Help wanted!

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Highlord_Protanimus, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Highlord_Protanimus

Highlord_Protanimus New Member

Vancouver
    Being new to Air Soft, I have many questions and concerns, but here is my top one. My gear CURRENTLY consists of a Colt M1911A1 Spring Airsoft, a Lancer Tactical Combat Bayonet, a Daisy Powerline 340 and Safety Glasses. No armor, pads, helmets, gloves, vests, etc. Now, I use a pistol as my primary, with my knife as a secondary/steady aim assist, and the final pistol as a last resort. I would consider myself to be a "Lightweight" class, because I prefer to run and cover, and sneak up and assassinate my opponents. My question now is, what gear would I absolutely need, but still be light enough to run and cover with ease?

2. Steve116277

Steve116277 Member

North Alabama
    Welcome to the sport!

First off, do a lot of reading on these forums. You'll find a wealth of info and guidance.

Secondly, for a light load, look to CQB size guns. For example, I run an AKS74u which weighs 5 pounds and is less than 30 inches long with the stock folded. You'll find many gun options of a similar size.

For gear, get a good quality battle belt that has MOLLE webbing. That will allow you to add as many or few pouches as you need. Another option would be a small chest rig or a JPC.

3. Highlord_Protanimus

Vancouver
    Those JPCs look a little snug for a lightweight, but it looks a lot lighter than the other gear I was looking at. As for a rifle, what should I use? I hear electric is good, but most of my budget fits spring action.

4. Steve116277

Steve116277 Member

North Alabama
    You probably should get an AEG to start with. I've seen guys play with springers and have a blast but you will be at a competitive disadvantage.

Check the budget threads here on AS. You can get a pretty solid AEG for around $100 if, and only if, you do your homework and buy right. I recommend greatly that you look at a company called CYMA. They make great beginning/budget level guns. They are especially known for making good AK style guns.

Their base model is the CM028 which can be bought at times for under $100.

5. bjonas71

bjonas71 Member

palm coast
    isn't the Daisy Powerline 340 a metal bb pistol?

6. Zaryk

Zaryk Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Southern
    Yes, it is a .177 cal bb pistol, which should never be used on an airsoft field. Ever.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  7. Highlord_Protanimus

Vancouver
    That's why I mentioned it, I hear people telling me all the time to use it, and people who tell me not to. I'm looking for experienced opinions.

8. Zaryk

Southern
    You could hurt somebody with a metal bb gun. They are not meant for shooting people at all and typically have velocities too high for airsoft which makes it dangerous for the people around you.

9. Steve116277

Steve116277 Member

North Alabama

You need to get to a local field and see what actually goes on in airsoft. Anybody who tells you to use an actual BB gun has no clue about the sport. Don't listen to those people.

At least check out some gameplay videos. Look at the videos by Airsoftology and DesertFox Airsoft. They are two of the more nationally popular airsoft figures.

10. Highlord_Protanimus

Vancouver
    Thank you both, Steve116277 and Zaryk, for the bonus information on the metal BB subject. Now, I've eliminated guns on my list for my primary, and now have another question. Do you think I could use an FN P90 for my primary? Or would it be too heavy? If it's too heavy, I was thinking I should use an automatic pistol, like a Mac 10 or a CZ Scorpion EVO.

11. Tactical_Skittles

Tactical_Skittles Active Member

Moscow
    I would go with an M4 for a primary...lots of models at entry level prices, huge parts availability, and ergonomic fire controls. CYMA and JG both make good M4's under $150.

You definitely should go onto Evike or Airsoft GI and look at the types of airsoft guns that exist and their mode of operation (electric or gas)...this should give you a better idea of what's out there, because the only Scorpion currently on the market is $400.

12. Zaryk

Southern

I agree with tactical skittles here. An m4 is a great place to start. If your looking for small or light weapons look for an m4 cqb. I'm not a fan of the m4 platform ( I'm an ak guy myself ) but the m4 is the most universal gun in airsoft. Customization options for it is almost endless.

13. Highlord_Protanimus

Vancouver
    Thank you, Tactical_Skittles! I've already considered an M4 model, and while it is an amazing model, both durable and light, it's not quite my style. My quick draw ranges from between .8 to 1.3 of a second to draw my pistol and knife, and as such allows me to evac or advance much faster than a lot of people I've seen, both online and in field. Speed works best for me, and the M4 models I've played with didn't give me the speed or maneuverability I'm looking for.

14. ma_airsoft

ma_airsoft Well-Known Member Supporting Member

they do make a pistol version of the m4 if that interests you.

15. Stealthyrt

Stealthyrt Member

Howell
    This is a joke right?

16. Tactical_Skittles

Tactical_Skittles Active Member

Moscow
    Like I said, look online and see the different types of M4's in your budget. JG makes a stubby build with a 5" barrel and collapsible stock, if I remember correctly. The standard 14.5" M4 that I run is plenty maneuverable for me, and I play in CQB/MOUT environments.

Once you settle on a platform, you will develop a feel for it after a few games. Don't expect to be doing sub-1 second mag changes after holding it for five seconds. I've been running the same M4 for two years and I'm still picking up ways to improve my weapons manipulation.

If you are set on running a pistol though, look into TM or KJW. Their GBBs are miles better than any springer, and you can go head-to-head with an AEG user and win.

17. Highlord_Protanimus

Vancouver
    An extra thank you to you, Tactical_Skittles! I had not known that there was a pistol build for an M4! I might have a friend that owns one, so I will take it for a spin as soon as I can. But you're right, I was dead set on using a pistol/knife combo. But, with a folding or removable stock, and possibly a smaller mag, this would make for a perfect load-out!

18. ibob4tacoz

ibob4tacoz what am I doing Supporting Member

Buckeye
    Steady aim assist. OK.

19. Session

Session New Member

I don't know what kind of retards you think you are going to be playing gainst, but let me assure you. Go tho either of the CQB places in your area and you will get roasted.

20. Steve116277

Steve116277 Member

North Alabama
    My local field has a couple of players who regularly wreck face using only a pistol.