Help picking battery for G&G Combat Machine M4

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by BBMagnet, Nov 14, 2012.

1. BBMagnet

BBMagnet New Member

I picked up a G&G Combat Machine and need help choosing a battery. I have gotten conflicting information...

1) One experienced player recommended a LiPo - 11.1v 1200mAh 15-25c.

and...

2) An Airsoft tech from an Army/Navy store was sure that the LiPo would ruin the gun! He suggested a 9.6 NiMh, just as the instructions that came with the gun suggested.

What's the deal?

2. Finalencounter

Finalencounter Duke of Penguins Supporting Member

Warrenton
    Well, it is true that a lipo will kill a stock CM, but they are better batteries. You want to run a lipo after you upgrade the internals.

3. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    This the guy by chance? http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f6/lipo-combat-machine-64648/

Anyways yeah 9.6v or 8.4v Nimh, remember to get a smart charger, intellect makes nice nimh batteries.

4. HEO

HEO New Member

I would like to here more on this, I have a CM16 (stock) with a 9.6 Nimh 1200 ma. The stock motor draws .96 amps on full auto. I would think a 2000 ma would work best. Comments welcome.

5. wolf00

wolf00 New Member

I would get a lipo 7.4(=9.6v) i have the exact same gun and was looking for a battery too, i decided to go with this one.

6. BBMagnet

BBMagnet New Member

What upgrades?

What upgrades do you think should be done to make the CM more battle-ready?

7. Finalencounter

Warrenton
    Well, I won't go into great detail, as there are other existing threads on upgrading, but to get your gun ready to use on a lipo:
    Some DIY stuff you should do is correct AOE, radius the cylinder, shim, polish and regrease everything.
    Unless I'm mistaken, the stock gears should be fine, but to play it safe you could put a better quality gear set in there.

8. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    Be sure to add a mosfet, lipos damage trigger contacts.

9. Finalencounter

Warrenton
    Over quite a period of time anyways.

10. GunsnBones

GunsnBones New Member

He would also need deans connecters because they have less resistance than standard tamiya connecters. Also, deans fit more snug than tamiya connecters.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  11. BBMagnet

BBMagnet New Member

Summarize...

So to summarize...

To get my G&G M4 CM ready to accept a 11.1 LiPo...

I NEED: to correct AOE, radius the cylinder, shim, polish and regrease everything.

I MAY WANT: to put a better quality gear set in, add a mosfet, replace Tamiya with Deans.

What do you think would be the approximate cost range to upgrade? I know there is no end to "up" as far as prices go... but what would be a reasonable estimate to cover all the upgrades?

12. chi-airsofter

chi-airsofter New Member

mokena
    Pretty much, I would replace those tamiyas though, they're terrible. They have also been known to melt on high stress setups.

13. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    In reality you can make your AEG 11.1v lipo ready for as little as $15 + optional MosFet.
    It's not a lego build though. You need to have experience and skill in order to perfectly shim and correct the AoE.

It's not the cost that keeps people away. It is the modifications and fine tuning that do.

14. airsoftplayer14

airsoftplayer14 New Member

My CM Shoots about 16 bps with a g&p 9.6 nimh small type battery with the stock spring . I suggest getting that one. Even with a m130 spring I can still pull it back with the stock motor on the battery I told you about and all my other 9.6 batteries cant. All I'm trying to say is that it is a fairly high output battery.

15. Finalencounter

Warrenton
    That's a pretty low ROF... my stock Echo1 was shooting at about 20, when I upgraded it it was in the mid to high 20s, and it definitely wasn't a high speed build.

16. airsoftplayer14

Ok so 4 bps faster and what battery did you use to get that 20 bps.

17. Finalencounter

Warrenton
    I said about, it was in the 23s. A Matrix 9.6 1600. My point was the 16 bps isn't much.

18. airsoftplayer14

Because your probably used to 30bps, any way it doesn't really matter.

19. Finalencounter

Warrenton
    Not really. I was just pointing out to the OP that 16 bps wasn't that high.

20. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    16 is pretty low I'd say. A perfect roffor beginners though.