G&P owners, what's your opinion on their guns?

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by OverdriveRules, Oct 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. OverdriveRules

OverdriveRules Member

In my four years of playing airsoft, I've had two G&P guns: an M16A1 - which has been my baby for those years and hasn't let me down until recently, when I've sent it to my local airsoft/paintball shop to get the wiring fixed - and an M16VN - which I bought as a reserve gun in case any of mine or my other family members' guns broke down and has also been good to me in spite of only seeing a lot of real action in recent weeks. Overall, I like that they have good firepower out of the box, and the internals and externals seem solid, not to mention they're real pellet hoses in full-auto with a 9.6v NiMH battery. If there are any drawbacks to them, it's the ridging on the outer barrels and the presence of "SAFE-SEMI-AUTO" markings on both sides of the lower receiver despite not having an ambidextrous selector switch, but these don't detract from the quality of the guns. Weirdly enough, despite being mostly the same gun externally, they seem to have different firepower ratings: the A1 does around 370 FPS with .25g pellets, and the VN does around 330 FPS with .25g pellets.

Overall, though, I believe that these guns are worth the cost, and I'd like to hear from other G&P owners what your opinions are on their guns.

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Well...where to start.

First, you can't generalize them all as of the same build spec and quality.

There is Asian Spec and Evike Spec and they are built in batches.

If you go an Asian spec. It's the better of the two. If you got an EVIKE unit, you were sold a sub-par unit. G&P is rather pissed at their brand denigration from EVIKE at the benefit of profits for him.

G&P prides themselves on accuracy like the mag release from a VN and A1, being different where the VN doesn't have a fence around it and the A1 does, but they are not perfect.

As for the A1 shooting hotter, are you the original owner. Over the history of G&P, most of them were made with M120 Springs and finding anything above that is not stock or a special run.

Also 2010-2012 are the Gold Standard Units...they were absolutely well made and consistent in this era of products.

I just got 4 CAR-15's in (Old Style) and they are getting a bit loose in the assembly.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    Terry103 likes this.

3. OverdriveRules

OverdriveRules Member

"Asian Spec" and "Evike Spec", you say? OK, I'll admit, I got the A1 from RedWolf Airsoft, but only because no one else had them in stock. The VN was an Evike purchase, however, and it came with a birdcage flash hider that would only have been accurate had I been going for that "SP1" look, which I wasn't. Fortunately, there was the proper duckbill flash hider in the box, which I painted bright orange before switching.

As for the A1 shooting hotter...yes, I am the original owner, and I swear to you, I DID NOT order any upgrades.

I can't comment on your CAR-15s, but I also read on some airsoft forum that certain G&P guns may need their gears replaced within 30,000 rounds.

4. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    If your A1 is running fine, we will leave it at that.

That 30K thing about gear issues is a very, very, very, very very, very, very old issue that the internet just continues to propagate by people that knows nothing of the issue. They are just parroting what they heard/read. Sadly there is no expiration date on this info.

The issue for the G&P gears breaking was only for the 2006-2007 series of AEG's made. This issue was correct back in 2007 and has not cropped up again en-masse like it did back then.

Terry103 likes this.
  5. OverdriveRules

OverdriveRules Member

Yeah, barring the fact that I had to bring it to a local airsoft/paintball store for a wiring issue, it's been very good to me. I've tripped and fallen at least once with both it and the VN, and both guns have survived.

OK, I didn't read the posting date of that post, so I'll take your word for it. That gives me pretty high hopes for both of my M16s.

6. Gimpalong

Gimpalong Member

Traverse City
    I think Guges has hit most of the important points. The "Asian Version" G&Ps, at least the several I've owned (M4A1, M733, M653), all had a retro "Colt gray" finish to them with accurate trademarks. The Evike G&P guns I've owned (CQBr, M16A3/M203) were flat black with G&P trades.

I have converted most of my G&P purchases directly to HPA, so I don't want to comment on AEG performance, but I have found the performance of G&P stock hop-up units to be quite poor. In my experience, the guns would have either zero hop or be way over-hopping with no room in between. In some cases, I've replaced the entire hop-up unit and in other cases I've simply switched to an aftermarket bucking and nub. Either of these options resolved the hop issues.

In general, I find it hard to recommend G&P guns because a blanket recommendation doesn't capture the nuance of "G&P guns are good IF you can get a Asian version, but steer clear of the Evike ones." So it's hard to recommend them when there's so much uncertainty about what product a buyer might receive.

Terry103 likes this.
  7. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    The Asian market units had the soft 60 durometer packing. Very grippy sends items into the sky. However, one must wash these units out due to oil and grease blowing out of the mechbox. After a time this would diminish and hop-up consistency was achievable.

8. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

I have a Colt Model 635 I got from Guges, very nice external appearance and stock internal performance, however all four 9mm mags I got can't feed to save their life lol. The follower is the wrong shape (does not build a proper double stack), and the spring is not quite strong enough. I have been experimenting trying to improve them but no success yet.

Someone at our field runs a G&P Transformer prob from Evike, very very loud pop due to short barrel and he likes it. He might have won the lottery as it doesn't seem to be giving him issues, although he does have another G&P he bought at the same time that just didn't work out of the box. Also, their i5 gearbox doesn't like working on 2s lipo so you have to run it on 3s.

Terry103 likes this.
  9. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    i5 is an Evike idea that wasn't "properly" funded...

10. OverdriveRules

OverdriveRules Member

OK, I don't think any of my guns have that. Still, it's interesting to hear what people have to say.

11. yrutimid

yrutimid Active Member

Phoenix
    are they any good at all?

12. OPairoft

OPairoft Active Member

Bend
    First ones seemed to have problems with the fets burning out. Have heard of a couple of gears or gb shells failing, but the main thing was the fets burning.

I will say, if they got there electronics right, the i5 could have been really good. A friends one is pretty nice and hasn’t burned out. He probably has 10-25k through his.

In a video of shot show 2020 evike did say they were going to be releasing a “i7” which supposedly would be better. Granted that might have been canceled or is just way way delayed because of the virus.

PTS also has the i5 in there “CAR 15” since it’s oem by g&p.

13. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    i5's were junk, a few had brittle mechboxes too. Brittle like glass brittle...dropped on hard surface and the mechbox shattered.

Why is he naming these mechboxes after Intel processors?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Terry103, aotsukisho and yrutimid like this.
  14. Raven1st

Raven1st Well-Known Member

San Ramon valley
    Because an i5 is all you need for gaming.

Terry103 and yrutimid like this.
  15. danerd

danerd Well-Known Member

Ozark
    Buried somewhere in my tech thread is a quick first-hand overview of the i5.

TL:DR, not good....not good at all. G&P is far better off with their old(er) gearboxes.

Having owned a few of the "Asia" models and directly compared them to the "US Evike" models, there is a difference between the two. The Asia models feel much better built and have better finish on the parts. The internals are also much better than those on the Evike models; beefier pistons, hop units that don't have a tendency to lose hop, barrels that aren't corroded/as dirty and as Guges said, better buckings.

16. interceptor

interceptor Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Los Angeles
    I went to Evike years ago and asked what they would recommend for an M4 (choosing between Krytac, KWA and G&P). They said G&P was clearly the worst of the three (maybe in not so many words).

I actually ended up by a TM SCAR-H somewhere else - go figure.

link0, yrutimid and aotsukisho like this.
  17. MADR77

MADR77 Well-Known Member

Boise
    Well they recommended KWA before G&P so that should tell you something's not right :D
    Good choice on the Marui though!

18. OPairoft

OPairoft Active Member

Bend
    I always thought they were trying to get into the paintball masks since the i5 from Dye. Didn’t help that they added transformer series which at first I believe didn’t have a i5 but now generally does I believe.

Terry103 likes this.
  19. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Well that would be true if it was an Evike G&P

Terry103 likes this.