Help with air rig

Discussion in 'Classic Guns' started by Sharp, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Sharp

Sharp Member

Waukesha
    Alright, so I'm building my first air rig for my new Daytona Gun (my original was prebought but since it used a dual reg it didn't function properly 100% of the time with my DG M4). Mashing together 2 different guides on CA.org I bought all my parts from Mcmaster but now have an issue.

Basically my QD fitting doesn't screw in very deep into my 6mm tube adapter, I can get maybe one and a half revolutions in before it stops screwing. The guide did note the fact it wouldn't go in all the way, but I just don't feel comfortable with how little screwing I did (that sounded wrong). Anything I can do to screw it in more or is it good like this? I haven't applied any PTFE tape yet incase there is something I can do. Here's a pic for reference, and yes they're the same size (1/8")

I have the male QD end screwed in as far as I can get it into the adapter and the female next to the other adapter for reference.

[​IMG]

2. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    Have you checked if the threads are not damaged?

3. Sharp

Sharp Member

Waukesha
    Yes, they're all undamaged from what I could tell. I'm gonna give a shot at trying to clean the threads, doubt it'll help but we'll see.

4. Thestig

Thestig Some say... Supporting Member

Colorado Springs and Southern California
    I have run into this a few times. First off, where did you get the QD parts from? Some of the low quality ones are off-sized. Next, clean the threads. Both. Lastly, if it still doesn't fit, you could try putting the QD in a vise, and screw it in with a wrench.

5. Sharp

Sharp Member

Waukesha
    Its all from McMaster, only place I order stuff like this from. I'll give it a good cleaning, what would you recommend for doing so, toothbrush? Vice is a last resort.

6. Thestig

Thestig Some say... Supporting Member

Colorado Springs and Southern California
    The vice should be last resort. I would use a toothbrush, or a wire brush. I would also use some sort of soft cleaning solution.

7. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    That female doesn't look like it goes that deep anyway. Probably more than 1.5 but not much more than 3 at the most. Use locktite as well. My air rig I had a similar problem (2.5 threads) but locktite and I was all set and it's not blown off yet

8. G36fanatic...

G36fanatic... Supporting Member Supporting Member

Boulder
    The thread pitch is different. Dont screw it in or you will ruin both parts. Take it to a hardware store and find out what the thread pitch is on both of them, and then go order the new, CORRECT part from McMasterCarr.

I've pieced together a few air rigs, so if you need help, let me know and I can help you find the right parts.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  9. Sharp

Sharp Member

Waukesha
    Figured that was it, I already had ordered new parts (same serial #, I guess someone just screwed up, I already emailed them about it) from McMasterCarr and they work fine. One final question, I've got everything together and ready to rock except there's a small hole towards my stabilizer that is just leaking air. Apparently it's for a gauge (according to my Google search) but since I'm using the 1/8" it's unneeded, anyway to plug it?

Here's a reference pic (This is just a stock picture off amazon):

[​IMG]

10. G36fanatic...

G36fanatic... Supporting Member Supporting Member

Boulder
    that is a pressure release. If its leaking from that small hole, your regulator has a bad O-riing somewhere inside and needs to be serviced. If you were to plug that, you would explode whatever gun you tried to shoot. The hole thats plugged right in the middle, with the silver set hex head, is where the guage goes.

11. Sharp

Sharp Member

Waukesha
    Yeah, opened up my stabilizer and the oring in there...was like half melted and practically fell apart as I peeled it off, looks like I'll need to buy one of those Palmer rebuild kits.

12. Sharp

Sharp Member

Waukesha
    I thought I was good until today. I got everything replaced and ready to go, I dropped down my Ninja tank's pressure to 500 PSI by removing the red disks and then I began screwing on my low pressure palmer's reg. With the adjustment screw completely backed out, I still was pushing 300 PSI (the max my gauge goes) by barely screwing the reg onto my tank. It seems like my reg is doing a ****** job at regulating. From my limited ability to troubleshoot, it seems like its the regulator itself somehow, I've replaced all the o-rings, disassembled and lubed everything needing lube, and it still is outputting at way too high of a PSI just from barely applying pressure onto the tank's pin.

I'm not really sure what to do besides just buy a new regulator and see if that helps

13. spoof

spoof New Member

Send it back.
    Period. Unless your a machinist and know your stuff, don't mess with fire.
    I've had probably 6 go back to palmers and I know how to fix them. Why do I do that... because they tend to help you out more knowing the reg's haven't been tampered or modified.

Btw, this is the reason to always own 2 palmers. One has issues, send it back, and wallah, still playing.