Gearbox Type 2 vs Type 3?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Hawk TK-9401, May 18, 2009.

1. Hawk TK-9401

Hawk TK-9401 Member

Brandon
    Hi, Im looking at these two guns. One is $35 less, but has a type 3 gearbox, the othere is $35 more but has Type 2 gearbox.

What is the difference between the versions gearboxes? (I really dont know anything about this)

And is one of these guns better for the money?

Double Eagles M89P UMG Ver. 2 AEG Airsoft Gun by: Double Eagles -

JG M4A1 Airsoft Gun ( Basic Version ) by: JG - Airsoft GI - Welcome to

Im trying to help my bro-in-law get a gun and these are the two we are looking at.

THanks guys!

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. SN1P3R

SN1P3R New Member

Only difference in gearbox types is the shape

3. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Pierce County
    Not quite.

V2 gearboxes do not fare well under high powered setups due to an inherently weak front end. Even reinforced V2 gearboxes are not as strong up front as a V3 gearbox.

Another major difference is to test the V2 gearbox, you have to essentially put it back in the gun (or at least mount the grip) to test it.
    The V3 (and V6/V7) have motor cages to hold the motor in place so you can test your shimming/compression/wiring/etc... before reassembling your gun.

Also, a V3 gearbox can be rewired without having to open it up.
    In a V2 gearbox, the wires run into the gearbox and therefore become quite the pain to deal with, especially if you want some high end wire in there.

V2 gearboxes can also suffer from Bushing Rub. This is when the left side spur gear bushing sticks out just a little too much and rubs on the selector plate. This can cause problems with semi-automatic fire in some cases.

In a nut shell, there's a whole lot more difference between the V2 and V3 gearbox than size and shape.

:cool:

4. R.Hallahan

R.Hallahan Guest

type three is more robust and thick when you get into good quality guns, ie: KWA, ICS, TM, KA, VFC, and G&G.

5. wraith12

wraith12 New Member

sparky.....what kind of issues specifically do you mean with semi auto fire?..............:eek::confused::eek:

6. Sparky_D

Pierce County
    Sometimes the bushing keeps just enough pressure on the selector plate that it doesn't move forward enough to push the cam lever down, then semi becomes full auto.
    Just finished fixing an ICS M4 with that exact issue, lol

7. Funkytownman

Funkytownman New Member

Isn't it also that the V2 also has a tendency to lock up? So semi auto will work for a few shots, then will stop shooting?

8. Sparky_D

Pierce County
    Nope, that's the V3, but only in the MP5K because of its funky selector plate design.

9. wraith12

wraith12 New Member

:eek:
    :eek:

please tell me how you fixed it... everynow and then, my gun is full auto only.........:eek:

10. Sparky_D

Pierce County
    Thinner bushings.
    SRC and Deepfire bushings seem to be thin enough to not interfere.

Another thing to look at is your cut off lever. I sometimes have to shim under the screw so it stays flat against the gearbox side and won't twist out of the trigger group.

11. deathmechanic

deathmechanic Active Member

Davis
  12. Echihn

Echihn New Member Supporting Member

All the internal gear / bushing type issues on a v2 can be solved by popping in the complete gear unit by ratech. The one that was in magazines about 2-3 years ago, and never came out... is now out.

Check it out. 75$, and will take all of the headaches of working on a mech box away (being its just lining gears and holding them while you put the 2 sides together. I used to always hate the 1 pin that never aligned and caused a 2nd stripdown).

You can find it on ratech's taiwain site (being they are in taiwan). Dont feel like finding the url :D

13. deathmechanic

Davis
    Wow ive seen them before but not taken apart i might need some for my next project.

14. hairyman

hairyman New Member Supporting Member

Dublin
    I still think the V3 is the better stock box,,by a long shot.

Its more or less the reason why ive moved over to AK and away from the M4/16/AR replica's.

15. Merc

Merc Guest

Thanks for the info on that cuzz!

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  16. ZQ_13

ZQ_13 New Member

I definitely have to agree with sparky d, version 3 gearboxes are very robust and reliable. My Echo1 G36c has a V3 gearbox and its practically bulletproof..... Over 50,000 rounds though it and I've never had a problem or even needed to open it up for maintenance. ......Not saying V2 boxes are bad though.... I've really haven't seen too many issues with them either.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  17. Echihn

check beck at 200,000 rounds.

Interested to see if its still holding up.

18. deathmechanic

Davis
    Im sorry but version 1 gearbox beats everything v1 gearbox is like a solid hunk of metal!!!!!!

19. Echihn

lol. in that case, a classic bv unit beats a v1! "D No where else will you see a million rounds with 0 gun care :D