Featured Having some overspin issues.

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by kylendm, Nov 22, 2021 at 6:00 PM.

1. kylendm

kylendm Member

Atlantic City
    So I have a sig 551 that has been having overspin problems for a while.

It happens on 11.1 and 7.4. Installed is a Gate Titan, an older systema medium type motor, 13:1 gears, and I believe a M120 spring.

I understand the titan should be able to help this with active braking but no setting solves it. Even at 100%.

Also it doesnt double shot on every trigger pull. On 11.1 its double every 3-4th pull and 7.4 its every tenth or so. Any suggestions?

2. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

This sounds like a mosfet issue with cutoff somehow.

Overspin with that setup on a 2 cell lipo would be very little on a m120 with those gears and motor.

kylendm likes this.

3. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    I know this sounds completely crazy, but I was having a similar problem for a while and, again I know it sounds crazy, but is your bevel gear lining up perfectly with your pinion gear? You can tell if, even after a perfect shim job, your gears still sound noisy.

I will explain why I am asking this question later as I have a theory on why this happens with poorly made gearboxes that suffer from improper bevel placement.

kylendm likes this.
  4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Not to many makers of the SIG 551, I can only think of TM and ICS.

kylendm likes this.
  5. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    Maybe try replacing the motor. I know active braking puts a lot of stress on the brushes.

kylendm likes this.
  6. Ben3721

Sometimes if a motor is jacked up it will stop at a different spot every cycle. But I've only seen it happen on really snappy setups that already have a lot of overspin.

kylendm likes this.
  7. kylendm

kylendm Member

Atlantic City
    Ok so I opened up the gearbox, probably should have did that first, and found a bunch of broken pieces of metal in there. I think the spur gear ripped up a shim on the bevel gear. Anyway, I also noticed a bunch of grease on the sensors so i cleaned it up.

I tried it again after reshimming and all seems to be pretty good until i turned precocking on and then off again. Now its got some overspin again. I did notice that the spring lost a lot of power though. It was a m120 but now its only shooting about 1 joule. I know a weak spring can cause overspin so I'll order a new spring and I'll post again.

Also yes, this is an ICS 551. Very cool gun but it has a few archaic things like the medium motor and proprietary hop up unit.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I might also swap out the motor since it is quiet old. I think Tienly makes nice medium motors still.

8. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    Try a PDI spring. Very consistent.

9. kylendm

kylendm Member

Atlantic City
    How are the asg ones? I like that they are color coded

10. Ben3721

The coloring is nice but some still ends up flaking around the shell.

Springs are good tho.

11. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    I have heard the opposite. Color coating is nice but it will flake off as Ben mentioned above. Not to mention, look at how long that spring is. From what I hear, they are that long because of the cheap material they are made of. I am sure they are better than a stock spring, but if you want something that will last, invest in a quality spring. PDI 170% will get you around 380-390 fps and the PDI 190% will get you around 410-420. These are chrono reading with with .2 and good compression.

12. Ben3721

I've always stuck to guarder springs for my personal builds. Never shattered one yet.

Make sure the piston moves freely and the tappet/nozzle actually seals too if it still acts up.