Ghillie Helmet Project

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by Urbanprodigy, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

I am using an old bicycle helmet and a small net to create a ghillie helmet. I already have a "prototype" which I posted picture of in the homemade gear thread. But that doesn't really relate to this because I'm scratching that idea. I have the netting on the helmet so it is sturdy to the helmet. It has no chance of coming off. It is also hanging about a half inch off the back and sides to let some strings hang down a little bit.

Now for the project I have the jute to tie to the netting but I need ideas for what colors to use. I play in NJ (maybe that will help some people?) but the field has thick forests and lots of bushes that go up to my head. It is mostly lighter greens but lots of darker greens in the shadows. In very few places there are light browns and tans but I won't be in those places much. The only other color is dark brown but that is usually only in certain seasons.

So I was wondering of I should use all those colors and if I should layer them so the darker ones are on the inside and lighter on the outside to represent shadows.

I also want to know how thick I should tie it on. Like should I make it so all the netting is covered with jute? But how far should each strand be and should they be random lengths, even lengths, or even in different places? Last thing is how wide and tall. I know I need Hide my neck and shoulders but should I make it as wide as my shoulders or just enough to hide it.

I know I had lots of questions but I really don't want to mess this up. So thank you to anybody who can give some input

2. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

Any suggestions at all? Even just a few answers would really help. Thanks

3. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    The point of a ghillie is to disguise the silhouette. Therefore, you will want the ghillie helmet to come down a little past your shoulders. Use lots of grabs with a little bit of those other colors mixed in . When you're at the field, add some vegetation into it. Cut them all different lengths. Nature isn't all the same length:). Hope I helped a little bit.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  4. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

. I should have said this. But also the helmet is also a test to see if I should make one for the rest of my body. I will be using all the same tips I get on the helmet for the rest of my body if this goes well. (Going well=not taking a ridiculously long amount of time)

Edit: to clarify; use all the colors, different lengths, hang down off helmet(how far?), and add vegetation. I was already going to add vegetation but just want to make sure I should just kind of roll around in leaves or something and maybe tie in dome longer branches or twigs

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  5. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    My post failed earlier. I edited in the rest. Lol.

6. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

Got it I edited back lol

7. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    However far you want. Basically, if you build the rest of a ghillie, you will want it to look like there isn't a gap between the helmet and suit. Here's what you should do after dying it. ADD A FIRE RETARDANT TO IT. Jute is EXTREMELY flammable.:) You are educated now. Anyways, roll around in the dirt and get it dusty and get rid of any shininess. Just drop a bunch of crap on it every game (Sticks, leaves, grasses, etc.)

8. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

Yeah I was thinking about the gap when I mentioned height and with. I guess I can always experiment with that once it is done. I'll just add whatever I need

9. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Yupp. Good luck on the ghillie. PM me if you have any more questions.

10. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

Alright I will. Thank you for the help it should really improve my work

11. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    It's no problem. Knowledge is power. Remember that. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

12. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

Actually since I'm here are there any good places to get dye. I have been to some places that have ok selections but only like 3 colors I would need.

13. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    That I am unsure of. Lol. Best bet would be google it. Sorry I can't help on that one.:(

14. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

No problem you already helped a lot

15. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    Why not make a hat? Why a helmet?

16. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

True lol. I have extra netting and a full rimmed hat( I don't know if that's what it's called, It goes all the way around) that I could use. I'll look at both and see which would be easier. Thanks

17. UrGirlfriendz

UrGirlfriendz New Member

Bridgewater
    Is it a boonie hat? Like something you would expect a SEAL to wear in a jungle? :steryotupe:

18. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

I really don't know. It is that aqua blue hat I wore for a few days. But everybody said it looked stupid :(

19. UrGirlfriendz

UrGirlfriendz New Member

Bridgewater
    Does it look similar to this. vv

Attached Files:

20. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

Yes but probably a lot more flimsy and thin