How can I get my G&P M16VN up to par with my G&P M16A1?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by OverdriveRules, Nov 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. OverdriveRules

OverdriveRules Member

OK, so anyone who's read my threads knows that I own two G&P M16s: an M16A1, which I bought back in late 2015, and an M16VN, which I bought a few years later, mainly as a reserve gun in case one of my primaries fouls up or a friend or family member needs a gun for a game. I love them both, although the thing is, I got the VN from Evike, and Guges once told me that the Evike-spec G&P guns aren't the same quality as the "Asian-spec" ones that one might get from RedWolf or wherever, and if that truly is the case, then I'd like to upgrade my M16VN so it's on the same level as my M16A1. What should I do?

2. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a matter of upgrades to make them equal. One is just a higher quality overall. Guges would be able to accurately sum it up.

I don't think they even share external specs if rumors are true.

3. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    I think Ben is on the right track with the externals. I also think it has something to do with the internals as well. Like the gearboxes were made poorly or something. That along with the externals would mean it is practically a totally different rifle quality wise and/or spec wise.

When Guges chimes in, I am predicting his advice: Get a new rifle and for God's sake don't buy G&P from Evike!

While we are on the topic, how are you liking the G&P m16? I was thinking about picking and asian one up myself. That or an E&C m16 because I am cheap.:D

4. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    I also have a G&P M16, and with a Perun Hybrid installed and a Tienly 45k that thing is a beast. I would recommend it any day of the week.

Which is weird, because I always disliked the look and feel of M16's, the foregrip just felt too cheap and plastic. But then I got offered one for $110 shipped with a case and extra mags and couldn't resist. Turns out I actually like the M16.

Squad144 likes this.
  5. OverdriveRules

OverdriveRules Member

I gotta be honest, I was thinking about replacing the upper and lower receivers because 1. I like the authentic Colt trademarks on my M16A1, 2. The hinge on the upper receiver is broken, and 3. Well...you'll see once I replace them.

Anyways, as I mentioned earlier, even if the Evike-spec guns aren't on par with the Asian-spec ones, I love both of mine. With at least a 9.6v NiMH battery, those guns are pellet hoses. Accuracy seems good, and I also like how they'll do at least 300 FPS with .25 gram pellets, which is important to me because if I hit someone, I want them to know it. I mean, when I got a Tokyo Marui AKS-47 from RedWolf, I had it upgraded from them because I was concerned that Tokyo Marui's sub-300 FPS ratings wouldn't be enough for my opponents to feel it properly.

Back on track, I feel the G&P M16s are the best M16s you can possibly buy. Granted, they're not the cheapest, but sometimes, you get what you pay for.

6. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    I surmise the Evike unit has the G&P logo and not Colt logo's? That will determine it's age.

Look at the Evike mechbox and see if it has plastic bushings over the G&P bearings.

Are the FPS the same?

7. OverdriveRules

OverdriveRules Member

It does indeed have the G&P markings. I haven't cracked open the mechbox, but the M16VN does about 330 FPS with .25 gram pellets. Furthermore, it used to have an orange birdcage-type flash suppressor, which technically would've made it an SP1, but a black metal duckbill-type was also included, so I took off the birdcage, spray-painted the duckbill bright orange (because I really don't want these to be mistaken for real guns) and installed that.

8. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    330 with .25 is a bit low...but if you left the spring compressed for months...it will drop to that level.

Until you look at the bushings...the quality of the AEG is not discerned yet. But the G&P 6mm logos is not a good sign.

9. OverdriveRules

OverdriveRules Member

I don't recall ever leaving the spring compressed, but I did think it was a bit odd since my M16A1 does 370-380 with .25s.

10. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    If you fire the AEG in FA and and don't release the spring...you left it compressed.

11. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    Arcturus has this awesome feature that allows you to push a lever under the trigger guard to release the anti reversal latch. I am all about remaining old school and standard but I think more companies should implement this feature. It sure would save a lot more springs!:D

12. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    ummm...I have to check on that...

13. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    I don't know... that seems like a good idea except I have 2 concerns:

1. There can be a lot of tension on the AR latch when the spring is compressed and I wonder how long this lever would last under it. Then it breaks and is another useful and good feature that now doesn't work.

2. What are the chances of something jamming up or accidentally hitting the lever while firing and running into problems?

I don't have any experience with this system, so I can't say for sure whether it is good or not. It sounds like another good (but proprietary) idea that may cause more problems than it fixes.

14. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

A quality spring doesn't really wear out from sitting somewhat compressed. Maybe a bit but not nearly as much as using it all the time.

For a arl latch to have a way to release, they have to have extra material so it can engage/reach a release system. This adds weight to the small rapid moving part. If the arl doesn't have enough time to flick into the bevel cutouts completely it can slip out and then catch and chip stuff.

15. Graybeard

Graybeard Active Member

Silver Spring
    I have an old AEG that the forward assist releases spring tension…..or it makes a noise that’s supposed to be the releasing of the spring tension. I’ve never really used it. Can’t get past the sound of AEGs….

16. OverdriveRules

OverdriveRules Member

UPDATE: So, I got the gun and gearbox apart today, and the bushings appear to be the metal ones from what I can tell. I don't know if I'll replace those, but I'm definitely replacing the upper and lower receiver.

17. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    So it has bushings and not bearings?

Can you snap a picture of the internal parts and post it? A group shot is all you really need to do, initially.

18. OverdriveRules

OverdriveRules Member

It most likely has bearings now that I think about it. Anyways, the gun is at my father's house right now, so I can't exactly take a picture right now, but I'll get to it when I can.

19. OverdriveRules

OverdriveRules Member

UPDATE: Took another look. Those are definitely bearings. I was unable to get a picture because my camera is having issues right now, but I'll update with a pic once I get one if you absolutely, positively need one.