Airsoft Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
727 Posts
What is your "max allowable field limit for a DMR?" If you're concerned with range and accuracy, a good hopup packing/nub in addition to a good spring will be the ticket. Hopup packing/nub should be your first focus (after seal compression, DIY mods and all that). I see you just want a gearbox with a quick change spring feature, personally I can't recommend a QC gearbox that would fit in your receiver without problems, maybe someone else with more experience here could help you with that. Darn "no standards industry" made it so we can't even swap v2 gearboxes in different brand m4s.

· Administrator
12,082 Posts
Well if yo have money to burn you can try experimenting with a RA Splitter for 200.00, just be ready to spend more for additional parts and then modify to fit.

Really a QCS system would be so much better...

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
1) What is your "max allowable field limit for a DMR?"
- I have no idea, Ive been out of airsoft for a decade.

2) I can't recommend a QC gearbox that would fit in your receiver without problems, maybe someone else with more experience here could help you with that. Darn "no standards industry" made it so we can't even swap v2 gearboxes in different brand m4s
- I appreciate the heads up ... I have a whole garage of power tools :devilish:

3) Really a QCS system would be so much better...
- yes i am leaning towards that direction... 10 years ago the ICS split gearbox was the least hassle way of changing a spring and i had no idea QCS are available now.

I guess let me restate my goal.. I want this to crank as much power as it can ... based on the field limit for a dmr. ( and have the availability to swap springs quick to meet that fields rules)

What would you recommend for gears and piston if per say i wanted to put a M160 spring in it?

· Administrator
12,082 Posts
M160...for a SSG...nothing can take that for long. And that far exceed all filed limits...

Before you build, you really need to know your operating parameters. You can't shoot for the moon if you don't know there the moon is....

· Premium Member
207 Posts
( and have the availability to swap springs quick to meet that fields rules)
I know quick change springs sound fine and dandy, and they are convenient, but I feel I need to drop this heads up...swapping out the spring in a finely tuned AEG completely changes the system. So, if you tune your AEG to a M160 spring and then swap in a higher or lower spring it's not a guarantee that your replica is going perform well. At all. Changing one part of a system completely changes the efficiency of the entire system.

· Premium Member
207 Posts
Also, IMO the best part of the QSC isn't the ability to change the spring on the fly at the field. I've actually never, ever done that. It's convenience is in the ease it brings to reassembling your gearbox when teching :LOL:

· Administrator
12,082 Posts
You know the capture the spring guide technique to keep the box from "popping" right? This is only for V2 though...

· Administrator
12,082 Posts
yep

· Premium Member
676 Posts
The easiest QCS I've ever used was on a Cyma Platinum AR-47. And as Guges pointed out, you can back the screw out the back and lower FPS by probably 15 or 20. Only problem is it's extremely proprietary. But that's a problem with just about any QCS system.

· Registered
352 Posts
Figure out where you'd be playing and what their limits are for FPS--that'll really help us recommend proper parts.

For reference, my field calls anything over 400 with .20s a DMR and limits you to a 50 foot MED. That makes a fair amount of stock guns "DMRs" in name, if not in accuracy.

QCS is a big deal if you're not already good at putting the spring in. I swear I would've quit teching the first time I tried to reassemble a gearbox if I hadn't had a QC spring guide.

Make sure you add some steel bushings to your shopping list, if your gearbox shell doesn't have them already. Heavier springs tend to do a number on bearings, as I recently experienced...

As a side note, I have actually used a QCS system to change a spring on the fly. I was taking a newly built gun out to the local field, and while I was there decided that having my gun shoot 460 wasn't worth getting a 100 foot MED. (over 450 with .20s is 100 foot minimum) A guy lent me an M130 he had sitting around, and I had the power changed in five minutes.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts