Getting a more reliable AEG

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Ulster, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Ulster

Ulster New Member

Ventura
    I'm new to Airsoft and I have been carrying an ARES L1A1 at the outdoor field near me. While I love the look and feel of it and it does turn heads, I have found that even with a complete internal rebuild it is not the most reliable AEG and it is very LONG and I've been using it as a DMR.

Now with that being said, I would like to get a M4 for games that I'm not doing the DMR thing. I would like one that is very good right out the box but can be upgraded as my skill level and desire for even greater performance increase. Budget for this mythical AEG is around $300. Seriously, I am asking for real advice as I've been researching the different brands and I haven't been able to separate the Company propaganda and Fanboy chatter from real solid reviews. I have read some good things about Cyma and KWA but I'm open to suggestions from those more knowledgeable than I.

Thanks in advance!

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    They are all decent...even at the $200 level if you just buy the basics. Add cuts, features and massive amounts of rails...and you pay for cosmetic bits more than "performance".

E&C are decent and you can get them for 240.00 shipped. I am about to import some more for local players.

Ulster likes this.

3. adas1223

adas1223 Well-Known Member

stratford
    A simple m4 cqbr can narrow your search. Further: full metal receiver and no mosfet. From what I can see, the basic trigger are more reliable than most pre installed mosfets. Plus leaves room for aftermarket etus.

Ulster likes this.
  4. Ulster

Ulster New Member

Ventura
    Thanks for the replies and advice. That gives me something to look deeper into.

cheers, Stephen

5. Miles Guy

Miles Guy New Member

Fort Worth
    The King Arms PDW is a great gun, stock and for upgrades. I bough this and upgraded the entire gear box with shs gears, metal toothed piston, deans wiring, the asg infinity motor, and a bunch of other stuff

You are correct about Cyma being good, just helped a friend buy one for his first gun. It was very solidly built and performed surprisingly well in the field (this was the CYMA Sport M4 with the UX3 hand guard)

Also EMG has some great options for a couple dollars over 300, for example, the EMG F-1 firearms SBR

Hope this helps

Ulster likes this.
  6. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    EMG F-1...no...anything with cuts in the receiver is rather short sighted...might as well pour in dirt with your bbs too.

7. Miles Guy

Miles Guy New Member

Fort Worth
    Well, I haven't personally tried an F-1, but I have used other EMGs and like their performance. Specifically the short SIA gray and the one of the Warthog line. Though only using them in the field, not working on internals.

8. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    SIA? Or do you mean SAI?

These are all 6mm blowguns...with that in mind. It is more important to get what appeals to you on looks and feel rather than performance.

With that...the F-1 is still stupid in all it's forms. Who in their right mind would want holes in their receiver that would allow dirt to get into the action...yes makes the weapon lighter...but that should not be the point.

And I bring this up again. I said the same thing on an AR forum that the F-1 is stupid in design and an actually F-1 owner got in my "virtual" face about it being the best thing since slide bread.

I went and just posted this picture...

[​IMG]

...and asked. How sure are you that your F-1 is going to fire more than 2 rounds consecutively?

The Forum just laughed at him and he had no retort...

Well same issue for AEG one...last thing you want is a less restricted path for dirt to get inside the mechbox.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  9. adas1223

adas1223 Well-Known Member

stratford
    *hugs my mws f-1 gbbr

10. Miles Guy

Miles Guy New Member

Fort Worth
    I meant SAI

11. Miles Guy

Miles Guy New Member

Fort Worth
    Also it's just airsoft, Lol. If the F-1 is a bad design, cool tell people how it broke on you to help them from making a bad purchase

12. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Active Member

Those F-1 guns come with that Silver Edge gearbox with both spring windows and a ported cylinder...a gearbox not known for reliability with direct to environment pathways for foreign matter to enter and accelerate internal wear. I personally would not go for one, aesthetics aside.

To answer your question Ulster - KWA and Krytac AEGs are supposed to be good out of the box, I certainly had no problems with my TK.45c and some guys at my field love the KWA Ronin series and their Krytac Defiance guns. Others at my field run G&P AEGs (Transformer series I think) but I've had magazine feed issues with G&P in the past unlike any other brands. I personally am a fan of G&G's offerings, and their price point is usually lower if you don't mind a plastic receiver.

Also do not buy Classic Army unless you enjoy getting something either DOA or malfunctioning out of the box and zero customer service/support.

Ulster likes this.
  13. OPairoft

OPairoft Active Member

Bend
    The F1 guns are oem aps...which is a pretty good sign that they are meh to bad.

The newer F1 and aps guns are coming with a mosfet like the Ares, just it doesn’t require a separate thing to program the gun. Also supposedly, it can take more amps than the Ares one.

14. Ulster

Ulster New Member

Ventura
    Thanks for all the replies. You've given me things to think about. Now if I can ask your collective opinion about an AEG... what are your thoughts between the Elite Force Next Gen MCR M4 and the APS ASR-117? They are both on sale and well within my budget.

Thanks in advance

15. LightIsRight

LightIsRight Well-Known Member

Cannon Falls
    Neither are great, but one is APS.

16. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    It's on sale for a reason...and cheap is not always good in Airsoft.

If you want "reliable"...don't buy APS or EF products...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Ulster likes this.
  17. Ulster

Ulster New Member

Ventura
    OK, Thanks for that info. Wasn't sure about the reputation of either of those companies. Will avoid both.