Green (Red) Gas in winter

Discussion in 'Gas Powered Guns' started by HammA9056, Jan 3, 2016.

1. HammA9056

HammA9056 New Member

A few weeks ago I bought a KWA Glock that runs on green gas. The guys at the shop said red gas works better in the cold weather so I bought that. Today was the first day I actually used it in about 32 degree weather and the gun completely failed. Bbs either didn't fire or fired slow, the gun released A LOT of gas per BB.

Other than this the gun has always performed very well. Never a problem. Is this just the way gas blowback pistols are in the winter? If so does anyone have a recommendation for a top of the line AEG Pistol?

Thanks!

2. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo
    Yep, that's the way they are. Gas expands in heat, and contracts in winter. You'll either have to convert your pistol to HPA or set it aside until winter ends.

Sadly, AEG pistols are pretty crummy without a ton of work. The most solid AEG pistol would probably be the TM MP7.

3. HammA9056

HammA9056 New Member

What is HPA again? I figured the red gas would work since it says it works well in low Temps but I was wrong haha

4. snapshot311

snapshot311 New Member

Woodbury
    Not to troll but EVERYTHING expands in heat and contracts in cold hahaha.

5. derpymonkey

derpymonkey Member

Kalamazoo
    Another option besides HPA would be a C02 mag, had one of those for my KWA G19 and it worked great for those times it was just a little too cold for GG.

6. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

.... Yes, but we're not talking about everything, we're talking about propane. XD

I'd probably skip Co2, it's pretty rough on a gun.

7. thunder8190

thunder8190 Member

Cedar Rapids
    Despite what MajorMonocle said, AEP's are quite bad as they arrive, but with slight modding can be amazing side arms. I own a CYMA P226 or Sig Saur which you can buy brand new on eBay for $60, then you wire it to a Li-Po battery for great ROF and trigger response, mine now runs extremely well, fast full automatic, and I bought a 100 round magazine (it's compatible with TM g18 and CYMA 18 mags). There are many ways to convert it to a Li-Po, what I did was cut the top off of the battery, run a wire coil out the back and attached a deans connector, now its attached to a 3000mAh 11.1 Li-Po attached to my plate carrier and can run all day.

8. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo
    By many people, this would be considered a lot of work, especially if you don't have teching/soldering skills.

9. cascade

cascade Member

Try propene instead.

10. bryanman

bryanman Member

Canada
    Water expands when cooled into a solid. :cool:

Also, @cascade, propane is essentially green gas. The pressure boost is barely noticeable. Pretty much all gas pistols become useless in the cold. Unsure about CO2

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  11. cascade

cascade Member

I didnt say propane, i said propene. Propene is about 20psi higher pressure than propane at a given temperature meaning you can use propene in propane guns down to about freezing.

12. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

Wow, I never knew about this. Is it known as Red or MAPP gas? I've never heard of it. What's the typical name?

13. cascade

cascade Member

Propene is MAPP gas, aka propylene.

Propylene at 32F is about 95psi.

Propane at 65F is about 95psi.

Most gbb are happy at 120psi.

14. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

Awesome, good to know. One problem I see with this, MAPP is known to be corrosive towards stuff like O-rings and such. Is this true?

15. cascade

cascade Member

It is what i would call "technically corrosive". Yes, it eats rubber. No it does not do it fast as all. With regular care and maintenance (clean and lube) the o-rings will survive a couple months of the year with propene use.

16. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

Excellent. I'll give this a try in mild MI weather and see how it does.

17. cascade

cascade Member

Dont expect a miracle, it just works a little better than propane in a little lower temps.

18. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

Not by any means, but I'll give it a try.

19. bryanman

bryanman Member

Canada
    My apologies, assumed it was a typo.

I know of Propene in the chemical sense, as in an alkene opposed to propanes alkane, however, I've never seen it commercially available...? Never heard of MAPP gas :( I would assume it's fairly costly?

20. cascade

cascade Member

Commonly available at Home Depot/Loews...Just another torch gas. Yellow can.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-14-1-oz-Map-Pro-Cylinder-332477/203226566