Ghillie suit question

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by foxecho1, Sep 7, 2015.

1. foxecho1

foxecho1 New Member

london
    Hi all,
    I'm interested in Airsoft sniping I currently use an AEG and I know sniping is a totally different play style but one I feel I have the patients for. During airsoft because of wearing a plate carrier I worry about not feeling BBs when they hit me because not taking hits can be frustrating and a quick way to ruin someone's day. As I want to get into sniping I was thinking about getting a ghillie suit or further more building one. My question and worry is, does wearing a ghillie suit effect the ability to feel a BB hitting you??

2. Tyrnek

Tyrnek Member

Yes, it does. A lot. The jute/burlap/veg is usually fairly dense and deep, meaning that it can trap BBs before it even gets to your clothing.

And as for the bought vs homemade ghillie, that really isn't a question. Homemade hands down.

3. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    As aforementioned, the extra layers, eventhough they're strips of cloth, will act as yet another plush barrier further make you not feel hits. But honestly, most of the time when I'm hit in all my gear, it hear it and often I can tell you exactly where the BB hit eventhough I didn't or barely felt a thing.

Also, instead of a full on ghillie suit, consider a ghillie cape or head and shoulder piece. Realistically you're going to be kneeling or lying down so you only need your head and shoulders covered. Keeping your chest open also gives you FAR easier access to mags and gear on your rig.

4. foxecho1

foxecho1 New Member

london
    Thanks for the replies, I was thinking of a head and back ghillie as prone would be a main position and I Wouldn't want to get snagged. I will defiantly give it a go during autumn.

5. Tyrnek

Tyrnek Member

Yeah, look into DIY Viper Hoods and such (lots of good info on airsoftsniperforum). Because I play in a very hot region, I usually only go with a ghillie helmet cover and keep low, but it might be different for you. Match your gear to your expected conditions.

6. foxecho1

foxecho1 New Member

london
    English weather is temperamental but in autumn mainly rain. I play in woodland but there is a small village game area which has lots of long dead grass, I will use the ghillie in the woodland part though.

7. foxecho1

foxecho1 New Member

london
    Tech'ing and tinkering I have no problem with and I know the costs keep going up with any long range build. Another problem is my local site is woodland, dead grass cqb and has bright green game zones so my ghillie will not adapt to all and in a days skirmish you move from each game zones a lot. With all the hassle is it worth using a ghillie??

8. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    Hassle? I couldn't tell you without seeing pictures of the field. But keep in mind, if you do decide to go the route of making a ghillie, you're likely going to want to do it based on the majority of the terrain where you're likely to use the most. It also depends on how the dead and live grass blend, if they do blend at all, rough grass height, number of bushes and low shrubs. There are quite a few things to take into account, but this is generally why they say you cannot make an all-around or universal ghillie and expect it to be great.

As I said earlier, my preference is for ghillie capes and I have a dark green and brown cape myself. It's great when I'm peeking over and around bushes, but ultimately it's more for eyeing targets from a distance, rather than sneaking within inches of that target. It's not great at matching, but it's good enough to use at a distance.

-mobile device-

9. Grudge

Grudge New Member

Winnipeg
    And don't worry about not feeling it, you will be able to tell. If not then the person shooting you will keep shooting you.

Had a guy in a ghillie crawling through the bush in one game. Double tapped him in the body. He stopped, I went on with defending my position. He starts crawling again. Double tap him again. He stops. Shortly he starts crawling again. I change mags and go full auto on him, in the body, he stops jumps up and calls hit. Gives me a dirty look and leaves. End of story.