Featured Has anyone here tried to build airsoft guns out of real steel parts?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by OverdriveRules, May 1, 2021.

1. OverdriveRules

OverdriveRules Member

OK, so a couple of weeks ago, I played my first game of airsoft of this year, and I heard one of my fellow players talking about a Swedish guy going by the handle of "Real Fake Guns" (whom I'm sure some of you have heard of) who buys real steel parts kits and messes around with them to build airsoft guns. That makes me wonder: has anyone here ever tried to build airsoft guns using parts meant for real guns, and if so, what are some of the challenges you faced?

On a semi-related note, I read somewhere that Real Sword's Type 56 airsoft guns are made from actual demilled Type 56 rifles. Is this true or just some dumb airsoft urban legend?

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    There is no reason to take perfectly useable RS parts and make them unusable by turning it into an Airsoft gun.

It's like buy a new car and turning it into an EV.

Cost and purpose is not logical.

However, if it was made from scratch...based on RS parts, yes. The RS, E&L and Arcturus AEG's all have RS components in them. The AKM from E&L cosmetically is 96% RS parts. Only the receiver and grip is not RS spec. Back in 2015 a AK gun maker in MO, bought 200 folding stocks for their AK builds...as well as an Israeli gun maker in FL.

Just so that you know...most top brands of AR external components are not made in the US anymore, not since 2008...

Why pay a CnC shop to make rails for 102 each and sell then for 300.00 when you can have them made for 18.00 each and sell them for the same price...

And on that note...my Deer Pistol has a G&P MOTs rail on it.

3. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Active Member

Seattleish
  4. danerd

danerd Well-Known Member

Ozark
    I have been able to drop a series of AR uppers onto WE lowers without modification, as long as I removed the auto sear from the WE lower. Heck, you can take almost any AR15 external part and drop it on to a WE/WA platform (sans barrels and some recievers) with virtually no mods needed.

My M14 has a few real parts on it as well, as do some of the AEGs I build. Why pay the prices for crap airsoft parts when the real ones (most of the time) are often cheaper and of better quality?

5. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Active Member

Seattleish
    I've just picked up my first WE AR from airsoftmarket, a 416 from a few years ago judging by the Marines trademarks printed on the lower, and it's nice to know I can just slap on a cheap real upper or fixed stock if I want to convert it over to a full length M16 or do up a PDW upper. Certainly be cheaper, and better quality, than paying for RA Tech, even if I can't go for something fancy like the Vltor without modifying the trigger group. Nothing wrong with plain jane.

6. danerd

danerd Well-Known Member

Ozark
    You cannot modify the WE to take AR LPKs. The WE uses a different style trigger group and the pin holes wont line up, not to mention the hammer and sear are completely different.

However WA-style lowers can work with AR LPKs, albeit there may be some modifications needed depending on the make.

7. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Along with early VFC's...that was demonstrated to the horror and CEO of Cybergun that the project he signed onto used a real AR type lower and was demonstrated by changing the hammer spring, and lighting a blank off in of him using a real upper.

8. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Active Member

Seattleish
    I
    By modifying the trigger group, I meant like in the thread I linked, where he had to shave the firing pin and top of the trigger box to fit the Vltor upper, not to put the we trigger group in a real lower.

9. Thai

Thai New Member

Durham
    2021-05-04 21.57.40-1.jpg

I built this systema PTW around a challenge kit and tackleberry motor.

Can you spot the repro stuff? If you answered fire selector, bolt stop, trigger, outer barrel, and lower receiver, you're correct. Everything else is real steel :).

It turns out real AR parts are as cheap or cheaper than airsoft parts for the PTW platform (and are a lot higher quality). I just think it's neat to know that every part you interface with on my bb pew pew is not just close to real steel, but IS real steel. I did the machining myself on the upper receiver, buffer tube, pmag, and MOE+ grip to get them to fit. I even reamed out the metric holes on the lower to fit real AR pins and detents. Most of it was nothing too fancy, just needed some calipers, patience, and a decent end mill bit. And a lot of weekends. It felt great torquing the Geissele barrel nut down to the actual barrel nut torque, since it's a real rainier arms forged 7075 upper on there :)

Most of the problems I ran into were with the PTW platform itself. It requires some INCREDIBLY tight tolerances on the internals for everything to work right. Once you get it dialed in, though, it's a tank: I haven't really serviced anything in 4 or 5 years.

Does it shoot better than any other tuned AEG? Nope. Could I have bought 2 or 3 normal AEG's for the price of this thing? Yup. Would I rather? Nope! My money, I do what I want with it. It's also nice to know the gun will probably survive being thrown down a mountain.

I was going to drill out a used 5.56mm barrel for this as well until I lifted it: steel barrels are friggin heavy. I'll stick with my wimpy aluminum repro, LOL. I'd also probably kill an end mill or two milling out hardened steel for the hop up unit.

If I feel cute later, I may mill out an 80% lower for the new systema infinity ptw gearbox. I dunno though, I'll have to find some more cash and a lot more time to attempt that project.

*EDIT: forgot to mention barrel in the top list as repro

ma_airsoft likes this.