Gun painting and trademark help.

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by xXTacoMcFacoXx, Nov 12, 2012.

1. xXTacoMcFacoXx

xXTacoMcFacoXx New Member

I would like to paint my m4 two-tone with tan and black and give it a look similar to one of these. -I prefer the one with the tan receiver:

myweapon.jpg

myweapon (1).jpg

I have a couple questions:
    1) I've read that Krylon or Rustoleum are the best types of paint to use. Would these paints give a good finish on both metal parts (receiver) and plastic parts (stock)?

2) When painting a receiver what is usually done with the trademarks that are already present? Would there be an easy way to make a stencil? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

2. iTunesTomato

iTunesTomato New Member

Oakland
    To be honest I would just get it painted professionally if I was you. Unless you know what you're doing, you could end up damaging your gun
    http://www.mutinouscreations.com/
    I'd go with them, personally

3. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    Either that, or look around on the site, there are several painting tutorials and related threads.

4. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Superior
    Why not just get tan accessory's?

5. xXTacoMcFacoXx

I considered that but a new receiver would not be cheap and it would be more practical to paint it assuming store bought paint would give an acceptable finish.

6. Finalencounter

Finalencounter Duke of Penguins Supporting Member

Warrenton
  7. xXTacoMcFacoXx

I have read through it multiple times and it is an awesome tutorial. I would just like to know from someone with some experience at painting guns if krylon gives a durable and clean finish on metals and plastics.

8. Finalencounter

Warrenton
    Derf. Lol. Really?
    You could ask me in there, you know.
    This thread is pretty pointless, but here we go.
    Krylon and Rust-o-leum will give fine finishes. You need to make sure you use the camo series. If you use gloss, your gun will look like a sticky plastic mess. You want to sand the surface you are painting first. After you paint it, use a matte clear coat. You have to remember that it is only spray paint though. Scratch it on a sharp object, it will come off.
    It won't be as good as using an airbrush and high quality paint, but it will do.

9. xXTacoMcFacoXx

Alright thanks for all the information!

10. MutinyBri

MutinyBri New Member

Victorville
    (I am the painter at MutinousCreations) Prepwork is really important. Be sure to sand, *degrease (look in your cleaning supplies for a degreaser, the heavier duty the better), and I recommend priming as well. Sand with 300-400 grit, prime, sand with 400-1000 grit (scratches will show through so be careful), paint tan layer. I never found a decent flat clear in rattle can form but you might.

For trademarks: Email us @MutinousCreations@Gmail.com for some custom decals to finish the look (logo's, trades, etc) but I recommend clear coating over these if you do.

11. Finalencounter

Warrenton
    Whoa! Hey Bri, nice to see you around again. I sent you guys an email... never got one back.

12. iTunesTomato

iTunesTomato New Member

Oakland
    It can take a while to communicate with them, as I assume they are pretty swamped, being a small company with a fast growing reputation, but definitely worth it

13. Finalencounter

Warrenton
    This was at least two months ago.

14. iTunesTomato

iTunesTomato New Member

Oakland
    Oh yeah I know sometimes they don't reply, the first time I had to send a second email to get a hold of them

15. MutinyBri

MutinyBri New Member

Victorville
    Our email got completely out of control over the past two months. It had no organizational system so it became impossible to keep track of who need a response, confirmation, design made, first response, etc... Right now I am re-orginizing the email, but we have over 2000 emails to go through so it's taking a minute. We're really only accepting new orders through the website (instant orders for name tapes or photatches) right now but I should have all emails re-organized and responded to in the next two weeks, so you will get a response by then!