h and k law suit?

Discussion in 'Staging Area' started by bal1, Dec 20, 2012.

1. bal1

bal1 New Member

I'm confused, h and k is suing every airsoft company? I've heard about this but I do not understand at all.

2. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Des Moines
    I love HK, but this makes me want to shoot them with a Remington

3. rblevinski

rblevinski Active Member Supporting Member

Philadelphia
    I'm going to put that in my signature.

4. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Des Moines
    Mine, or the original post?

5. Ace4300

Ace4300 Active Member

Ridgewood
    Pretty sure he meant yours. Lol mind if I do too?

6. bal1

bal1 New Member

7. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    mmhm well as long as m4s and noveske rails are still around I'm more than happy.

8. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Des Moines
    Lol sure, I don't mind.

9. bal1

bal1 New Member

Can h and k really get away with this law suit?

10. rblevinski

Philadelphia
    Your post. Sorry I thought I quoted you.

11. Ace4300

Ace4300 Active Member

Ridgewood
    Yeah, just imagine if Colt filed a lawsuit

12. rblevinski

Philadelphia
    That. Would. Be. Terrible.

13. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Des Moines
    Oh no, that'd be Bushmaster

EDIT: Yay I like being quoted

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  14. bal1

bal1 New Member

No, oh good no no I love m4s to much don't say these things! Lol but in all serousness, why is h and k doing this?

15. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Des Moines
    To make more money by selling their licensing rights to the company

16. levirocks

levirocks #FreeNuggy Lifetime Supporter

arlington
    Colt has already filed a lawsuit back in 2005.
    Dyke said he is pleased, not only for Bushmaster, but for the entire firearms industry. “Colt has for years made all sorts of claims as to rights it asserted belonged only to it,” he said. “And this case clearly shows Colt has been overstating its rights. In this case, the Court determined that the right to use the M4 term and to sell firearms that look like the M4 type, are rights that belong to the industry, not just Colt.”

The Court’s order affirmed a prior recommended decision of a U.S. Magistrate Judge in the case. Among other things, the Magistrate’s decision:

* Held that the M4 is generic term which merely describes a type of firearm, and is not an identifier of Colt as a sole source for such firearms. In doing so, the decision noted that more than a dozen firearm manufacturers other than Colt have used the term M4 for years to refer to military-style carbines with collapsible buttstocks and shortened barrels. Since the M4 term is generic, the court granted judgment for Bushmaster that Colt’s federal trademark registration for the M4 should be cancelled.

* Dismissed Colt’s claim for infringement of M4 trade dress both because the alleged trade dress is primarily non-functional and because Colt could not establish that the buying public associated the look of the M4 only with Colt.

* Dismissed Colt’s claims for infringement of the terms M16, CAR, MATCH TARGET, AR-15 and COMMANDO because it concluded that there was no likelihood of confusion among purchasers as to the source of Bushmaster’s products.

The Court also held Colt could recover no damages on its only remaining claim under Section 43(a) of the Lanham Act.

17. Southpawlegend

Southpawlegend New Member

Salisbury
    Okay so lemme get this straight in a could days there will be no more what type of guns?

18. Ace4300

Ace4300 Active Member

Ridgewood
    All non licensed HK guns. G36's, HK416's, MP5's, the whole lot. Not all of them though, the licensed ones, like KWA's HK lineup, and VFC's 416/417s will be safe, as they are officially licensed.

19. Southpawlegend

Southpawlegend New Member

Salisbury
    The guns that h&k licensed will be unavailable for purchase right? What guns will be discontinued or do we not know?

Man is there a way to get around this??

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012