GnG Combat Machine mods+ various models

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by SniperDude171, Aug 29, 2016.

1. SniperDude171

SniperDude171 Member

Cleveland
    Ok I solved my dilema on which gun to get. Me and my friend are each going to buy GnG Combat Machines. Were going to modify them to be field ready. So I would like help with the following:

FIRST,which combat machine to buy for field use?
    So far I like this one http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=7285

SECONDLY, what further mods do they require to do well for long range field use. I would like to spend about $50 most on internal upgrades. I was thinking spring, barrel, piston, hop up bucking etc. Which should I do first?

Goal
    400+fps (no limit)
    Field ready
    Accurate at long range (we are going to use them like DMR's)
    ROF on full auto dont matter as long as it decent

2. ma_airsoft

ma_airsoft Well-Known Member Supporting Member

First, don't buy a combat machine unless it's for the externals. The internals are sub sub par.

Second, you don't need to spend a lot to be decent. Flat hop (2 dollars), Teflon tape to wrap around the cylinder head and get better airseal (2 dollars), an o ringed air nozzle (5 dollars). If you buy the gg I would also recommend buying a brass inner barrel as their aluminum ones aren't too great.

3. Sitting_Duck

Sitting_Duck Well-Known Member

low budget raider - possibly short one than long
    (can always add longer barrel/suppresor if you wish)
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=7900
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=7966

bit more money

FireHawk for CQB

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=16836

CM18 - nice all rounder
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=15829
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=15830

be careful of ETU models - FFR A2, SRs/l/xl Predator's etc...
    nice looking but ETU's can be picky and not capable of handling more powerful setups imho

yup o-ring air nozzle & ptfe cylinder head + piston o-ring req
    1 - 1.5 years later watch bronzey bushings may need replacing

std 18k motor is crap - real crap, shs torque would be a wise consideration at some point
    blue ferrite "powerful motor" is better and will do for a while, not outstanding but a lot better than the std 18k one

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  4. SniperDude171

SniperDude171 Member

Cleveland
    Thanks but all those seem to be lower 300fps and close quarters oriented.

About the stock motor, I dont mind replacing it at all but how much money is a good motor that can handle a stiffer spring? All the reviews on airsoft gi and utube say the gun is fabulous. Im curios why everyone here hates it

5. SniperDude171

SniperDude171 Member

Cleveland
    I should mention I have a $150 budget for the gun and im not playing competitively. Me and my friend are buying the same gun to go out and play 1v1 over the winter. Still want them to be decent and looking for $50 of mods whatever they may be. Just gotta know which ones

The cheap tape mods to the piston are cool, thanks for letting me know about that

We play longer range semi auto only

6. Zaryk

Zaryk Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Southern
    You could expect to pay around 30 bucks for a zci high torque motor. It can pull heavy springs and is a solid motor. I think the SHS motors are a couple bucks more and offer the same performance.

The combat machine is the low end of the G&G line of guns, and does not have as much attention to detail put into it and they use the cheapest parts they have in them to keep the production cost low, but they charge more for them than other brands that offer the same if not better quality guns. They are not total junk, but don't expect it to perform really well without new parts and mods. I rebuilt one for my son (total overhaul, only stock parts are the body and gearbox shell) and it now runs good and is reliable.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  7. Topper

Topper Resident Donkey Supporting Member

New Orleans
    The reviews on the websites are either fake or written by people who just got it and are excited about their new toy, or don't want to admit they wasted their money. Here, people are less biased and more focused on hleping people.

As for the motor, either an SHS or ZCI high torque and some lower ratio gears will be great. Motor is $30, Gears are $20.

8. SniperDude171

SniperDude171 Member

Cleveland
    Yeah I realize that, if its better than my crossman pulse r76 wallmart gun (which i actually think is really good) ill be happy with it.

I know its lower end for GnG, thats the point of a budget gun. But over time ill swap most of the internals and it should be really nice. Right off the bat it seems like im gonna get a new barrel (6.03mm brass or steel), a spring, motor, and hopup bucking. Sound like good upgrades?

9. Zaryk

Southern
    If you like the Crossman, the G&G will seem much better to you. But there are still better options for the same price, like JG for example.

10. SniperDude171

SniperDude171 Member

Cleveland
    Which JG?

I hear the GnG is much higher quality? The internet has too many opinions......

11. Topper

New Orleans
    JG m4 enhanced. Built like a tank. Won't break and it will perform well for a long time.

12. Zaryk

Southern
    Any JG really. I would just try to stay away from the 2 piece hop up models because it's too hard to find a quality replacement.

The combat machine is fairly low on the quality scale with their internals. G&G's Top Tech line is nice though. Much nicer quality and much more reliable.

I am speaking out of experience, not going off of what others have said. I tend to like to see first hand before I will talk about a gun, instead of parroting assumptions and crap I hear on the internet.

A lot of reviews on the internet are not very trustworthy. There is no way to tell if the gun they are reviewing is the only gun they have or have ever used, so you have no clue if they even know what quality is. Other reviewers could be paid to say great things (like retailers, they are simply trying to sell as much as possible). You will find honest reviews, but I find they are far and few between.

13. Zaryk

Southern
  14. SniperDude171

SniperDude171 Member

Cleveland
    I appreciate everyones help here. I am going to avoid JG due to some things I found online. Being chinease clones and some people hav issues with part replacement.

So now I want to decide with my friend between the GnG CM m4 raider and the KWA KM4a1. I will still keep the JG in mind though

GnG= $150 with $50 of internal upgrades. I love the externals of the gun. The color, material, and looks

KWA= $200 with NO upgrades. I do not really care if its metal and I dont like the looks of the gun. Plus no rail. Ive heard the gears, motor and piston are amazing though.

KWA seems to have more fps but less accuracy while the GnG is very accurate and has less fps. *based on internet sources*

15. Topper

New Orleans
    *facepalm*

If you are not going to take our advice, why are you still asking us?

JG is a reputable brand. They are TM compatible and you will have no problems finding replacement parts.They are built well and are durable. I have owned one and they are great beginner guns.

16. Zaryk

Southern
    ** Zaryk disapproves this message **

17. SniperDude171

SniperDude171 Member

Cleveland
    Because you guys are the only ones favoring the JG brand im now wondering if the KWA holds up. and most are comparing the CM with all stock internals. that all

Hey, I still really like the JG 614. Im just trying to evaluate my options really well. Every site says something different and I do like all the guns. Im just confused I guess. iIm thinking "ok this forum says the CM isnt so good, but this other forum and reviewers love them"

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  18. SniperDude171

SniperDude171 Member

Cleveland
    I guess I was just super stuck with the looks of the GnG. The JG 614 does appear to be better. I guess Echo1 has a model of this gun aswell. I will check those out aswell

I am taking your guys advice now. its between the JG and Echo1 models. I heard theyre basically the same guns

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  19. Topper

New Orleans
    Do not buy Echo 1. They are a rebranding company. They just charge you more for the same thing.