Gas gun cold issues?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Southpawlegend, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Southpawlegend

Southpawlegend New Member

Salisbury
    Is there anyway to beat the cold with a gas gun?
    Would it be a bad idea to try and insulate the co2 cartridge or use a hand warmer to keep it warm during winter ops?

2. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County
    I know guys who use hand warmers in their magazine pouches for GBBR mags. The problem with that is once you put the mag in the gun, it starts to cool down immediately.

Co2 is less effected by cold than Green Gas or Propane, but unless you can violate the laws of physics, there's nothing you can really do.

Competition shooters rig their GBB Race Gun pistols to HPA which is not affected by cool down from rapid fire nor is it generally affected by ambient temperature drops.

3. hasmeen

hasmeen New Member

Bakersfield
    Co2 should be fine in the cold you might loose a little bit of compression but that's it.

4. beanmaster50

beanmaster50 New Member

Superior
    You could attach a hand warmer to your holster???
    But you should't have much issue with co2 other than loosing a few fps.

5. Southpawlegend

Salisbury
  6. Tornado-Airsoft

Tornado-Airsoft New Member

Not much I can tell you that. Hmm it actually depends on the temp.

7. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County
    Unless your holster covers your grip, it won't do you any good.
    Warming the barrel and slide won't prevent cool down of the magazine.

8. Sharp

Sharp Member

Waukesha
    There was a guy at the field I use to go to who hollowed out his 1911's grips and stuck hand warmers in them. It worked for the first 3 shots or so but then it just went back to its cooldown ways. Nothing we can really do about it as of now.

Like Sparky said, if you were so inclined you could always tap your mags for HPA/Co2 (not the capsules but the actual tanks) but that's a hassle and then you're having to attach a hose to each mag as you reload and it's just messy.

Co2 mags are really are best bet and really they're not that much better, at least in Wisconsin.

9. Southpawlegend

Salisbury
    I have a co2 in the bolt of my sniper and its probably going to be around 40-50 degrees next time I play