GBB Pistol Conundrum

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by Foshizl, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Foshizl

Foshizl New Member

St. Louis
    Alright, here it is:

Price Range: TBD

Model: M1911

Type: GBB (no gas type preference)

Role: Backyard plinking, practice for real pistol shooting, sidearm for sniper.

I'm thinking an MEU, mainly, by Socom Gear. I'll take any suggestions though.
    P226, M9 I guess, but give me a good, out of the box, no bullpoop pistol that is as close to the real deal as possible. I intend to use it to refine my pistol marksmanship skills, as I live in town limits, and have no gun range nearby.
    Thanks guys,

Foshizl

2. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    Give that you've listed no price, I'm going to suggest a TM 1911 or MEU. They make, bar none, the best 1911 on the market. They perform better, look better, and last better than anything else out there (okay, WAs look better, but they're way over priced and fragile. WAs have become show pieces in today's market). TM's 1911 series (and P226 series for that matter) stands heads and shoulders above the rest.

If you want an M9, KSC's is still top dog. TM's old M9s suck hard, and their new one is relatively untested so I'm reluctant to recommend it. For an M9, KSC is the way to go.

3. Foshizl

Foshizl New Member

St. Louis
    Lookin' at TM's lineup....
    Any words, good or bad, on Tm's Nightwarrior 1911? I'm gonna guess it's just like their other 1911s.
    Also, the MEU, is this by Socom Gear? Or WE? Excuse my noobery, just curious on a few matters.

4. Knief

Ann Arbor
    The MEU is a real pistol made by Springfield Armory for the Marine Expeditionary Unit. There are a number of different replicas on the market, including those by TM, WA, KJW, and WE/SOCOM Gear. Just like with AEGs, what really matters is the manufacturer, not the model. TM's MEU is a great pistol, WE's MEU is junk.

TM's Nightwarrior uses the same internals as the rest of the 1911 line and externals that are on par with the rest of their line up. It's a great pistol if you like it's styling. I'm not a fan of that big rail, but that's a personal thing. The only other consideration here is that it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to fit that pistol in a SERPA. There should be a Safariland holster that will hold it, but it'll cost a lot of money.

5. Foshizl

Foshizl New Member

St. Louis
    Got it. Thanks!
    Deciding between the TM or the KJW. Still got some time.

6. FSTK

FSTK Member

If you're praticing for RS, ditch the 1911 and get a Glock type pistol. If you insist on the 1911 design, then get a marui hipcapa 4.3 and put an infinity slide on there for starters. There are MEU type pistols for airsoft that replicate RS companies like Para and STI if you're inclined.

I personally use a Glock 17 for home defense and practice with the Marui G17/18C in airsoft. Polymer frame really makes a difference in total weight.

Although why not a USP or CZ?

7. Knief

Ann Arbor
    What? The MEU is a specific model made for and used by a couple Marine units. Neither the Para Ordnance nor the SVI or STI 2011s is anything close to an MEU other than being based on the original Colt 1911 design. Calling them "MEU type" is about as wrong as it gets.

8. FSTK

FSTK Member

I disagree but I'm not going to argue with a mod as that's unrelated to this topic. It looks like the OP knows what to do so that's good enough.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  9. Knief

Ann Arbor
    No, I don't agree to disagree on the subject. Facts aren't multiple choice. The MEU is a specific pistol, and it's a specific pistol that is neither a Para Ordnance nor a 2011. If you want to get technical, there have been a couple iterations of MEUs, but still, none of them were any of the pistols that you called "MEU style." You're free to disagree if you don't like facts or reality, but you're wrong and I need you not to post wrong information on these boards.