Help cleaning a line inside barrel

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Dwosky, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Dwosky

Dwosky Member

I was checking my replica barrel and I've seen it has a clear line inside of it. The aspect its like if a BB was rubbed in a straight line all over it. It doesn't have any white residue, but its not smooth as the rest of the barrel, so I was wondering if there is a way to clean/remove that in order to make all the barrel smooth.

Both captures where made rotating the barrel for each one, so the line appears on left of one and right of the other, but the line its straight and always on the same spot. Not sure if its easily noticeable on my pics...

2018-04-16 21.14.03.jpg 2018-04-16 21.14.43.jpg

Any idea how to remove that residue from the barrel?

2. Wh33ler

Wh33ler Active Member

Denton
    Are we talking about cleaning the inner barrel? If so, 550 paracord, a gun cleaning swab, and some acetone. You'll want to remove your inner barrel from your gun and hopup unit (which appears you have done in the pics).

3. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    A BB didn't do that...what did you run through the barrel?

Can you rub any of it off with a q-tip and solvent?

4. Dwosky

Dwosky Member

This is a second hand (or third, since I don't know its usage) gun I got last year, so no idea what the barrel sustained. I ran some acetone with the cleaning rod an a piece of towel attached to it, but it seems it wasn't enough. I will try the paracord, since I believe that could rub better that surface.

The barrel its a 6.01, couldn't cheap BBs made that line? I don't have the barrel at hand now, but I believe the line its on the top of the barrel, so my guess was that cheap BBs + wrong hopup setup might made the BB to roll up the upper part of the barrel.

5. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Regular Airsoft BBs can't damage a barrel like that...it still rides a cushion of air as it travels down the barrel.

I don't think it's residue, rather I think it's a scratch. Not holding the item in my hand to examine, I can't say. If you could take a better in focus picture and zoomed on part of the "line" it would help.

6. Wh33ler

Wh33ler Active Member

Denton
    It might be something that can be polished out. But if it's not BB residue, then yeah it's probably a scratch. Just curious how it got there. Unless it was damaged during a previous cleaning with the wrong tools/materials.

7. Dwosky

Dwosky Member

2018-04-17 15.36.55.jpg

This is the "best" image I'm able to get with the camera. The line looks like some scratch now that I'm checking it close, so it might be due to the previous owner using whatever item to clean it...

I've tried using a paracord to clean it, but it seems its stuck, so I'm afraid it might be a scratch instead of some dust or residue.

8. SkyEye

SkyEye Active Member

Tucson
    I use cheap BBs a lot with my 6.01 (shouldn’t, but I do). No BB did that.

9. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    It's just a stock barrel (not something high end or worth saving) so just toss it and buy a new inner barrel. Something that's equivalent quality to your stock barrel costs around $10. An upgrade would be a stainless steel one from ZCI that costs $20-30. Prometheus would be $40+

-Spitfire- and Wh33ler like this.
  10. Dwosky

Dwosky Member

Oh! That's my bad for not saying it on the first post... Its not the stock barrel but a PDI Raven 6.01. Still I think I will have to scratch the wallet and get a new one... :(

11. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    Ah, no wonder. For your next barrel, I'd get something 6.03 or bigger as 6.01 is way too risky with jams from a random bad BB.

12. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    It actually looks like a blemish now.

Send me the barrel and I can examine it and perhaps clean it up for you.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  13. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oceanside
    Please be joking.

14. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Key word "Regular". I have yet to see a Good Regular Polymer BB blemish a barrel like that, in such a straight line.

And with this image and the location of the line...that is not due to a bb.

[​IMG]

7:00 Position on the lower side of the barrel. And some barrel material not dark in color and above the dark spot.

Dwosky,

Can you hold a light behind you and take this shot again? Shine down the barrel. Or do it from in front of the barrel but at an off angle to get the light to refract off the blemish.

15. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oceanside
    Allow me to specify what part of your statement I was referring to... The BB part I agreed with.

16. Dwosky

Dwosky Member

I think I found the issue... The barrel its a PDI Raven 6.01 and on PDI's Facebook page I've found the following:
    11391383_996963716988812_1340846118155497534_n.jpg

Note the "there is a little line or tiny scratched" line above. I don't have any other PDI Raven to check it out, but that might explain why does it have that line if its done by the manufacturing process.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  17. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    So, issue reseolved.

It is a manufacturing effect and not caused by a bb.