G&P ROF build parts

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by TheLost, Dec 31, 2012.

1. TheLost

TheLost Conductor of the Poop Train Supporting Member

Columbus
    Price willing to spend in parts: $150
    GB Base: Front wired (deans) G&P 8mm V2 Gearbox http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=39748
    Build type: ROF
    Goals:
    ~310-350fps
    ~35+ BPS

What parts should I up/down grade? Gears? Bushings? Piston? Spring? Battery? Motor? Etc.?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. TheLost

Columbus

3. Blades

Blades New Member

From what I've heard, plan on replacing the piston (full metal tooth piston would be my preference, but polycarbonate if you want that) and the gear set. If you are going for under 350 FPS, 13:1 should be fine and you will have great trigger response with a lipo. 18:1's would be the best if you ever change your mind and go up to a M120 for ~400 FPS field limits. Stay away from matrix, I would personally go with SHS for the price, but others may talk you out of that because they had a bad batch of products a while ago and people have been frustrated with SHS since then, but I haven't had any problems personally. Just get SHS straight from Clandestine and be done with it; avoid Evike, PLEASE. As far as I know, everything else in a G&P gearbox should be quality. Throw in a Lonex A1 motor; people around here such as Star_Folder and Nor highly recommend them. Get a 25C 11.1v to get you up to 35 RPS. That is my $.02, and I'm not a professional, so get a second opinion on 35RPS builds. There are so many different ways to get there.

4. TheLost

Columbus
    Thank you! Fron what I've heard, as far as I know, the matrix gears are SHS gears, just repackaged and branded. But thanks for the info. Would you suggest an aluminum piston with full metal teeth or the Polycarb with metal teeth?

5. Blades

Blades New Member

I would recommend polycarb with metal teeth, because it will only destroy your gears instead of your entire GB if something goes wrong (grease runs out, misaligned, etc). An aluminum piston does a hell of a lot more damage if something goes wrong, so just stick with polycarb.

6. TheLost

Columbus
    Sounds good. I do have a question for the piston though. I've heard a lot about this SAT VVD piston, is it any good? Any suggestions on good piston if not? I just want to make sure I get this right in as few tries as possible.

7. Blades

Blades New Member

I haven't heard of that one before. I'd suggest getting someone else's opinion on that.

8. Col1500

Col1500 Member

Kent
    I disapprove of VVDs because they cause an intentional airleak, and I hate that. You're going to want a lightweight piston assembly. an SHS 15T or 14T should work fine with a POM piston head, I like the Lonex one. Don't use ball bearings on the piston head, get a spring guide with ball bearings instead. An M90 spring will work, or an M100 short stroked somewhere around 2 teeth. 13:1 gears with a Lonex A1 on a good 11.1V should put you around 40RPS.

9. mnmetalhead1

mnmetalhead1 GBB FTW Supporting Member

Hibbing
    I've heard of the vvd piston. I was thinking about ordering one but after some research it's pretty inconsistent fps wise. For $60 or whatever it costs you could get a good modify or classic army piston and have money left over for a piston head or bb spring guide. As for actual tech experience I guess I'm no tech according to people on here cause I don't do rhops even tho I've done plenty of gearbox work.

10. TheLost

Columbus
    And I do believe Col mnmetal have solved my problem! :D
    Thanks!
    Other opinions still appreciated though hah always yearn to learn ;)

and mnmetal, hey, i'm open to most anything for this. lol

11. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Don't use polycarb pistons. Nylon fiber are better.

12. mnmetalhead1

Hibbing
    If you can Swiss cheese I'm sure you can cut som serious weight out of a ca piston, and the modify piston I had felt indestructible. I had it and sold it 7 months back and he's still using that same piston. And I know people are going to complain but personally I see nothing wrong with the matrix high speed piston. I suppose the shs lightweight is cheaper tho

13. TheLost

Columbus
    Archer, where can I pick a decent on up? SHS I'm assuming for brand. SHS lightweight?

And mnmetal, I've heard good about that piston, a lot of it. But why are there so many negative connotations with Matrix? I've had no problem with 'em..

14. TheLost

Columbus
    14 or 15 tooth? I know the 14 would be easier to AOE but the 15 is supposedly more reinforced, I would just need to grind off the second tooth.

15. mnmetalhead1

Hibbing
    I don't know, I suppose ignorance. I've used the matrix pistons before and I know there nothing perfect but they're not a bad piston. I know the aim top lipo ready m4s are garbage tho. I had a buddy get a magpul one, externaly amazing (for the price), internals ****.

16. Blades

Blades New Member

Hmm, sounds alot like Classic Army...
    I know I'm a bit bitter about it, but I was pretty upset after dropping $200 on a brand new gun and having it break within 200 rounds. All is good now with the new G&P drop in, but I think Classic Army should completely cut their Sportlines, because all it is doing is dragging down their name. It would be better to make less money and have a good reputation than throw away a good reputation to make more money. Oh well.

Do you know how Matrix barrels are, compared to Prometheish/cheap competitors? Enlighten my ignorance towards Matrix.

17. mnmetalhead1

Hibbing
    Matrix barrels are nothing fancy from my experiance, but I never seriously tested it. And I agree with dropping the sport line but if they did they probably wouldn't make enough to stay afloat. People can't always afford the pro line. I know I loved my ca m15a4 seal till I sold it to my brother. But internally it was heavily upgraded and yes there is a matrix high speed piston in that to test them. M90 systema, element silent piston and cylinder heads, unknown bb spring guide, and its a blue ca torque motor with a 7.4 g&p lipo

18. TShiro

TShiro New Member

From what my local airsoft retailer said, he said that matrix isn't the best brand to get parts from (and kind of the guns) just because their a rebrand. He said just get it from the original manufacturer.

19. Col1500

Col1500 Member

Kent
    Exactly, why spend $37 on the gears when the originals only cost $17? That's why I don't like Matrix, they rebrand and knock prices up. Their Nimhs are alright though.