Has anyone shimmed a lancer tactical m4

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by airsoftplayer14, Oct 13, 2012.

1. airsoftplayer14

airsoftplayer14 New Member

Tappet problem

I was wondering is the tappet supposed to be pushed back by the clip that is attached to the gear like i have it in the picture

image-1231114366.jpg

2. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    Yes that is normal and the way it's suppose to be.

3. UZIMASTER

UZIMASTER New Member

Ya it is cuz of the auto safety. But some times it gets to tight and jams, but at the moment yours seams to be fine.

4. airsoftplayer14

Also does this shim job sound good? I shimmed it last nigh and this is my first time taking apart a gearbox and first time shimming any thing involved with airsoft. So when the gear box is closed, without the anti reversal latch in i can get at least 5 rotations just by flicking the gear. Does this sound nicely shimmed?

5. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    It is perfectly normal, but during reassembly, rotate your sector gear so that your tappet does not contact your sector gear clip. In other words align your pick up tooth to about the 2-3 O'clock position. It helps with installation.

6. airsoftplayer14

So it should be like this

image-1933973695.jpg

7. airsoftplayer14

Shim job god or bad?

Does this shim job sound good? I shimmed it last night, and this is my first time taking apart a gearbox and first time shimming any thing involved with airsoft. So when the gear box is closed, without the anti reversal latch in,I can get at least 5 rotations just by flicking the gear. Does this sound nicely shimmed?

8. xXTacoMcFacoXx

xXTacoMcFacoXx New Member

Do all the gears have good mesh with eachother without grinding, including the pinion gear? There should be as much surface area connecting between the teeth of the gears as possible.

9. airsoftplayer14

I need to know because i have to have an idea if I'm doing this right. If you have shimmed a lancer tactical m4 please list the size shims and how many you use on each gear. This will really help me out. Thanks

10. RCV

RCV New Member

Did you adjust it to where your motor sits? Bushings or bearings? What gears are they? What shell is it? How clean did you polish everything? All of these play a role in friction and in whether or not 5 revolutions is good or not.

11. airsoftplayer14

They are lancer tactical gears and shell and how do i adjust the bearing height

12. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    He didn't say anything about bearing height.....

13. airsoftplayer14

I know i just read it I'm like darn it he meant if I'm using bushings or bearings lol. But I'm using bearings.

14. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    Yep. That's what's easiest for me anyway.

15. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    No I haven't, but you're not doing it right.

Each and every gearbox is going to be different, it doesn't matter if it's of the same brand.

Check the stickies in how to shim properly.

16. airsoftplayer14

Ok i will thanks ill check the stickies

17. airsoftplayer14

Should my gearbox make a clacking noise

As of now I'm working on my gearbox. There isn't anything in the gearbox except the gears and the motor but i hear a clacking noise when the teeth meet on the gear that pulls back the piston. Is this normal because there isn't any grinding on the gears its just every rotation of the sector gear is making a clacking noise. If this is normal please tell me, if not please tell me the solution to the problem. Thanks alot.