gear box turnover problem

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Tenhoff, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Tenhoff

Tenhoff New Member

washington d.c
    I own a basic jg m4, I have had it for a while and it's cut out on me recently. I have tried different batteries and so on but the gears won't turn, I even tried adjusting the torque motor a bit but nothing. does anyone know what this problem is and how to fix it?

2. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Have you checked the usual causes like loose connectors, broken wires or a tripped fuse?

3. Tenhoff

Tenhoff New Member

washington d.c
    yeah, it had a tripped fuse but even after I replaced it, nothing.

4. Lefse

Did you check the connectors on the motor and if there's any damaged wiring? It may be as simple as a loose motor connector.

5. Thunderbo15

Thunderbo15 New Member

Saint Charles
    Is it trying to move? Like can you feel/hear the motor starting but not moving the gears? If so then it sounds like a locked gearbox

6. bobalini

bobalini New Member

Thousand Oaks
    Grab a paperclip and remove your motor and grip, the gear you can see there with have a anti reversal latch there bend the paperclip at a 90* angle and get it under the ar latch so when you pull it unjams the ar latch. This might fix your problem.

7. Lefse

That will only remove the symptom, it won't fix the problem. A gearbox locking up is usually caused by a serious issue with the gun.

8. Tenhoff

Tenhoff New Member

washington d.c
    It's sounding to me like a gear box lock up issue, the gears want to turn but won't.

9. Lefse

This is usually caused by either bad shimming, incorrect motor height, a dead battery or a dead motor if it's not an electrical issue. You've tried different batteries and adjusting the motor so that leaves either a mechanical issue inside the gearbox, a fried motor or some sort of issue with the wiring. If the motor "clicks" then it's getting power and it's not a wiring issue. You'll simply have to open the gearbox and look for any broken parts.

10. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    try a new battery...

11. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    I think he has tried a new battery.

12. spazzticsmurff

spazzticsmurff Member

phoenix
    He already said he tried different batterys. Next time try reading the whole post and remembering what was said so that you don't look like an idiot.

Nor tech has the right advice.
    It sounds like you are getting power. You can try to reset the gb and see if it starts to run normal again, but the blown fuse and the locked gb points to a larger mechanical issue inside the gb and you are probably going to have to service it.

13. bobalini

bobalini New Member

Thousand Oaks
    What kind of motor/ battery do you have setup?

14. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    The only idiot is you. If you had read the post then you would now someone already pointed that out. Also being disrespectful to members who are 10x smarter then you in this specific field makes you just look like a jack-***.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  15. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    i've seen many try different batteries, but never tried a new battery... there is a difference. if the spring is compressed, old batteries may not have the amps to cycle it. a new battery will. if this makes me look like an idiot, then so be it. the first thing i do when a player has this type of problem is i use one of my LiPo's to complete the cycle. if it doesn't, then i pop out the motor grip cover to make sure the motor spins freely. then it's time to open up the gearbox.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  16. bobalini

bobalini New Member

Thousand Oaks
    Your right on and thats what I do. You don't look stupid in my opinion. The OP did not specify anything as far as his battery so it could be a 8.4 for all we know. He has been vague this whole time. It would help if we knew what parts he has to unless it is 100% stock.

17. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    Cool so this has turned into a who has a bigger dick thread?
    Spazz had a point on reading but that's about it.
    Seriously focus on the problem.

Now OP....like Alex asked, what kinds of batteries have you tried?

Have you tried poping the ARL?

Is the motor in good health? (Pull the motor out of the grip, put the connectors on and pull the trigger, check if the motor spins smoothly with torque.)

Have you checked if BBs or debris got into the gear box? (yes it happens.....)

If all fails, reshim it.

18. spazzticsmurff

spazzticsmurff Member

phoenix
    alex: i offer my appoligies. that was my first reaction thought upon seeing the post.
    and since you change your pic so much i didnt realize that it was you or i would have thought that you had a better reason for saying to try a new battery.

jake: this forum is the only one that i am a member of that doesnt inform you before your post goes through that somebody else has posted since you last viewed the page.
    i was in the process of making that post on my phone and didnt feel like going back and editing in a lil sniped coment.

the fallowing comments are not ment to start a flame war or a who is the smarter tech contest between me and alex. he is a great tech and has a good knowledge base of airsoft stuff and his advice should be listened to.

as for alex being 10x smarter than me in this specific field, you have no idea of my level of experience in teching airsoft guns, so you have no basis to judge if alex is smarter than me in this area. yes, alex has been apart of this forum for much longer than me and has a much higher post count than i do, but we all know that a high post count doesnt mean that you know what you are talking about. (alex does)
    i have been apart of my local airsoft comunity, (az) for over 12yrs and have been working on and teaching others how to work on their guns for almost as long.
    i understand that you wanted to stand up for a member that you respect so i wont take any big offence to your comments. i did sound like a jack a**.

i will not derail this thread any further and regret that i have done it at all.

19. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    although i'm asian, my penis is still 10x bigger than my teching skills... LoL

20. Cookiemonster21

Cookiemonster21 New Member

Los Molinos
    Hey I'd try swapping the motor wires if it had a blown fuse. Mine was blowing fuses because when I dissassbled my GB i had routed the wires differently.