? heat in wires

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by xAUSTIN316x, Jan 21, 2016.

1. xAUSTIN316x

xAUSTIN316x Member

LONG BEACH
    i just got a gun and i think i need to upgrade to wires that are better heat absorbent. what should i get im looking for top quality wires

2. ma_airsoft

ma_airsoft Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I definitely wouldn't touch it yet (assuming it is a new gun) most likely, it has a warranty so read up on it. If there is an issue you should be able to exchange it for a gun that works. If you don't have. Warranty, then I still wouldn't touch it. If the gun isn't working, then I would worry about there being a problem. When I used to run my gun, the wires would heat up. It bothered me, but it didn't affect the performance of the gun so I left it

3. xAUSTIN316x

xAUSTIN316x Member

LONG BEACH
    when i got the gun the mosfet over heated and started to smoke, so i exchanged it for a new one. on the new gun he did a stress test and he said the heat you feel now is normal. im very paranoid about it tho cause im new to airsoft. i really think it was the battery i have i tried it again and started to get hot but i stopped be for it could damage anything. after that i charged the battery and the gun worked fine shot real good to. but after that i dont trust that battery and am not going to use it again

4. Airborne101

Airborne101 Well-Known Member

Chicago
    Airsoft guns generally come with low quality thin wiring. Those two factors increase the resistance of the wiring. Resistance in an electrical circuit will convert electricity to heat.

Warm wires are natural, especially when its the stock wiring. Nothing to worry about. However that does leave room for improvement.

You can get thicker gauge (generally 16awg or 14awg if you can fit it) wire to replace the stock wiring. Copper and silver strand wire are both good. Higher strand counts per gauge will also make the wire more flexible allowing you to route it easily throughout the gearbox.

I use 16awg Alpha Eco wire, however it is generally expensive. You can get 25 foot segments of teflon coated wire on ebay for cheap and that will work quite well.

What gun and MOSFET are you using? The MOSFET may be junk which can explain why it is smoking (MOSFETs that come with guns are not as good as aftermarket MOSFETs). Your gun may also not be tuned very well. Poor shimming and motor height are 2 factors that can significantly increase the load on the motor. This increased load will cause it to try and draw more power from the battery, and therefore heat up your electrical circuit.

5. xAUSTIN316x

xAUSTIN316x Member

LONG BEACH
    would alpha eco fit in a v2 gerbox ?

6. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    If it's 16 gauge or smaller it could work. The the largest gauge I've been able to comfortably squeeze into a gearbox was 16 gauge. I've never been able to comfortably fit 14 gauge wiring into a V2 gearbox. Not saying it's not possible, I just didn't feel comfortable with the tight fit.

-mobile device-

7. xAUSTIN316x

xAUSTIN316x Member

LONG BEACH
    Ok thanks a lot 16 it is then

8. Airborne101

Chicago
    You might be able to fit 14awg Eco Wire if you aren't running a MOSFET and have decent size wire channels, but 16awg would be the safe choice.

9. xAUSTIN316x

xAUSTIN316x Member

LONG BEACH
    Would I be able to do a mosfet with the 16awg?

10. Airborne101

Chicago
    Yep. Most MOSFETs come with 16awg wire already soldered to them. Usually that wire is pretty good too.

11. xAUSTIN316x

xAUSTIN316x Member

LONG BEACH
    what mosfet do you recommend ?

12. Airborne101

Chicago
    For just a basic MOSFET to protect your trigger contacts, almost any out there will do. I have taken a liking to the APEX Python, however the Nukefet and, on this forum, Zardichar's MOSFET, are popular and good.

If you are looking for something programmable the Chimera and Spectre MOSFET from Blacktalon Airsoft are good, as is Extreme-fire SW-Cheetah-2N.

13. xAUSTIN316x

xAUSTIN316x Member

LONG BEACH
    thanks but damn those blackalon ones are sold out :(

14. Airborne101

Chicago
    They sell out fast. You will have to find a dealer and jump on one when they get a batch.

Spazzticsmuff is a dealer.

15. xAUSTIN316x

xAUSTIN316x Member

LONG BEACH
    Ok thanks now I just need dome one to install it for me

16. Airborne101

Chicago
    If you are comfortable shipping it out, I can do that.

17. xAUSTIN316x

xAUSTIN316x Member

LONG BEACH
    Sweet I'll let you know when I get the mosfet