Goggles vs Glasses vs Facemask

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by HGwarhawk, Nov 11, 2012.

1. HGwarhawk

HGwarhawk New Member

For field use, can't decide leaning towards Facemask

2. champo98

champo98 New Member

I would say goggles and a shemagh or some face protection. Unfortunately glasses arent typically considered full seal eye pro, so I wouldn't suggest them. Face mask is good, if you can stand heat and feel of them. I couldn't take either.

3. wolf00

wolf00 New Member

Why not mesh? And if thats not allowed definatly go with goggle with some type of antifog stuff.

4. xxTHATDUDExx

xxTHATDUDExx New Member

I always go with goggles and a bandana. Its almost impossible to use my M4 iron sights with a mask on

5. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Superior
    Ok,get flack jacks and a mesh lower or an iron face heres some links.http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=30_744&products_id=34499 http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=30_149&products_id=35190.Now that you know about that stuff here's other things not to use.Do NOT use mesh when it gets shot the paint chips off of the mesh and will get into your eye and it can be shot through.Do not where sun glasses always use full seal eye protection this guys brother got his eye shot by not useing full seal hears a link http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f41/im-out-game-64431/.Hope i helped and be safe USE full seal eye protection!

6. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    Many people like to think that they need a full face in field because the FPS limits are higher when in reality the shots are coming from further away so the impact is far less. I run just ESS goggles with the occasional shemagh but most of the time the shemagh sits around my neck.
    Just goggles and if you are worried about your face get a mesh lower. Full Face masks tend to limit your sighting capability and also, depending on the mask, limit your peripherals.

7. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Superior
  8. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    Mesh isn't the best idea, but preferated steel is excellent, if it's allowed. People seem to be a little afraid of it because they are ignorant to how it actually works, and that it's compltetely safe.

9. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    I fully understand how perforated steel works and am still 100% against them. The problem isn't total bb penetration or flexing/crumpling. The problem is that bbs can fracture when they hit a rigid surface and if that surface is porous, bb fragments can pass through. BB fragments passing through a porous surface can end up in the eyes behind the porous surface, causing injury. It doesn't matter how hard the surface is. It could be made out of adamantium, holes is holes.

10. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    This is true, but when you realize that the fragments that *may* come through come through like a light dusting, you realize you are in no more danger than you are with the wind blowing sand around.

But, find me one documented event of where someone's eyes were damaged because a particle landed in their eye with enough force to do damage. We've been using mesh amongst hundreds of players for going on 10 years without a single incident of anything happening.

11. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it can't. And that "dust," which could be quite a bit larger than dust, and more importantly quite a bit sharper, doesn't have to hit the eye hard to do damage. Foreign bodies in the eye can tear things up at 0 FPS.

Honestly, after seeing your reaction to BTR's thread, I'm a little surprised how vehemently you're defending less than ideal eye protection here.

12. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    I view it as two different instances. On one hand, glasses are a clear danger, on the other I don't see this "dust" as being dangerous any more so than sand blown into your eyes, which is sharper than plastic shards, remember, sand is usually very small pieces of glass. Perhaps I am influenced by my area of play. In the summer months, it's not uncommon to be playing in 100% humidity, and in those kinds of conditions, even the most expensive glasses fog, there is nothing you can do to stop the fog. This is why steel is so widely used as eye protection where I play.

And that makes me fall back to the fact that there has never been a reported eye injury because the user was wearing mesh. I view them as being safe to use, unlike glasses, which have no business being on an airsoft field.

13. YoYo-Pete

YoYo-Pete New Member

Ypsilanti
    BBs can shatter and splinters of the plastic can still retain the inertia from being fired from the gun and penetrate the eye. Likewise even with no momentum behind the pieces, however small they are, they can cause damage/cutting/tearing of the eye.

Nobody I know has won the lottery, but some people do.

Edit: Here's an article that demonstrates this fact: http://www.airsofthawaii.org/ballistic/200706/protect.shtml

P.S. My choice is full seal goggles with no lower face mask (except a bandanna or shemagh)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  14. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Don't Google "corneal abrasion" if you're squeamish about your eyes. Do Google it if you want to see the potential damage a foreign body, almost any foreign body of "grain of sand" or larger, can do to your eye.

What you're doing is justifying a less than ideal protection based on your wants. You want a mask that doesn't fog, so you sacrifice some level of protection to do that. That's fine as long as you and your fellow players aren't under the illusion that you're as protected as you could be. I'd generally prefer you didn't offer it up as a viable solution on a large board frequented by a lot of young players because obvious irresponsibility. But you're an adult (I hope, if not get some damn goggles) and free to make your own choices regarding what you're willing to give up for game play. Just don't pretend that there's any difference between wearing mesh and wearing glasses beyond a relatively small difference in probability.

15. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    I understand what you are saying, Knief, and our local rules do require anyone under the age of 18 to wear full seal lenses. I agree with these rules, I think they are a good idea. So I often times support them whenever I get involved in posts such as this one. I feel if people are responsible enough to play airsoft safely, the are intelligent enough to understand the risks involved, including the eye protection they use.

But that's not always the case. I should keep in mind that on this forum, I am more often talking to kids than to adults, excuse me for suggesting anything that could possibly be harmful to eyes.

16. xxTHATDUDExx

xxTHATDUDExx New Member

Everything this guy has said is right. Sorry to say it but if you say otherwise your kinda dumb

17. BlackJack

BlackJack New Member

Gettysburg
    Better safe than sorry guys. Wear full seal goggles.

18. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Superior
    That being said he's absolutely right!

19. tasgal

tasgal New Member

Richmond
    I use goggles and a mesh lower, works very well for me. Get some anti fog and if safety permits increase airflow into the goggles by removing some of the foam that covers the top and bottom vents.

20. naamtune

naamtune New Member

Redlands
    Full-seal goggles with lower face protection of somekind all the way, regardless of the weather condition. Better safe than sorry.