gearbox lockup

Discussion in 'Airsoft Images & Video' started by alex, Oct 1, 2012.

1. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    LoL...

a friend of mine was so happy his fn2000 was hitting 30rps about a week ago. until it arrived on my work table. running 11.1v without AOE correction. i didn't charge him for a temporary repair. i dropped in a JG orange so he can use his AEG that day until he gets an SHS14 (i was doing some tech work at the indoor arena swap meet).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

Stock G&G with LiPo:

Attached Files:

3. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    Haha... Oh god, ripped the piston right up. That sucks. This goes to show you how important a good AOE is. At least you were there to save the day.

4. bbattlefield

bbattlefield New Member

What is the best method of correcting AOE?

5. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    it depends on the performance level. for cqb, 350/25, a rubber washer glued to the cylinder head works fine.

400/20, you can get away with a rubber washer
    400/30, sorbo with protection
    300/30, rubber washer
    300/50, sorbo

for more of a stock setup 380/15, you can use nylon washers between the piston head and piston.

you don't have to use sorbo, anything that can withstand the piston pounding on it that is able to absorb the shock will work. it also depends on the gearbox. those i listed are for stock JG v2. it's not the strongest v2 gearbox. there are aftermarket v2's that are much stronger and doesn't required the extra shock absorbancy of sorbo.

AOE does two things, allows proper meshing between piston pickup tooth with sector gear and also protects the gearbox front end from cracking.

6. bbattlefield

bbattlefield New Member

I see now. Thanks. I thought it was shaving the piston teeth down so that its the vertical mesh you are trying to achieve... Lol. So you are trying to get it where the top gear hits the pickup tooth on the piston perfectly flat, so you adjust piston length? Or is it just softening the blow on the front of the gearbox?

7. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    both...

when AOE is adjusted correctly, the 2nd and 3rd teeth will interfere with the new angle. therefore, 2nd tooth needs to be removed (some aftermarket pistons already do this) and just a little trimming necessary on the 3rd tooth.

8. bbattlefield

bbattlefield New Member

Ah I see. Thanks. I have a SHS piston which my local shop recommends that already has the 2nd removed and the 3rd I think is a tad short if I remember it correct. (shop custom ordered). Thanks for your help.