High ROF debate

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by CplFlores, Sep 1, 2012.

1. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

My buddy wants to improve his rate of fire on his g&g combat machine. He's having a MOSFET installed and I think he's running a 9.6v battery. Someone suggested to him that he might want to put in a high torque motor in also. From what I know and read, high torque motors are good for high fps setups, not high rof. High speed motors and gearsets are designed for high rof. Is there any truth about putting in a high torque motor for a high speed setup?

2. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

High torque motors are actually awesome for high speed builds, you just use lower ratio gears and a higher voltage battery. The result is a high ROF with godlike trigger response. You can of course use high speed motors with high speed gears and get an even higher ROF, but it will draw a huge amount of power. Most DSG setups use high torque motors if I'm not mistaken, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    You're pretty much correct NorTech. I prefer Lonex reds though, myself. Perfect mix of speed and torque. Pushing 50 RPS with one on a SSG.

4. Lefse

The Lonex A1 is a very nice motor, haven't tried it yet, but will consider it for my next build. So far I have two guns with the A2 and one with the A4, and I love all of them.

5. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    The A1's are fantastic. I'm running one in my lower stress DSG build. Running 55RPS on 20:1's w/ an m170 and an 11.1v.

I've only installed A1's into a few "stock" (have my MOSFETs and 14g wiring installed, and tuned obviously), and they all push about 31RPS on the stock 18:1 ratio.

I like the A2, but don't use it as much as the A1. The only Lonex motor that I haven't had good results with was the A3 (haven't tried the A4 or 5). On the same stock setup a above, it put the rifle at about 27RPS. All of these rifles were tuned to fire at 400FPS for use at LC.

6. Lefse

Seems like many people aren't happy with the A3. My setups with the A2 motor seems to keep up with most A3 setups that have similar gears and such. With the A2 motor, 18:1 gears, M120 spring and a 35C 11.1v li-po it did 28rps, not quite as fast as the A1 but keeps up with the A3 it seems. I guess even Lonex can mess up. Maybe the A3 just needs a ton of current to perform well, that would make it kinda pointless though.

I haven't tried the A5, but I really like the A4. It's dirt cheap, only $24.50 and gives my P90 roughly 35rps with an M110 spring, 18:1 gears and a 35C 11.1v li-po. It even has decent torque and is fairly efficient, and runs very quiet. I would say that's pretty good bang for the buck.

7. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    That's not bad. I might have to give the A4 a shot sometime. Although I probably won't ever have the need for one, I might order one when I make my next Lonex order.

8. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    Question: Since it is a low stress build, do you have to perform a lot of routine maintenance?

9. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    You should always perform routine maintenance regardless of the build.

I wouldn't say that I preform more on this build than I do on others. I will say that I perform it more frequently than my other rifles though. That's only because 55RPS gets to 30k (just a random number, I perform maintenance when I see fit, or performance starts to degrade) cycles a lot faster than 30RPS does...

That and nowadays, I really only use my DSG, and my P*... And by that, I mean that I really only use my P*.