Gearbox issues

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by cysko, Nov 28, 2012.

1. cysko

cysko New Member

Hey guys, so far I have finally created my CQB setup but I hit issues with my SHS high speed motor. When I first put my motor in(with my upgrades) all it would do was click, now of coarse I checked my contacts and battery right away and after charging my 2000 MaH 7.4 lipo, all it did was click. I then put back in my old motor and all is good now, my question is what is the problem here? Would it be my hat my gears are to high of a ratio?(18:1) or is my problem that this motor won't work with my m110?

My gears are also short strokes 1 tooth and I have my standard motor that came with the gun( Jg m4 CQB-R 2010 model)

2. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    I'm assuming you already tried adjusting motor height? If not loosen the screw below the grip some.

3. cysko

cysko New Member

Your assumption would be correct

4. marine121496

Ann Arbor
    And when you say you checked the contacts did you make sure you had the wire polarities correct?

5. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Does the SHS motor work outside of the gun?

6. cysko

cysko New Member

Correct, I even took the motor and just ran it without it in the grip and it works great, it just won't turn the gears.

7. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    It sounds to me like you may have a combination of problems which include, but are not limited to: motor height is way off, your shimming is a tad tight, and the motor doesn't have enough torque to pull it under these conditions.

8. cysko

cysko New Member

Ok I might have to take a few shims out, I have tried the motor at multiple heights and none have worked.

9. Col1500

Col1500 Member

Kent
    You didn't do anything to your gun except change out the motor though, right? If you haven't and the motor works fine outside of the gun, your motor either came fried or that motor just wants a really weird motor height. Also, see if your old motor works in the gun again. It may be that your gearbox coincidentally locked up at the same time you changed the motor out. :p

10. marine121496

Ann Arbor
    *yawn* .

11. cysko

cysko New Member

When I upgraded my gun these are the parts I up in.

Super shooter cylinder head
    SHS 15T piston
    Ball bearing piston head
    Echo 1 m110
    Deans connectors

Everything works great with my old motor, but when I try the SHS one..everything just goes BLAH!

12. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Might have a motor set/angle issue here.

Check the width of the pinion compared to the old JG pinion.

And make sure the motor works in general lol

13. cysko

cysko New Member

Ok I'll check that out, pretty sure it works ;)

14. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Some fixes I've ran into with the same problem. But.... All were resolved with the fixes.

- You'd have to play around with the screws that set the grip to gearbox. You can move the pitch of the grip 1-2mm+ depending on gun.

- make sure wires are set and "routed" the correct way and that the motor can shift up and down freely before putting the motor plate on :)

- or... Re-shim if its really bad and noticeable.

- if you don't have a spare "d-pinion" to change the stock SHS pinion gear. File down the stock SHS to match the width and pitch of the stock. Be careful and don't take off too much. And do this at your own risk lol.

15. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    did you spin test the gears in the gearbox with screws tightened down? even if your old motor works (JG) the new motor hasn't been broke in yet and any tight shimming might affect it. new motors have squared brushes, when broke in, the brushes mate to the armature contacts and works more efficiently.

don't forget your bevel pinion shimming...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. cysko

cysko New Member

Ok guys so today I put the SHS motor back in and tested(without doing a thing) and it worked fine in it, but I noticed that my ROF and semi trigger speed was decreased. So I will just sell that motor and either keep the one I have now, or get a more torquey motor.

17. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    That's weird lol. And that would be a first to hear lol.

I hope your battery was fully charged atleast lol ;)

Well there are other cheap motors out there :) so go for it man