Featured hopup/feeding questions

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by PocketBlaster, Jan 14, 2022.

1. PocketBlaster

PocketBlaster New Member

Los Angeles
    hello all,

in this thread I'll just be asking questions about hop ups that I've had for a while and just couldn't get answered. hopefully any others that have the same questions as me can also find the answers here as well. any input is appreciated, as hopups and feeding are some of the things i know the least about.

1. when all aegs are at rest (assuming they're working properly), should the air nozzle always be in its forward most position?
    2. should the air nozzle be able to come in contact with the lips on the packing, or should there be space between the nozzle and packing lips, even when the nozzle is in its forward-most position?
    3. could overspin cause the tappet to start moving backwards at the end of a cycle? e.g. nozzle isn't in it's forward-most position after the end of a cycle because it's already started to be pulled back

thank you in advance!

2. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

So gearboxes have a cutoff, any momentum will result in overspin, which pulls back the tappet almost always and the piston a bit. Overspin isn't not inherently bad as it basically precocks the gun and loads the round, however overspin is bad when it's so much that it cycles more than once or lands in a different spot every time to the point semi doesn't really work. High speed builds have to be built around this issue to prevent it or a mosfet with active breaking but that generates heat and stress. Without the precocking effect of some overspin, a aeg will take longer to fire in semi, and you will hear the gears more than a freespin into the cycle does normally with overspin.

The nozzle should engage the packing lips fully when forward, this happens at the end of the cycle roughly so its hard to see with it moving so fast.

However at the end of a cycle the gears should not rotate backwards ever or something is wrong with the anti reversal latch. They do however have to rotate back a hair to engage into that latch depending on how many latch catches the bevel gear has.

PocketBlaster likes this.

3. PocketBlaster

PocketBlaster New Member

Los Angeles
    thanks for the insight! i knew there was always some continued momentum within a gear system, but i just never considered that there was a natural level of "overspin" that was permitted for usual use. really appreciate it.

also, I've encountered a very interesting M4 in which the air nozzle is always in the most retracted position at the end of a cycle, meaning the hopup is open a BB can get into the hopup (not seated in the packing though). upon firing, the nozzle punches forward, seats the BB, fires, and retracts and loads as usual. i thought this was just a secluded incident with just this gun, but i observed the exact same thing on another unit of the same model.

is this a manufacturing error, or is it just how this specific V2 gb works? (btw, the gun in question is the adaptive armament aa-15, of which i have not found any literature on this issue or even the gun itself)

4. Ben3721

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  5. PocketBlaster

PocketBlaster New Member

Los Angeles
    super interesting. thanks for this! also, what better microswitches are there out there, especially that are compatible with this shell?

6. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Better microswitches...slim to none.

The ones used are proprietary to the Airsoft market and really to a few makers.

7. Ben3721

I believe jefftron makes a internal mosfet for this shell.

I changed my microswitch to a better one but still use a external mosfet. The switch being used isn't for DC power and isn't rated to handle DC Amps. It's just cheaper and that's why it was used.

I think one could swap the shell out to vfc spec and keep ambidextrous functionality and open up internal mosfet options. I could be wrong.

8. PocketBlaster

PocketBlaster New Member

Los Angeles
    would you happen to know how well a vfc spec gearbox shell would play with others, such as shs and lonex internal parts? I know their quick change spring guides and spring guides in general have some issues with cross compatibility. also, would they be able to fit into an adaptive armament receiver without modification?

9. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Lonex parts are Taiwan...they should be okay in a VFC.

SHS...not so much...it will have tolerance issues.

10. PocketBlaster

PocketBlaster New Member

Los Angeles
    for these tolerance issues, would that include shs gears as well or mostly just compression parts?

11. Ben3721

Certain cylinders are more narrow than some. Which means they will fit some shells that need a more narrow cylinder. A caliper can be used to check, and a few sellers have the diameter of their cylinders listed or you can ask them.

The adaptive armament accepts lonex cylinders. Mine uses one.

Once in awhile you'll also get a cylinder that is a hair too long in some shells but careful sanding fixes that.

Lonex compression parts are really high quality. Just because it's plastic doesn't mean it's worse than aluminum, it's a durable, light plastic. If you get a full lonex compression kit and pair it with a nice spring and a quality packing/hop up, you'll get like +-2fps.

Shs nozzles fit very loose.

Aluminum nozzles also wear out cylinder head nozzle tubes and wear a grove into a hop up unit over time.

Lately shs/gmt/rocket gears have been pretty good, some use different bevels, and the newer ones use a different sector design. Shs gears are easy to shim as well, I've found most the time when I finish shimming the gears axles are literally protruding exactly the same all around. Meaning the designer did a decent job. However the screws and their holes need cleaned then glued of they will come out.

There's also some new batches of zci gears for very cheap. They have a good spur design and the bevel and sector are fine, the sector uses a PIM casted upper but they are just as durable for most builds. Ive actually never broken PIM gears myself. They also were able to cut the other teeth better for these later batches. I lnow a set of zci 13:1 in a mp5 since 2014 that have seen use basically every weekend since then.

I can provide photos of anything if any of ya want to see.