High Speed Dboy M4 Build

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Rifled-n-Ready, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Rifled-n-Ready

Rifled-n-Ready New Member

Duluth
    So, i grabbed a Dboy cqbr from ASMS's bone-yard for a great price and put an ICS outer barrel on it that i had chilling in a parts pile in my room, tuned it up a little and tossed in an o-ring air-seal nozzle, a non-neo JG blue motor i also had around, an Aim 6.04 TBB and a random "W" mound bucking. I got a solid ROF and trigger response for a stock gun, after dicking around with it for about a month its reached it"s time to get some lovin'. I originally wanted as fast of a trigger response as i could get withing a reasonable price range without getting a high ROF. But then i just said to hell with it and ill take both a high rof and fast trigger response. :) So after some sitting on some cash that has no purpose i had an exodus and spent it on a Lonex A1 and a Lonex Hard Bucking. My parts list is as follows;

Stock Parts being Kept.
    -Spring guide
    -Shell, Radius-ed
    -Tappet
    -Trigger block, shuttle and arm
    -Safety block
    -Hop Chamber, tuned
    -Selector Plate
    -Would have kept the piston head had i not accidentally broke it, RIP
    -Wiring, i think the stock wire is 16 awg on this thing.
    -Tyminya connectors!!! Lol no. Die, Die violently little POS's
    -Most of the externals.

What I have or is on-route to my house this very moment.
    -Lonex A1 Titan series
    -Shs 13:1's and a sector chip and a GE bearing bevel. How many should i SS? Im thinking 2 teeth
    -Matrix/Aimtop 14T, A little swiss cheese is in order here. I know, not the best piston, it was in a gun i got in a trade.
    -Systema or Lonex bucking. Not sure which one the M4 gets, and which one the M16 gets
    -Sorbo 70d
    -Steel Shs 7mm bushings
    -M120
    -VFC Cylinder, cause it's shiny
    -VFC Cylinder Head, cause it's pretty, and eh, seals good to, not that that matters....
    -Shimmlies, durr
    -Dean's
    -Clone EO 552
    -AFG
    -Rear flip up sight
    -Smexy paint job, im thinking a dusty look, got the paint.
    -Old beat up KAC flashider

What I don't have, need to buy, but first need cash to buy them and things i may pick up in an ideal world.
    -Mosfet, not yet sure which one i want, no AB
    -Shs 15t nylon piston
    -A nice light piston head, suggestions?
    -IR hop, i wanna dive in and try it, i'd hate to screw up and waste $15 bucks though.
    -More mags, im thinking mids in the 170 capacity range
    - 5" or 6" suppressor to go on my old CQB barrel, just for when i feel like looking fancy
    -LaRue rail covers, paint tan
    - A functioning Peq
    -A weapon light, gets dark fast in the winter round here
    -Smexy flashhider
    -STS
    -GR-16 grip, megusta...
    I'll add to this list as i think of stuff.

So If you see something you'd do differently let me know. I'll get some pic's up ASAP. Right now the gun is all apart so i may as well snap a shot of the gb when i'm done shimming it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  2. L5132

L5132 New Member

Duluth
    TL; DR: RnR is going to break stuff again.

3. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Why not get a Lonex Red piston and swisscheese the hell out of it instead of the SHS 15T? For piston head I suggest a Lonex POM head, I'm using them in two of my guns, I have no complaints about them at all, the o-ring is also very good.

2 teeth short stroke should be enough. Make sure you study the gear thoroughly before even shimming them, SHS gears have had a 50% "lemon" rate for me, so they are a gamble IMO. If you're lucky and get a good set, then they'll serve you well.

4. Rifled-n-Ready

Duluth
    Oh i've been using this set for 20k rounds in an old gun, i retired the gun a while ago as my my m16 made it look silly. They have just been laying around, they're a plenty good set still have almost no wear, i just never used the bevel and glued. I just got done SS'ing 2 teeth from the sector and now im waiting for the mail.
    i gotta go swiss cheese the matrix piston and i have another question, if i removed the 2 teeth from the sector do i absolutely have to take the 2 teeth off the piston to? Because my dremel is acting up and it's gonna make taking those teeth off hell as the teeth rack is already glued in-place.
    Happy Christmas eve everyone!

5. milkshake38

milkshake38 New Member

irvine
    Another redditor!

OP, the list sounds great. I wanna see pictures when you're done

6. Rifled-n-Ready

Duluth
    Once i grease this box up and get 'er ready for the top half of the shell to go on i'll go find a camera, should be a couple of minutes.

7. Rifled-n-Ready

Duluth
    Here they are, can't wait to get that lonex a1, hopefully my SHS speed will turn it over so i can test fire it.

Attached Files:

8. Lefse

Is that an un-glued bushing I see? You should really glue down the bushings.

9. Rifled-n-Ready

Duluth
    I went though and glued them all down, what you see is a SHS .02 shim on top of a GE bevel bearing, just shot it and got PE, semi is awesome though, just what i wanted and the shimming was great but i need to lower the bevel a tad methinks. Now im gonna throw, or rather fight, my spare m130 into it and test it, man this lonex A1 is a beauty. So happy right now. Also should i use my lonex hard bucking or my systema with this setup?

10. Lefse

I see, that's okay then. The Lonex A1 is indeed an excellent motor. I would probably use a soft bucking, but a hard bucking should work well too, both are good really, but the Lonex is probably cheaper.

11. Rifled-n-Ready

Duluth
    No like i have both the buckings, currently i have the systema bucking installed, im just deciding whether i want to take the time to put the lonex bucking in or not. Ill prob just try the lonex and see, i personally trust lonex more then systema to put out quality, running outta sunlight to be able to see the bb's though. :p

12. Rifled-n-Ready

Duluth
    Interesting, i got a chance to test them today, seems like the lonex had a hell of a lot of flyers and inconstant shots, it was all installed properly but the bb's that shot right flew perfect, the systema bucking had seemed to be slightly worse in that it arc'd the bb a lot more, i think i'll flat hop the systema bucking and check it out, i also am gonna revise the bevel's shim job as it has a slight bit of whining.
    On another note i shot shots clean through the top of a pop can, so how much fps is that? im a bit worried cause i don't wanna hurt someone

13. Lefse

I'm getting nearly 200 feet effective range out of a 1J MP5K with a TM 140mm barrel and a Guarder soft bucking, so you're either doing something wrong, or you have a defective component somewhere in your setup.

You should consider getting a chrono or find somewhere to chrono your gun. A tech without a chrono is like a cook cooking on a fire, it works, but it's not an efficient or precise way of doing it.

14. Rifled-n-Ready

Duluth
    I don't think the fact that im testing with .2's is helping lol. They are all i have laying around the house, ill be getting some .25's on Saturday though.

15. Rifled-n-Ready

Duluth
    Whoa, my lonex a1 started acting funny, then it started to heat up alot just from a couple burst shots and was slower. On a hunch i took off the end bell and cleaned of the brushes and where they run and wow did that wake that motor up. I'm getting a noticeably faster trigger response and rof. Ever hear of this before cause that thing was brand new when i got it on monday.
    Also would cleaning the motor like alot of RC guys clean brushed motors and putting it in water with a AA battery powering it be a bad idea?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  16. Lefse

The brushes have to wear in properly before you get optimal performance, so it's most likely just your brushes that are beginning to wear in.

17. Rifled-n-Ready

Duluth
    I thought lonex's were pre-broke in from factory.

18. Lefse

The brushes are rounded to fit the commutator better but I imagine some wear in is still necessary to get optimal performance.

19. Rifled-n-Ready

Duluth
    Ok so i flat hop-ed the systema bucking and got decent results with the .20's, interested to see how she does with .25's. Though im having an issue on the 11.1 with the tappet not getting back in time for the next shot on full auto, how can i fix this, i already lightened it up. Could my tappet chip be taking to long to delay it and should i trim that down a little?

20. Lefse

Your tappet return spring might be too weak, a common mod is to cut off a couple coils and make a new "hook" at the end. I recommend using at least .28's with flat-hop by the way.