Homebrew VSS Vintorez (Killbucket based)

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by redtail, Jan 10, 2013.

1. redtail

redtail Member

Hey guys! I'm new here, so I figured I'd show off the shiny toys I made so you'll think I'm cool.

First up is a modified version of the VSS Vintorez design by Killbucket.
    The base is a JG Dragunov, with the addition of some ABS plate stock, bulkheading reinforcement, ABS glue to fill in voids on the side of the receiver, ABS plumbing pipe, and judigious application of paints to simulate a metal with a blued finish.

Photos!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is NOT a private design! YOU can and should build one yourself! It's awesome, lightweight, durable, and catches a ton of attention from redsofters.

2. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Wow looks great man :D

I love the paint finish :)

3. Fyzix

Fyzix Fyzzy Was Here. Supporting Member

Garland
    That is very beautiful. Makes me want to run out and get a Dragunov. Lol.

4. redtail

redtail Member

Thanks a ton! I etch the surface down with successively finer sandpapers until I can get a good high-build auto primer to look smooth, sand it down a little, hit it with nonreflective black Rustoleum camo paint, then add my silver metal wear effects (this has more silver on it than I'd actually prefer) then coat it with satin clear after everything dries. Makes it look like a worn-out Eastern-bloc finish.

5. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That's a very interesting gun, I like seeing guns that stand out in a crowd. :)

6. redtail

redtail Member

Nor, you should check out my pistol! :D

I'llb e putting up a build thread for my latest creation soon, that's definitely one that'll stick out in the crowd.

7. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yeah, I saw your pistol, very creative. ;)

8. redtail

redtail Member

Cool, thanks! My next build is a little less creative design-wise as it is construction-wise.

9. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    God I need time to build this -____-

10. soviet

soviet Active Member

Will my A&K SVD work for this?

11. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    I'm pretty sure it would :)

Can't see a reason why it wouldn't :) still got to do custom work lol

12. soviet

soviet Active Member

I'm doing it!! Sometime in the future.

13. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

Well, I think you need one that takes 5.45 mags like the JG.

14. soviet

soviet Active Member

Crap... That's a bummer. I have a great dislike for the JG.

15. redtail

redtail Member

The A&K absolutely will *not* work for this project because it is in fact based on the SVD, as opposed to the AK pattern. The JG SVD is an all plastic AK47 underfolder body with a thumbhole stock and a long barrel grafted on, and it works great for this purpose. Takes standard V3 core parts, meaning it's not a silly springer rifle that can't be upgraded. :D

WHy no love for JG? If you're buying a rifle to core it out, why pay extra for good parts you're going to get rid of? The JG V3 core works great for short-term use, and with the reinforcement you'll be doing on the body, there's no room to complain about JG's awful blue metal flake finishes. XD

16. soviet

soviet Active Member

I don't like there AKs in general, will the CYMA SVD work?

I also have a 3D which I can use. :)

17. redtail

redtail Member

No, like I said, the design *must* use a plastic AK47 base instead of anything metal or anything not an AK47.

I guess you could use a metal gun for the base, but I know I wouldn't trust my ability to weld aluminum plate to pot-metal with the tools I have. Not to mention, painting... Ugh. Nightmare. XD

But yeah, if you have a plastic AK you like, a TM Beta Spetsnaz and a recovered RPK barrel and front sight would even work, but you'd end up with a protruding pistol grip and regular stock instead. That might not be bad though, you could pull the stock off and replace it with a tubular sidefolder and have an AS-VAL. Mind you though, if you have a left-side folder, you can't drill and tap the receiver for a scope rail.

18. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Brazing the metal would be sufficient.

19. redtail

redtail Member

I'm just gonna say it. THis thing would be qway too heavy if you made it out of metal. XD

20. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Not if you made it from aluminum. It's still weight a good amount, though.