GunsnBones's Teching Thread

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by GunsnBones, Dec 4, 2012.

1. GunsnBones

GunsnBones New Member

Hey guys and gals. I am pretty sure I am going to start upgrading my guns. I have already thought of some projects. I think I will start simple with upgrading my SOCOM Gear M4.
    Here is the parts I am thinking of of installing:
    -Lonex A1
    -SHS 13:1s or Lonex 16:1s
    -Lonex 10 tooth extreme toughness piston
    - MOSFET (I am not sure if I will need this since I will only be using a 7.4)
    -Deans
    -IR-Hop
    -Lonex Hard Bucking
    -Prometheus or Madbull 6.03
    -16 gauge wiring (I am also unsure if I will need this.)
    -m120 spring
    I will also:
    -Correct AOE/ Install Sorbo
    -Stabalize barrel
    -Shim
    -Re-grease
    I am hoping to get 420 FPS with around 25-30 BPS on a 7.4 25c-50c 1800mah lipo.
    Will this be to hard of a build for a beginner?
    All help is appreciated.

2. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    You'll be fine, most of it is just "dropping in" the parts. The IR hop ofcourse can be a little tedious but the rewards will be worth while. You're also good without a mosfet as long as the discharge isn't rediculous. I know 15c is cool on an 11.1v, can't give an exact number for the 7.4v. The Lonex A1 paired with the SHS 13:1 (Be sure to change the bevel if it's a gen II set) will get you around your desired ROF.

3. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    That battery (s1kk's 11.1v) isn't going to give the Lonex motor the amount of power it needs. Generally, motors can take about 30 ish amps (IIRC?). That battery is not putting out enough. The 7.4v will be fine, though.

4. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    About there I guess lol. Still depends on the stress load given as well :)

So at minimum you'll need a 7.4v or 11.1v 20c 1500 mAh or higher, or equivalent. You can change around the "C" rating or "MAh" to each desired.

5. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    I wasn't suggesting the 11.1v 15c would achieve his ROF, was just saying IME they run fine without a mosfet and that I wasn't sure about his 7.4v discharge rating.

Just thought I'd clarify :)

Edit: Just did some quick reading. An 11.1v 1700mah 15c battery will put out just over 25amps continuously. I believe a way to work out amp output is...

1000mah 20c = 20amp & ALSO 2000mah 10c = 20amp
    2000mah 20c = 40amp & ALSO 4000mah 10c = 40amp

So 7.4v 1800mah at say 35c, would put out 63amp? That needs a mosfet I think...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  6. GunsnBones

GunsnBones New Member

Do you guys think I should get the IR-Hop Z-Kit or just a regular kit? Also, what MOSFET do you guys suggest? Do you guys think I could install this as a beginner? Thanks for all the help so far.

7. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime New Member

Satellite Beach
    This is a BIG upgrade set for a first time. We're talking quite a bit of money and an R-Hop.

Either way, before you grease, polish/buff the moving parts of your gun, and get that cylinder flush. Then heat treat your O-Rings. You'll also want to stabilize your hopup unit with an O-ring as long as you're doing the barrel, glue in your bushings, and adjust motor height.

8. GunsnBones

GunsnBones New Member

Would the Z-Kit be a lot easier to install?

9. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    No experience with it.

10. GunsnBones

GunsnBones New Member

Do you think I can install these parts as a begginer at teching?

11. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    I've a Z kit. Difference with them is you got 3 pieces with 3 different sizes. Way it is meant to make it easier is that one of them is bound to be very close to the shape and size of your barrel window, hence needing less sanding down than other sets. Still very tedious ime.

12. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    I'd use cheaper parts...

13. GunsnBones

GunsnBones New Member

How long did it take you to install it? Was it very difficult?

14. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    I used the word "tedious" and that is exactly what it is mate. Hours of shaving, assembling, shooting, disassembling, shaving, assembling and you get the picture. In my case I didn't have the patience and scrapped it. I still have them in my parts box, but atm i'm comfortable with the range i'm getting. Already at around 200feet effective range with a 300mm TBB, so I rarely feel outgunned anyway. Plus I'm a "stealth, get up close and take em out single fire without being seen" kind of player.

Maybe one day I'll get back to it when I get a gun built for longer ranges and want to change my strategy a lil, I.E the HK417 I'll be getting for my bday this month :)) )

15. GunsnBones

GunsnBones New Member

Okay thanks for the help.

16. GunsnBones

GunsnBones New Member

17. dylan484

dylan484 New Member

Tifton
  18. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

Sounds good except for the Madbull TBB. I would get a Prometheus 6.03 instead if you have the money. However, if you don't have the money, the Madbull will still work well.

19. GunsnBones

GunsnBones New Member

I think I will get the Prometheus 6.03. Is there much of a difference between deans and xt60s?

20. dylan484

dylan484 New Member

Tifton
    I'd go with deans, lower resistance I think.