Holster Idea Question

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by Thestig, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Thestig

Thestig Some say... Supporting Member

Colorado Springs and Southern California
    So, today I was talking about making holsters out of different plastics with my dad tonight, and he thought that there would be a cheaper way to do a holster other than Kydex. He said that spray foam, similar to Great Stuff, could be injected into a mold, to create a holster. Now, I feel that Great Stuff would be too fragile, and soft, but what about something that hardened a bit more, and held a shape better? Could something like that work.
    Link to great stuff, I know sometimes Home Depot mobile can be a bit weird: http://m.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-STUFF-16-oz-Gaps-and-Cracks-Insulating-Foam-Sealant/100003351/

And for those that don't understand how the molding would be done, I would have a box, with the gun suspended inside, and then the substance would be poured or injected in.

2. TheCaptainAlmighty

TheCaptainAlmighty New Member

Gallifrey
    It might with a stronger material, but after, you would need to remove the box, and mold the holster. By that I mean, you'd be shaving the material, into whatever shape you want. A box about half the size of the gun. or to what ever size you want. It would probably also need to be a model gun, to not destroy what ever you use. Also, removing the gun would be a great hassle, especially between the front and rear sights. It would be cool to try though, i suggest a training gun, like this.

http://www.ebairsoft.com/weekend-warrior-plastic-dummy-glock17-p-6100.html

This is a cool idea, you just need a better material.

3. Thestig

Actually, what I was thinking was cutting it down the middle, thus removing the gun, an then using a strong epoxy I have to hold it back together.

4. TheCaptainAlmighty

Gallifrey
    That's a good idea. Like screwing Kydex back together after you separate the two pieces? This is a good idea. Any idea for anything stronger than Great Stuff?

5. Thestig

Ok, I have been thinking, researching, and even looking an feeling materials that might work, and I have come up with two new ideas.
    Idea #1) take a spray foam, like Great Stuff, cast the gun in it wit a little extra room, and coat it with a hardener, as it forms a hard shell over the foam, thus creating a hard shelled holster.

Idea #2) Similar to idea #1, except use actual foam brick for the base, for a sturdy and more consistent base. Another plus to this is that if done properly, you could make one for cell phones, and have a hard shell case for your phone on the field, to protect it, as foam doesn't block the waves that cell phones use. The only downside to this is that it forces the need to hand cut out the pistol mould, or risk putting a lot of pressure on the pistol while pushing the foam plates together to imprint the gun inside, as foam can compress somewhat.

6. TheCaptainAlmighty

Gallifrey
    #1 works well, but do what you said originally, don't leave extra room inside though. Make a box of holster, cut it into two pieces, and then shave off the excess on the outside, make a shape you like, and then coat it.

7. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
  8. Thestig

The extra room is for the hard coat to go inside as well.

I want to experiment. The foam I have (which is polystyrene), I get for free, so I see no reason why not to try something new. If it fails, so what. I lose a few hours of my life. Big deal. If it succeeds, I get a free holster. I have nothing to lose in my eyes.

9. TheCaptainAlmighty

Gallifrey
    Well, if the extra room is for hard coat, and so is the outside, then why need anything in the middle? Just make it out of the hard coat.

10. Thestig

I think I get what you are saying, but I am not 100% sure. The hard coating is either sprayed on, or dipped on (as in putting the whole thing in a bucket of solution), or taped on, using fiberglass tape.

11. TheCaptainAlmighty

Gallifrey
    You could just make a clay mold.

12. Thestig

I am bringing this thread back, as I have done some work on the polystyrene holster. The only problem I have is that when I turn it upside-down, the gun falls out. How do Kydex holsters hold the guns in? I was thinkin about putting a textured surface inside to fix the problem, but don't know...

Here are pics:

I know that it is still a block, it will be cut down to a reasonable size afterwards. Amazing part is how light it is.

Attached Files:

13. TheCaptainAlmighty

Gallifrey
    Kydex has a tighter, more specific mold.

14. Thestig

Ok. To solve that, because I do have a tight mould, I put non-abrasive tape on the inside, and I am going to make a strap to go around the backside of the gun.

15. TheCaptainAlmighty

Gallifrey
    And then the only problem left is size.

16. Thestig

It is fit to size. I cut the gun into place, so it is fairly close.

It is goin to be a larger holster, but have LOTS of protection for the gun.

17. TheCaptainAlmighty

Gallifrey
    What do you mean by protection?

18. Thestig

It won't be damaged if I, say fall, or something.