Help for my first time modding

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by cow, Jun 19, 2015.

1. cow

cow New Member

I have played airsoft for 2 years now and i want to get into modding. I am using the Beretta ARX160 Competition CQB and want to upgrade the piston and piston head, cylinder head, and barrel. The gearbox is ver. 3 so I don't know if that changes much when it comes to buying parts.

Please help me it would be much appreciated.

2. stjimmy1500

stjimmy1500 New Member

St John
    Options are endless... and you will find a ton of information about parts by just researching and researching. And you will learn a lot more by doing that than by asking for someone to do the research for you. But, I also find it very rude when someone asks for help and the first guy says "Dude go back and do some research first" or "Did you even use the search bar." So I'm not going to be that guy and instead give you some starter advice.

I'll start off by giving you some clarification on parts:
    The cylinder head is the only thing on your list that is gearbox-specific. So when shopping for a cylinder head, make sure to get a V3 cylinder head. Also, look for a metal one, probably made out on CNC aluminum, with double o-rings on it. This will give excellent air seal. I don't know if the stock one in your gun is plastic or not, but if it is, then a metal cylinder head is a great upgrade. As for brands, I have an ASG Ultimate Silent cylinder head. The quality is really good gives perfect air seal. You don't need a silent cylinder head unless you want to try it out, like I did. It really isn't that much quieter at all, it just gives the gun more of a rubber "dud" sound instead of a snappy "pop" like a flat cylinder head. Also, if you get a "silent" cylinder head, make sure to match it with a silent piston head. It's your preference, but the main thing is a metal double o-ring cylinder head.

Next, the barrel, piston head, and piston are not gearbox-specific. So you can buy any kind of these and they will fit in your gun.

Barrel: there are countless (COUNTLESS) topics to what a good barrel is and so on. I recommend reading lots and lots of these so you get a good idea of what you need and what you want. Once you know what length you need, next figure out what caliber barrel. Again, the question of perfect barrel diameter is still debated, but a safe bet is a 6.03mm tight bore. Brass barrels are the common ones that are in stock guns, and they aren't a terrible option if you're on a budget. If you have some money to spend, the best route is a steel barrel. People have said that a good quality barrel form a good brand is more important than barrel diameter, and they're probly right. Off the top of my head, Prometheus is a reputable brand.

Piston and Piston Head: Both of these come in either Polycarbonate or Metal. Metal is stronger, but heavier. I believe most people consider a poly piston and piston head to be adequate. Especially if you're not upgrading the spring, a poly piston and piston head should be fine. Pretty much anything you find would work. Some pistons also come with half or full length steel teeth. Again, some say that poly is better, some say steel is better. It's your gun build, so you can do what you want.

With these parts, you can expect your fps to go up for sure, and also give your gun some more durability compared to stock parts. Once you get into modding, there's no going back. There's so much to learn and do that you won't get bored. Frustrated, yes at times, but that's all part of the process. If you have any more questions feel free to ask, and good luck

3. cow

cow New Member

Thanks a lot for all of the help. I will definitely read into the stuff like you told me and hopefully make a good decision on parts.
    Also could you tell me if this is the cylinder head you were talking about
    http://www.evike.com/products/35837/

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015