Good Sidearm?

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by LeonidasTheRe, Jun 18, 2015.

1. LeonidasTheRe

LeonidasTheRe New Member

Okay. I've carried the same M1911A1 since I first started Airsoft. I've never used it that much, only when I forgot to reload my primary mags(which was once or twice, and then I reloaded the mags back at spawn). I've looked around and nothing seems to catch my eye. One of my friends carries an off-hand PDW and I was considering that but I'm kinda scrawny but I'm also strong and agile for my size. So I'm asking you, my fellow Ops, for suggestions. I don't necessarily have a budget, I'm just looking for ideas.

Thanks, Leonidas "Shago" The Red

2. 16kuokhc1

16kuokhc1 New Member

Hong Kong
    Well, what's your budget?

For something that's all-round good, then any marui pistol will do.

3. not_an_noob

not_an_noob Member

San Francisco
    If you don't mind low fps and are fine with using duster gas, marui is probably the best option. If you want to use propane, you should be good with a kwa or kjw. Kjw is a little bit more durable out of the box, but KWA is based in America and has excellent customer service so it's a toss up. These are good choices though.

PS: Stay away from the ATP Auto because it is relatively problematic.

4. Boulder119

Boulder119 New Member

I have a KWA P226, and it is a very good sidearm. The older ones were unreliable, but the newer ones are pretty good. As long as you clean it between battles, it is reliable. Besides that, most TM, KWA, and KJW pistols will serve you well. I would highly recommend a p226 style gun. The grip is good for hands of any size.

EDIT 1: I reread the OP, and would like to address the off hand PDW. I sometimes run like that with my mini uzi, and it is with it's drawbacks. It is bulky (compared to a pistol). Also, running the PDW on a slung can get a bit annoying and in the way, if you put it on a belt, it's heavy enough pull your pant's down and finding a MOLLE holster is near impossible. I would say it depend on you're play-style/role. If you are a run and gun, spring around type guy, you may find it gets in the way, or find that you don't need it. If you are more stationary, use a big, bulky gun that is not effective up close (like a sniper rifle or a SAW) or run out of ammo in you're rifle a lot, it would be an okay idea. Just a warning though, with a PDW, you will be outgunned by an AEG user. Either way, it is a ton of fun to use, but it's not for everyone.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  5. LeonidasTheRe

LeonidasTheRe New Member

I normally run a SCAR-L on a single-point sling. And if I got a PDW I would try to go GBB, solely because there's no trigger delay.

6. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

Or you could always do a little bit of AEG teching and have no trigger delay for half the cost...

7. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    A TM would be your best bet. They can use propane and be OK. There's a thread going further into detail somewhere around here.
    If you're trying to cut a few costs OR have to have a metal design out of the box, KJW would be the next choice.
    KWA isn't bad, but the proprietary parts that are often over-priced steer me away. And typically I wouldn't mind, but the performance doesn't justify it for me.

8. Shady

Shady Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lifetime Supporter

TM is fine with propane, and the FPS isn't that much lower than other pistols. My 5-7 hits consistently at 325.

KJW is a fantastic option if you're on a budget. Excellent quality and performance for about the same cost as a WE.

KWA is only technically based in America, in the way that they are the American branch of a parent company that also produced KSC. Their performance and quality is lackluster at best, and certainly does not justify the asking price on their guns.

9. not_an_noob

not_an_noob Member

San Francisco

Maybe I should've gotten a 5-7 then. My g18 slide cracked from using propane after about 400 rounds :(

Also chronos at just 290 fps

10. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

The 5-7 will have similar problems, as well as the hammer not being strong enough to release propane in really warm weather.

11. Shady

Shady Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Pardon? I've put well over 5000 rounds through my 5-7 and it has no signs of slowing down. Every now and then it light strikes when it's very hot, but I say again it's 5 years and 5000+ rounds old.

12. not_an_noob

not_an_noob Member

San Francisco
    I guess you should get a tm 5-7 then

13. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

Strange, mine had that problem and it seems to be a frequent issue on most of the posts I've seen on it. Mine was about 7 years old, 6 or so when I received it...