Gun pulling 103 amp current extremely worried

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by PleaseHelpme, Aug 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. PleaseHelpme

PleaseHelpme New Member

Saint Charles
    Over amping up to 103 amps with Specna.

jefftron optical

120 spring

22 tpa zci

13:1 gears

Using either a 1000mah 20-40c or a 2200mah 30-50c I am having insane amps.

I am reading on avg in semi 90-97 with peak amps reaching 103 at times. I am running almost no active break currently because I am having double shooting issues and overspin. Short stroked two teeth but it wasn’t enough so I’m going to go up to a 130 spring. My main issue is that no matter what I do my gun overamps.

At times I get current warnings, it drains a 2200mah brick very quickly and heats up the fuse very hot. I haven’t blown my 40a fuse but it will go soon for sure. I set active break and precock to 0, and I still get insane 90-103 current amps.
    I’ve checked for shorts in wires and their is nothing. What can I do

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Please Cite Motor type and maker.

3. PleaseHelpme

PleaseHelpme New Member

Saint Charles
    Zci 22tpa high torque long type.

4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    You may have a bad one.

Only way to know for sure is to swap out another motor and see if you have a high draw.

5. ma_airsoft

ma_airsoft Well-Known Member Supporting Member

whats amp draw on auto looking like? sounds like somethings not fitting right somewhere

6. PleaseHelpme

PleaseHelpme New Member

Saint Charles
    I own two of them and I’ve tried both motors get same reading on both

7. PleaseHelpme

PleaseHelpme New Member

Saint Charles

Around 40

8. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Not all motors are made the same. Two ZCI from the same batch is not an ideal measure...I would try another motor from another company.

9. PleaseHelpme

PleaseHelpme New Member

Saint Charles
    They’re not from the same batch tho. One is old from evike and ones new from amped. I would doubt they would be same batch but okay I’ll try a 17tpa G&g orange motor and see how it is.

10. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

You could also have a short on the grip end cap.

But yeah there is so many ways to screw up making a motor. Shorts from the armature coils to the armature is a big one.

If there was a short that sucked up 70 amps somewhere, it will burn up wherever it's being caused. So look for burn smell or burned spots.

Zci motor armatures have been really consistently good for me.

There's also the possibility of binding of the gears or bad bevel or motor height, but only you know how everything felt when you put it together.

11. PleaseHelpme

PleaseHelpme New Member

Saint Charles
    I’ve checked shimming so

I’ve checked shimming many times, re adjusted motor. Tried using just a little grease or a lot. Tried leaving the shimming incredibly loose. None have brought any better Results. What do you mean a short in the grip end cap?

12. PleaseHelpme

PleaseHelpme New Member

Saint Charles
    the gun overspins like crazy so I can’t really believe it would be anything to do with gearing being tight, or gears being messed up because they clearly spin extremely well. Maybe I’ll get a whole new set of gears and a motor, then see what it does.

13. Ben3721

Some guns use metal motor grip caps, some short out the motor endbell.

Are you sure your mosfet is accurate? A typical amp meter might show otherwise.

14. PleaseHelpme

PleaseHelpme New Member

Saint Charles
    I’m gonna try another brand motor tonight. If that don’t work I’m bringing it to the hobby shop near my house to get metered. Unless a normal multimeter could work I got no options besides bringing it somewhere. My motor grip cap is metal but has plastic also. Maybe I’ll add some greese to motor cap to stop it if it’s thats what it is.

15. Equilibrandt

Equilibrandt New Member

Sounds like you should probably have your gearbox open with all parts exposed. Have the full electronic loop engaged, motor and all, but have your sector gear removed so it doesn't crank the piston. Measure current draw on trigger pull - is it just as high?

If it IS still a huge amperage draw, you've got a gnarly short circuit somewhere, whether its in your motor or elsewhere (mosfet, trigger group/shuttle? Just guesses.).

If it ISN'T the same amperage you see when your gearbox and gun are fully assembled, it's likely you have a bind somewhere when your gun is closed up. I realize you've done a bunch of shimming, but normally high amperage draw when your gun is assembled is due to gears locking/rubbing or the motor being seated improperly.

ma_airsoft likes this.
  16. ma_airsoft

ma_airsoft Well-Known Member Supporting Member

im leaning more towards a short on wiring or poor alignment somewhere. is everything else in the box stock?

17. PleaseHelpme

PleaseHelpme New Member

Saint Charles

I will try this. I’ll let you know what happens. The gun over spins like crazy and the gears spins insanely smoothly so I have a hard time believing it’s some sort of gear lock up but who knows it could be. Appreciate the advice. Thanks, and I’ll let you know what happens.

18. redmoon3580

redmoon3580 Member

Are you sure the amperage measurements are correct?

19. Ben3721

For about 40 bucks you can get a tester that you can double check. But you'd want to test full auto amp draw. Semi always spikes higher than full auto.
    [​IMG]

20. PleaseHelpme

PleaseHelpme New Member

Saint Charles
    I’m starting to think the amps reported are wrong. Leviathan says the amps will be +/- 10. I have a 40amp fuse and it is yet to blow. fuse gets warm but doesn’t blow when I push it hard to 103. Gun over spins even with a 130 spring so I highly
    Doubt their is a lot of gear resistance causing the amps to be high. How would I measure the amps?