Getting back into it and interested in a GBB rifle

Discussion in 'Gas Powered Guns' started by SSGHopkins, Jun 6, 2015.

1. SSGHopkins

SSGHopkins New Member

Ok so after a 3 year break I am getting back into airsoft. I had to take a break after my second back surgery due to a disagreement with a 107 mm rocket in afghanistan. I thought I had the right of way but apparently he did....at least I got the A10 on target before the rocket dropped my tower. But anyway I want a GBB as it most accurately represents my rifle in the Army. I know the whole don't use in cold weather but I live in Costa Rica right now (wife is from here and finishing her degree) so cold weather is not an issue. I am curious as to which one to get and how to upgrade it for fp sand accuracy. I was a sniper for 12 of my 17 years so accuracy is pretty important in my life. Well thanks for any advice you guys can give.

RTLW

2. RicoTheNinja

RicoTheNinja Member

Mobile
    Honestly depends on your budget on what is good. There are different brands (Good in their own way). TBB and bucking possibly RHOP for accuracy/range. NPAS for adjustable FPS

3. Pirate223

Pirate223 New Member

There are lots of options based on different factors: budget, style preference, etc.
    I'm assuming you'd like a GBB M4A1.

If your budget isn't a problem, then I'd suggest the GHK M4. It's very reliable and one of, if not the most realistic GBB M4s on the market.

If you are on a budget, I'd suggest a WE M4, KWA LM4, or a KJW M4. These all have their ups and downs. The WE has the most potential for upgrades and stuff out of the three, though. I'd look at the WE first, then the KJW and then the KWA.
    The KJW will be the most reliable of the 3 once you buy 3 aftermarket upgrades. The KWA has virtually no upgrade options, and the WE has the best looking exterior as well as having good reliability.
    Let me know if you want to know more about these 3 brands, there's a lot of info that can be important if you want to purchase one of them.

G&P makes steel WOC M4s as well. These are quite classic in the airsoft world and are very upgradeable\interchangeable. They also demonstrate good performance and reliability out of box (the steel version only, though).

All of the above GBBRs are gas-in-mag guns. If you're willing to have a hose run out of the pistol grip to you backpack (attaching to a air tank) then I'd suggest a Tippmann M4. Polarstar M4s are also great guns, but they lack any blow back and are far more expensive than the Tippmann while being just as reliable.

Summary:
    If you want maximum performance achievable with blowback, then I'd suggest the Tippmann. If you want maximum blowback, then I'd suggest the GHK M4. If you want maximum performance period, then I'd suggest the polarstar (no blowback).

4. MP5User

MP5User Active Member

Westfield
    Tipmann is not realistic to a standard GBBR. I too would highly suggest the GHK. It's definitely on the more expensive side, but performance is unparalleled compared to many others below it. It's roots are also in the Magna system, which is run with other brands like WA and G&P, and is the most supported GBBR line in existence.

If you're replicating your deployment weapon then that'll come down to externals mainly. Accuracy and that sort of thing, should you not be satisfied out of the box, can be changed with various internal parts.

5. SSGHopkins

SSGHopkins New Member

Ok so maybe I need to get an AEG first then save up for a GBB since either the kwa or ghk are going to set me back a lot considering I need to buy at least 7 mags to go with it.... plus being in Costa Rica there is not a lot of support for gbb....man I can't wait to get back to the states

6. Raven1st

Raven1st Well-Known Member

San Ramon valley
    If you want an airsoft gun that is reliable, consistent and strong: get an AEG.
    Gas guns are just not that great if you just want a good airsoft gun because they require a large amount of maintenance just to keep them running and a large wallet to make them last.

It sounds like you value accuracy as well so an AEG would be a much better choice in that regard. Not that GBB's are extremely terrible, they just don't have as much performance to offer as a decent AEG.

At least GBB's make cool noises when they shoot, though.

7. wartimeopbrokenhome

wartimeopbrokenhome New Member

How about the performance of an aeg and the realism of a gbbr? Recoil guns are a thing,

8. SSGHopkins

SSGHopkins New Member

I think I am now leaning towards a krytac spr and making it into a dmr. Now can dmr's be used in the big scenario games? And how do you make one semi only so it can be used?

9. SSGHopkins

SSGHopkins New Member

BTW I love learning new stuff

10. wartimeopbrokenhome

Not really. They will have more range but not by much at all. Kind of why I recommended recoil shocks, best stock hop ups out there. Not to mention realistic,

11. Kln75

Kln75 Member

Melissa
    With the proper hop up work and gearbox modification a DMR can have double the range of most stock aegs. Keep in mind however if you do decide to build a dedicated DMR keep in mind it will not be cheap and it will take lots of work and patience.

12. Allizard

Allizard Member

Brea
    I often hear enough people recommend Recoil Shock. So how is the situation of getting their mag? AFAIK you can only use their mag in order to get the bolt to stop when the mag is empty. Similar to the ERG.

Unlike the ERG, don't you need an adaptor to use aftermarket mag?

13. wartimeopbrokenhome

Yes you need an adapter but, with the erg and the recoil shock you need the mag made for it to have the bolt lock and stop shooting when firing.

The general opinion on recoil shocks is that they are one of the best aegs out there but, come with a steep price.

14. MP5User

MP5User Active Member

Westfield
    DMR in airsoft really doesn't mean anything... There is no true DMR without a V2.5 or elongated cylinder. Standard V2 doesn't put out enough volume to be called a DMR, even if you build it up. Adding a scope and a longer barrel doesn't automatically make something a DMR.

recoil AEG is an option, but it's never going to reach the realism of a GBB. There's recoil, but it'll never match the function that a GBBR has for that reason. Regarding accuracy, GBBs can and still are equally accurate. Consistency is often blurred because follow up shots are more difficult for users. Once you get used to the way a GBB fires, it's equally as competitive. Considering you have experience with firearms, presumably in a combat environment, this won't be an issue for you.

While not the same, you will also find GBBR internals to be strikingly similar to your issued firearms. GHK/WA/Magna are among the closer in specs, and for the most part, function is similar enough that knowing real ARs will mean you're fairly well suited here.