Help! What do I put on my helmet?

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by llbb010, Dec 26, 2012.

1. llbb010

llbb010 New Member

I got a plastic replica of a Mich 2000 for Christmas and I don't have any mounts or anything. I decided to look online anyway long story short I have no clue what all these things mean. Different mounts etc. etc.

2. rblevinski

rblevinski New Member Supporting Member

Philadelphia
    What are you asking? Could you specify?

Edit: if your asking what an NVG mount is or what rails are a quick Google search of "Helmet night vision goggle mount purpose" or "helmet rail purpose" should give you an answer.

3. llbb010

llbb010 New Member

I am asking basically for a complete run down of the meanings of everything such as NVG. Also I'm wondering what I need to get to attach my flakjaks to my helmet.

4. Grin

Grin New Member Lifetime Supporter

Irvine
    Google is still your friend, bud. "What does NVG mean?".

And you don't need anything to put your goggles on your helmet if they have the normal straps.

5. rblevinski

Philadelphia
    You'll want goggle retention straps for your goggles and those small little things on the back of your helmet to attach the strap. I don't own these, I have no experience with them.

NVG- Night Vision Goggles
    NVG Mount- There are two types, used to mount night vision goggles or other accessories such as a GoPro camera.
    Rails- Placed on the side of your helmet to attach a camera, flashlight, or other accessory on standard rails that fit within these helmet rails.
    Velcro- Placed on the helmet for patches for things such as call signs or flags.

There are other things that I have very little to no experience in. These are just very basic things.

6. Grin

Irvine
    There are far more than two types of NVG mounts.

7. Travis896

Travis896 New Member

Hager City
    Write "Born to Kill" on it.

8. Scout_Master

Scout_Master New Member

Gastonia
    To quickly answer your question, the only thing that you would want or need would be rabbit ears on the back of your helmet to retain the strap of your goggled should they for some reason fall off of your face. A rail system will allow you to mount a flashlight or camera to your helmet, or if your field allows it a strobe light to disorient your opponents in low light environments.

As for NVG (night vision goggles) or NODs (Night Optic Devices) unless you have spend $500+ on a pair of NODs the only thing you will find are dummies or replicas that do little more than make your field of vision green or white with black detail if you are using FLIR (Forward Looking Infra Red) NODS.

Your best bet would be to invest in rails for a red lens flash light (Yes red lens is important, I won't go into why unless I am asked) a strobe and maybe a camera. As one poster above stated pile patches (the fuzzy side of velcro) to put cool patches and such on your helmet.

below is a link should you be interested in shopping for any kind of legitimate NODs

https://www.google.com/#q=Night+Optic+Device&hl=en&tbm=shop&ei=SuDbUK__A4za8ATFiYHwBw&start=10&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.eWU&fp=dbc8a97786efe97d&bpcl=40096503&biw=1120&bih=589

9. rblevinski

Philadelphia
    Like I said, I have very little experience with these. I only know about two or three types.

10. llbb010

llbb010 New Member

Thanks. What is the thing the guy in the pic is wearing in the front that holds his goggles in place? [​IMG] and not to change the topic but what's goggles/glasses is he wearing.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  11. Robin-Hood

Robin-Hood New Member

Inverness
    My suggestion:

Norotos Shroud
    Surefire Helmet Light
    MS2000 Strobe
    New Velcro
    Flag Patches
    Skydex Pads
    Real Chinstrap

by the way that thing is the arm for his night vision... It's not actually "to hold his goggles in place".

12. rblevinski

Philadelphia
    Don't really know what that thing is called, but since that guy is from a video game the goggles are just goggles. No specific brand or anything. If your looking for goggles I would get Revision Desert Locust Goggles.

13. Grin

Irvine
    As Robin said, it's a standard Rhino Arm. It's a NOD arm, not something to hold his goggles in place.

14. llbb010

llbb010 New Member

Now I feel like an idiot LOL, but thanks.

EDIT: Ummmmm... My helmet doesn't have screws on it like this one: http://www.shootercbgear.com/product_info.php?products_id=357
    Does that mean I can have retention straps and stuff? This is what I have: http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Air-M9-Army-Helmet/dp/B004R12MAO/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2

EDIT: WOW NOW I FEEL JUST PLAIN DUMB!!! I have an PASGT M88 not a Mich 2000...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012