Featured GHK Recoil Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Gas Powered Guns' started by Pharaoh, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Pharaoh

Pharaoh Active Member

It's been too long but I think I'm finally going to get back into playing. I check in here from time to time but havn't been involved. Due to all this covid crap, buying a house, winter ice storm taking out a bunch of my trees, blah, blah, blah, excuse, excuse, excuse... I haven't had much time for airsoft. Hopefully I'm back at it this summer.

I ordered the enhanced spring and heavier buffer from Samoon for my GHK M4. I wanted more recoil, and I got it.....It's friggen awesome. I'm sure there is a cost to this though, other than gas efficiency. As expected it did hurt gas efficiency, but I can still get two mags off without a refill unless I dump an entire mag. To be honest....if the gas in any mag lasts long enough to run through all it's BB's without refill and does it consistently, I'm happy with that.
    My question is how much damage, if any am I doing running this? Anybody have experience with this kit? Are my internals gonna start to crap out super fast? The bolt catch is noticeably harder to depress when releasing the bolt because of the additional spring pressure. I actually emailed Samoon about this and they said (possibly due to a translation error) that it shouldn't be like that, possibly I installed it wrong...I'm thinking I didn't....lol. I email them again and they never responded to that one, I'm actually surprised because usually they are super responsive to all inquiries.
    Anyway, I'm just worried about possible excess wear and tear, or killing the thing prematurely..:eek:

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Magazine Gas capacity is a minor factor over general GBB durability.

That is the advantage of gas, the ability to top it off during a reload, unlike CO2.

Yes, heavier parts means more stress, which leads to more wear. Take a picture of the lugs on the loading nozzle now. Then over time and use...compare the image of the lugs on the nozzle and see if there is any wear.

3. Pharaoh

Pharaoh Active Member

That's a good idea. Will take a picture and keep an eye on it. In the mean time maybe order some of the hi-wear parts from Samoon to be prepared.
    I also get a 3 or so round burst every now and then while in semi auto, this just started happening after I installed the recoil kit. Perhaps the added recoil is causing some unwanted strikes.

4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    The added recoil "vibration" is overcoming the Semi-Auto sear position. The shaking is literally causing it to slip out of the retention.

You have now taken the GBB out of factory spec and you have opened a Pandora's box...be prepared to potentially spend a lot more on parts and tinker time to get everything to work within parameters again.

aotsukisho and richman992 like this.
  5. Pharaoh

Pharaoh Active Member

Yea, I figured it was something like that. There frequently seems to be a price to pay so to speak or a domino effect when changing things from factory. I haven't even fielded it since I put the new spring and buffer in. The money in additional parts doesn't bother me, the tinkering....well to a certain extent doesn't bother me though it can get frustrating at times. I've built some really nice functioning AEGs but I'm very new to the GBBR world. I'll have to do some digging to find out more about a possible remedy. The issue doesn't happen often, but it does happen....worse case.....I just put the stock spring and buffer back in......I do love the added recoil though.

6. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Put in a stiffer sear spring in the trigger group. Try one from a real AR LPK...

Pharaoh likes this.
  7. Tackleberry6

Tackleberry6 Active Member

Old bridge
    I have a GHK MK18 it my first GHK and my last, im very disappointed with it. Yesterday the feed lips on one of my magazines apparently were cracked which caused my plastic hop up unit to explode. So now i had to spend $135 to get the Maple Leaf metal hop up unit and extra feed lips. GHK has no quality control anymore and seems like garbage. So my advice to you is leave it as is because of you increase the recoil you are going to be replacing a lot of parts.

8. Pharaoh

Pharaoh Active Member

A new stock hop up from Samoon is $6.00 and feed lips are $4.00. At that price you can order an extra hop up and spare feed lips. Shipping speed is about the same as some of the slower shipping stateside suppliers, shipping cost will be a bit more but still cheaper than what you'll pay for the Maple Leaf.
    I had the same thing happen to me. I was cramming the BB's into the mags with a regular speed loader with an adapter glued on. I cracked 9 mags worth of feed lips before I knew it. I replaced my hop up with the maple leaf and didn't fix my feed lips because I didn't know that was cause of the issue as the cracks were so small. I ruined the metal Maple Leaf hop up as well by denting in the flange.
    The feed lips are known to be fragile, I'm not sure it's a QC issue. Though I have heard GHK does have some QC issues sometimes. File the new feed lips down just a bit with a 7/32" chainsaw file; so it passes easily through the bottom of the lips but doesn't lift completely out of the trough. This (in theory) relieves some of the stress loading BB;s has on the lips. So far, it's solved my feed lip issues.

aotsukisho and Tackleberry6 like this.
  9. Tackleberry6

Old bridge
    I get what you're saying however i think for the price GHK charges we shouldn't be having these issues. I also have a VFC Hk416a5 GBB Asia edition and that thing runs circles around my GHK, haven't had one issue with the VFC. At this point i might fix the GHK and just get rid of it.

Pharaoh likes this.
  10. Pharaoh

Pharaoh Active Member

How much you want for it broken? :)

aotsukisho likes this.
  11. Tackleberry6

Old bridge
    I already ordered the parts yesterday from Samoon so ill sell it when its all fixed.

Pharaoh likes this.
  12. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

Harder 'recoil' means heavier reciprocating mass and/or lower spring coefficient, H2 buffer and softer recoil spring work great in semiauto but full auto performance suffers.

A visitor came to our field with his VFC HK416, and in the high elevation/humidity/temperature he ran into problems with it cycling reliably and even had a failure where the BCG got stuck behind the hammer and he needed to pop pins and pull it out by hand. He said he never had any problems using it at home on the mainland.

A friend's VFC SCAR-H completely stopped working in high elevation in light rain, again failure to blow back and cycle properly. Their gas systems might work fine under ideal conditions, but from what I've seen are far from reliable.

My GHK G5s and M4s both have no gas system problems in any weather conditions. I rarely clean them and in 2019 was putting between 1500-2000 rounds per month through them. The feed lips are a known issue with the GHK design that have persisted through their two magazine redesigns, and supposedly are fixed with a chainsaw file.

No platform is perfect, know the pros and cons and make an educated decision. I have a problematic Zet M4 so not even Tokyo Marui is immune.

Pharaoh and Peeque like this.