GHK MK18 MOD1

Discussion in 'Gas Powered Guns' started by Tackleberry6, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Tackleberry6

Tackleberry6 Active Member

Old bridge
    Hey everyone im looking into purchasing the GHK MK18 and was wondering if anyone here has first hand experience with it. Ive watched a lot of videos on it and it seems to get mixed reviews seems like there are some problems with it which i dont get because ive heard nothing but great things about GHK guns.

2. OPairoft

OPairoft Active Member

Bend
    Join the HRC (heavy recoil club) discord for good information on almost any gbbr platform.

Main problem with ghk is their qc lately, the sig and m4’s being the hardest hit.

3. Tackleberry6

Old bridge
    Thanks ill check out that discord. So would you recommend me stay away from this purchase? Its on sale right now that's why im contemplating it.

4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    GHK has a history of chipping parts. This is due to soft alloys banging against hard alloys...or polymer parts slamming against metal bits.

This is indicative of loose tolerance GBBR's in general.

TM MWS are a better option...if you want durability and you run it in "spec".

I wouldn't get the GHK due to their poor spare part supply chain.

JHat, wetpee and Tackleberry6 like this.
  5. OPairoft

OPairoft Active Member

Bend
    Yes and no, as long as you understand and accept that there has been problems and you might get unlucky.

I would say before making up your mind, definitely check out the discord to get more information before you either buy it or something else

wetpee and Tackleberry6 like this.
  6. adas1223

adas1223 Well-Known Member

stratford
    Fwiw, Gbb m4s all come with parts which break. "Upgrade" one part, it creates a cascade effect of parts breaking.

Wa/we/ghk/g&p/bomber/viper/ino

As gug said, the tm mws if run at spec (duster) will LAST ootb.

On propane green gas, it will start to fail.

You have to research which parts fail and how long and if your willing to keep fixing.

After a few years you start to appreciate a stock Tokyo Maui running of duster gas

JHat likes this.
  7. Tackleberry6

Old bridge
    Well i received my GHK MK18 today and so far so good. The only thing needed is a heavier buffer and buffer spring. 20201216_152615.jpg 20201216_152558.jpg

8. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Curious, what is the determination that you "need" a heavier buffer and spring?

In stock form that GBBR will cycle in the cold with that set-up. Increase buffer spring and weight...it may not work so well.

9. Hesterminator

Hesterminator Member

Johns Creek
    Yeah heavier than stock might not be a great idea this time of year.
    RA tech makes a heavier one, but if it was me I’d go for the lighter aluminum one, since it’s winter, and it would cycle faster than stock.

10. Tackleberry6

Old bridge
    Well its not a "need" more of a preference because the stock buffer and spring barely has any felt recoil, and one purpose of a GBBR is felt recoil. Secondly i dont play on cold climates so that has no bearing for me. Also with the BCG being steel there is a known issue for the GHK stock aluminum buffer mushrooming in the buffer tube.

11. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

Unless you get a steel buffer weight, the AR-15 aluminum buffers will likely mushroom as well. This is due to the GHK bolt carrier being cut at an angle in the rear for some reason.

I run the SI Viper PDW stock on my M4v1, it comes with a tiny steel buffer weight due to the reduced length. Paired with the shorter WE 888c (HK416C) buffer spring, the kick and noise are nice.

Tackleberry6 likes this.
  12. OPairoft

OPairoft Active Member

Bend
    GHK “Master race” of deformed buffers and angled bolt carrier’s.

Hesterminator likes this.
  13. Tackleberry6

Old bridge
    I checked my bolt carrier and its not angled.

14. OPairoft

OPairoft Active Member

Bend
    Yeah the newer ones seem to have fixed that, though the buffer still likes to die.

15. Tackleberry6

Old bridge
    Yeah i have a 4oz real steel buffer on the way just to be safe.