Glasses wearer need help with full-seal Eyepro

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by Shadowex3, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 New Member

So I wear perscription glasses, and unfortunately the downside of those long lashes that drive the ladies wild is that my evades are relatively high profile. Thankfully at least during the day my sunglasses (nanowires) are relatively form-fitting.

Any other glasses wearers here have experience with ESS' goggles over glasses, or even the clip-in inserts? I'm definitely an iron sights and scopes kinda guy so being able to use those is important, and living in central florida 80% humidity and pouring sweat is basically a given for about 8-9 months out of the year.

Also having a look around ebay my jaw just about hit the floor. The oakleys made sense around $50 or so on ebay but there's about a million of everything ESS has for as little as $12, the only thing I couldn't find for that cheap was the turbofan. Are there a ton of counterfeit ESS goggles out there or are they just that prolific that like Altamas the real thing floods the used market?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  2. TheCaptainAlmighty

TheCaptainAlmighty New Member

Gallifrey
    ESS's are quite cheap on eBay because they are issued to military so much. That's why its so cheap. Just make sure to get the real ones, and make sure they have the ESS symbol between where the eyes go on the front.

3. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 New Member

Thanks for the heads up on the ESS logo, the pair I was about to order didn't have that on the lens. I think I'll pay a little more and get some still-packaged milsurp.

4. TheCaptainAlmighty

TheCaptainAlmighty New Member

Gallifrey
  5. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 New Member

Depends on the model, on the Land Ops the logo is on the lens. I saw the Profile NVGs but they're so low set I doubt I'd be able to get my glasses on under them at all, vs the Land Ops which are actually certified for exactly that.

6. SeanG

SeanG New Member

Bakersfield
    I wear glasses and mine fit fine inside my Profile NVGs (excuse the picture, just had two lower right molars pulled yesterday)
    [​IMG]
    Even though I currently have a larger pair of glasses (which will be changing soon) these sit inside on top of the bridge of my nose inside the goggles.

However, even though this setup works for me right now. I will be getting the P-2B Rx inserts which will end up looking like this.

[​IMG]

If you buy them off of ESS website the inserts run $30 and typically you can get the prescription filled on them for about $30-40.

With the Rx Inserts there is absolutely zero movement with the inserts, however, with my current set up I've had to sometimes adjust them cause they move with running.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  7. TheAirsoftTech

TheAirsoftTech New Member

I ordered some Arena Flak Jak full seal goggles from Evike. I was told the fit perfectly over glasses, as I wear glasses. I will be receiving them Tuesday, so I'll report back here on if or if not they work.

8. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 New Member

Well, my Land Ops will get here wednesday/thursdayish in time for saturday's event so we'll all compare then. I only paid $20 including shipping for a new and sealed set so if the profiles are a little better I'm not going to cry.

9. SeanG

SeanG New Member

Bakersfield
    The problem with any set of goggles is that none of them "fit perfectly" over glasses. Mainly cause the legs/arms of the glasses have to rest on your ears, which in turn leaves openings in the backs of the goggles and your glasses will always move. Also depending on the size of the goggles, the shape of your head, and the size of your glasses each person will have a different fit with each pair of goggles.

10. TheAirsoftTech

Yea, that's what I thought, but the league here WV said those work and they'll allow them over glasses.

11. mockingshot

mockingshot New Member

Just saw savephaces at Bass Pro Shops.

12. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 New Member

That's what an X-acto, millimeter ruler, and steady hand are for. Take out *just* enough that when both are seated properly your glasses have little slits to fit through. The goal imho is not to find goggles that magically don't interfere with your glasses, not that it shouldn't be plenty easy to make them, but to find something that doesn't utterly crush the frames and bend them back too much to be wearable at all.

Alternatively there's always switching to Pince-nez but I don't think rocking the Gary Oldman thing is going to work as well on the field, and as far as I know nobody makes tactical monocles.

13. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    http://www.botachtactical.com/bolatgog.html

Specifically designed to fit over glasses, and even have a small gap in the foam gasket for your glasses' temples to pass through. Bolle makes great goggles. Get these and love 'em.

14. chris2503

chris2503 New Member

long island
    you should just try to get one day contacts

15. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 New Member

I've got them, my eyes seem to be a bit eh about them though. :(

16. mockingshot

mockingshot New Member

It takes at least a couple month for your eyes.

17. TheAirsoftTech

Alright, so my new Arena flak Jak goggles came in tester day, here's my update about them:
    They tan part is made of a hard flexible rubber, strong but weak enough to were you can bend them to inter-change lenses. It came with two lens, one clear and one black. They don't fog up at all for me I wore my shemagh around it and was breathing heavy for 10 minutes trying to make them fog, they had no signs of fogging.
    They also fit over my glasses perfectly, but my glass's "legs" are very thin compared to some glasses, thicker glasses may have trouble with it.

Over all, they were 28$ on ASGI, great deal IMO for what you get.

18. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 New Member

I wound up getting the ESS Land Ops from a military surplus supplier on ebay for $20 shipped. They aren't lying, you CAN fit even pretty high-profile glasses like mine under them just fine, my glasses sit a bit high but if you spread out the nosepads so they sit on the frame instead they'll probably be fine. My sunglasses probably won't even need that since the lenses are huge ("Agent Smiths"). The trick to the Land Ops is that the part where your glasses' legs go through is actually cut to be a bit flexible.

Theoretically it's not full-seal anymore but the strap covers that spot and my head's kinda narrow to begin with so YMMV. If anyone in the area has the profiles with Rx insert I might try those, see how they are. If they don't cram my lashes back into my eyeball I'll seriously consider switching but these are perfectly serviceable.

Oh and the Land Ops, at least the mil-surp ones, don't say ESS anywhere on them. They DO come with a sticker though, along with the molle carrying pouch, glare/scratch cover, and both the clear and smoke grey lense.

19. JKL

JKL New Member

What lower face mask will u be using ?

20. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 New Member

For now I'll be doing a couple layers of US flag bandana shemagh style until I can find a mesh mask that will let me use sights, but that's getting off topic.

Bright side is ESS' (profile or striker series) are apparently really facemask friendly.