Featured Getting customers for tech work

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Calidoo, May 21, 2020 at 8:26 PM.

1. Calidoo

Calidoo New Member

Elko
    Hey guys so I have been having trouble getting customers for tech work, I'd say that I'm somewhat young for a tech. I personally dont see that as a problem unless I screw something up and people think I'm unable to fix it with my own money (which I am prepared for). I think that if someone is truly a good tech and knows the way around a gearbox then it's fine. I have done simple maintenance on two guns and done more "complex" stuff to two others. I've posted on hop up and trI'd to get my word out but whether they know I'm younger or not nobody shows any interest. I also know that more people are finding out that teching is really not that hard thus less people but still, there has to be at least some people right?

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    I wouldn't send my AEG off to have it "worked" on. I would prefer local work. So, try that...advertise on local forums, venues and groups.

I would only send off an item for work if the person doing it is well known "and" they can do something special that no one else can...

And as people are learning...AEG modification is not as simple as the internet makes it out to be...especially by kids who mutter...just slap in parts ZZA2 and you will shoot lasers,...

aotsukisho likes this.

3. adas1223

adas1223 Well-Known Member

stratford
    Yeah, I'd go to a local shop first. Unless you have a very established YouTube channel of your awesome builds and tutorials, VERY few will ship you their gun.

4. cetane

cetane Well-Known Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    Most of the work I do has been local guys/gals.. I have had some people ship stuff to me, for lathe work.. there is a bunch of techs that are really good within an hour commute from me, but not so many with access to a lathe, so that’s my selling feature when I go looking for work. Most of the time, I just find people looking for someone to cut/thread a barrel down or make up some adapter to mount something to something (last one was +11x1.0mm to -14x1.0 mm to mount a tracer to a pistol)

5. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Here's the harsh truth, if you've worked on just 4 guns I wouldn't consider you a "tech". You're a novice, and I certainly wouldn't be comfortable letting a novice work on my expensive airsoft gun.

I suggest you get a bit more experience and then build one or two "signature" guns to showcase your work at the local fields.

You seem to have the right attitude, you just need more experience.

aotsukisho likes this.
  6. Calidoo

Calidoo New Member

Elko
    I appreciate all the help guys. I understand the whole local thing, but there is also this tech in my area know as Ajax from Ajax customs and he is like considered "the tech" if you know what I mean. And my only fields that are in utah are own by a company that he co-owns. Everyone wouldn't really consider me cuz Ajax is everyones go to.
    I can see where you are coming from. I tried to have that mindset going in but as i mentioned earlier...well....Ajax lol. I know its harder then it seems going in but at the same time if Your mechanically inclined and and go in knowing you going to face problems I think its easier.

Ajax is incharge of the local shop lol

Ok so maybe to *slowly* become a alternative to Ajax I should do something unique that he can't provide? I have a 3d printer.

I honestly appreciate this, I know I'm new and I see where you are coming from. But I'm trying to save up over the summer to do a DSG, maybe that will give me some attention? I dont think ive ever heard of Ajax building a DSG but who knows. And they charge like 30-40 per hour which i find pretty agressive lol. Maybe I can do better rates. But then again like you said I just nees more time, builds, and experience.

Noob Tech and Lefse like this.
  7. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Don't let someone who is in the industry ahead of you discourage you.

Just do better work for less right now to improve your reputation. Quite honestly...90% of the techs out there"knows very little about Airsoft". By using us as a reference for information, you could become a better "Airsmith".

Techs...are who changes your oil at the Rapid Oil Change...

So...start low. Offer a flat rate for the first time customer, do good work...then raise your prices for "specialty" work.

Hmmm...does Ajax know anything about Flat Hop or the simple alternative in Maple Leaf packings? 90% of them don't...there is your in right there. Charge 30 for a Maple Leaf Install which includes packing and nub. let people see the range improvement and then they can come to you for other work.

Another opportunity is good LIPO packs...offer good packs at a good price and you can build more of your base too.

"Knowledge is power..." Get more than him in ways that can pull the client base towards you.

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 12:17 PM
  8. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Hah...funny.

Is this video them?

If it is...they are so..."who makes these pistols,...KWC...KWC makes these pistols here...". Wrong!

That is a VFC M&P NOT a KWC...and that suppressor is my creation...and I intentionally made it 25mm so you can use stock sights.

That suppressor and adapter...excess stock that I got from Cybergun/Palco when I was there as the... IMG_20200522_112143.jpg ...Global Sourcing Manager.

There is NO CO2 version like the comments mention. Plus they filled it wrong...you can get over 30 shots per mag if you fill it "correctly".

See...what I mean...a large pool of inexperienced people still in this industry...

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 12:38 PM
    gunnerk19, MADR77 and aotsukisho like this.
  9. cetane

cetane Well-Known Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    very true, in every industry, profession, trade...

I use that to my advantage everyday at work. I may not be the smartest guy alive, but at work I’m like a rocket scientist compared to the masses...

Noob Tech and MADR77 like this.
  10. Calidoo

Calidoo New Member

Elko
    Wow thanks man I this he does rhops but I don't know him much for tech work but. Yeah its them I kinda thought that they were full of Crap on alot of things, they are also VERY forceful on sales and if you dont buy they kinda treat you like crap

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 12:37 PM
    Noob Tech likes this.
  11. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Get into your area with Maple Leaf packing and nub sets with a good middle weight medium polish bb. Convert the masses on the range improvements through simplicity.

Noob Tech likes this.
  12. Calidoo

Calidoo New Member

Elko
    will do, thanks again for the advice! I'm so happy that these forums are still around. Bums me that ASM is gone though.

13. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    And where are you going to get these ML packings?

14. Calidoo

Calidoo New Member

Elko
    Oh gosh is this a trick question?

15. Calidoo

Calidoo New Member

Elko
    I mean I haven't ever seem them on clandestine or brill. Maybe Just evike?

16. danerd

danerd Well-Known Member

Ozark
    Getting customers is hard when you are so new to things. As others have said, you need a lot more experience before you can reasonably call yourself a "tech". The majority of "techs" out there dont have a solid working knowledge of *why* things work the way they do.

I agree with the others, find something (or things) that set you apart from your competition. For example, in my town there is a shop that is a 7min drive from my home. Thier "tech" mainly does repair and very mild "upgrade" work. Seeing thier work first-hand, Im not impressed.

To set myself apart, I offer the same services they do and:

Hop up and barrel group tuning
    High and super high-performance builds
    Ground-up builds.
    Custom 3034 mosfets

Im the only one who:
    - offers flat, R and IR hops, and barrel lapping services.
    - DSG and DMR builds
    -will work on a V7 gearbox ( shop tech said he will never touch another as long as he lives)
    - will work on WE and WA GBBR platforms

I dont advertise my work nearly as much as I should. I used to and got overwhelmed by the number of people. I prefer to let my builds speak for themselves on the field. Ive had a few new customers come to me by word of mouth after I tuned a rifle for someone and they saw how it performed. If anyone is curious and wants things done, all they have to do is inquire, and we go from there.

17. Calidoo

Calidoo New Member

Elko
    Ok so i just need to do more builds and slowly build up Reputation and knowledge? Along with offering something that no one else can?

18. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    And there is your next issue, procurement. You can't buy retail and expect to develop your service if everyone else can doing the same thing.

Do you honestly think Brill or Clandestine buys from Evike for their items? They go higher up the supply chain and you need to do the same thing.

19. Calidoo

Calidoo New Member

Elko
    so source from companies themselves? How to i go about doing that and how do I contact them? Wouldn't I have to like buy in bulk or something to get a better price?

20. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Are you starting to see the holes in your business model?

If you have the volume, yes buy from the factory. If your volume is not at a sufficient volume...buy from distribution. If your volume is less than that...buy from a broker.

Currently...Maple Leaf does not have US distribution...so that really only leaves you with one option, a broker.