G&P's gun problems explained if you may...

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by poston, Aug 8, 2012.

1. poston

poston New Member

Colchester
    I've heard that the G&P's have some internal problems that originate at the gears? And well people say if you switch out one part you may as well switch out bunch of others in order to not have the gun break on you. I was wondering what internal parts specifically are so bad or typically so bad that you need to do work on 250+ dollar guns. I'm asking this b/c I'm considering buying a G&P m4/one of their many m4 variants. Thanks ahead of time

2. UrGirlfriendz

UrGirlfriendz New Member

Bridgewater
    The gears thing is a common misconception. It was one bad batch, it is no longer an issue. Only parts that really needs replacing in G&Ps is the piston, and if you want a higher spring you will probabley need anew motor as well.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

3. Col1500

Col1500 Member

Kent
    ^^ what he's said. I've been running my gears past what people said they'd break at. I'm around 20-25K rounds through right now. Only problem I've had is that the piston stripped while I was running an 11.1V. I can run one, and while not perfectly shimmed, my gun can still run one with the factory shimming just fine.

I also agree the motor's fine with M120 spring or lower, I pull about 20 on an M120 with my 9.6V, and about 25 on an M90 with the same battery. I run the M90 about 90% of the time, I shoot a lot more in CQB then field lol.

4. poston

poston New Member

Colchester
    Would it be ideal to shim my gears before I go out and field test it, just to make sure it doesn't poop out on me? Or are factory shimmed gears from G&P good enough? One last question that doesn't really pertain to the thread, is I see a lot of different looking G&P m4 variants, am I right in saying the only difference is the outer appearance, and the performance are all the same? Here's an example http://www.evike.com/product_info.p...33596&osCsid=ed7ff72a44ec9da329e859ca567ee034
    and http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_44_219&products_id=28041

5. Col1500

Col1500 Member

Kent
    Gears should be fine with the factory shimming, mine have lasted me almost a year, just reshimmed today actually. It's something you should do at some point, it's just not urgent.

All G&P V2 guns use the same gearbox, with very few exceptions. So yes, only the exterior is different. G&P has quite a versatile gearbox.

6. RCV

RCV New Member

Bad "batch"? Try about 3 years of guns off the production line having that issue.

7. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    ^^That

Lots of G&P that I work on are all because of gears breaking....

8. levirocks

levirocks #FreeNuggy Lifetime Supporter

arlington
    My G&P never worked long enough for my gears to break. :p

9. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    lol piston?

<wants a friggin Tanaka K98k but has no money lol

10. CQB

CQB New Member

So, what your saying is that all G&P's are ****....
    Now I don't like mine.

11. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    No, they are nice but have their issues.
    I have two of their SR-25s, the original conversion kit that's like 10 years old and a newer one.
    Trust me, I love them.

12. levirocks

levirocks #FreeNuggy Lifetime Supporter

arlington
    No wiring crapped out after 50 rounds. Piston had a lot of wear though. Like my old Proline CA's externals more also.