How do I get my shot timer to work?

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by ex-Gooserider, Dec 4, 2021.

1. ex-Gooserider

ex-Gooserider New Member

North Billerica
    I just purchased a shot timer in an effort to better simulate the IDPA shooting I'm trying to get better at. It is a "Special Pie M1A2" which advertises itself as having an airsoft mode. I have set it to that mode, and tried pretty much every combination of Filter and Sensitivity it offers and haven't been able to get it to pick up my shots. I've even tried holding it next to the gun in my off hand while firing with my strong hand, still won't work...

The manual (Written in 'Chinglish' :rolleyes:) is far from clear about the settings...

It was an Ebay purchase so I can probably enter a case and send it back, but I'd rather have it work for me.

Does anyone use this model timer, and have any suggestions?

Any alternatives that you can suggest that might work better?

2. ex-Gooserider

ex-Gooserider New Member

North Billerica
    I got a response from Pie support that has partly helped. (and props to them for responding quickly!) I was told that 'airsoft mode' is only for use with a special sensor target. Instead I should use 'firearm' mode same as a real gun, and set the 'sensibility' to 7 and have the timer w/in one meter of the gun.... It seems to work on regular shooting, but not consistently in "Par" (Time to draw and fire 1st shot after the beep).

What is confusing is there is no 'sensibility' adjustment - there are two different places to set 'sensitivity' and another place to set 'filter'

I plan on writing to them again to get some clarification, but thought I should post my results so far...

ex-Gooserider

3. ex-Gooserider

ex-Gooserider New Member

North Billerica
    More of an update - I got a second reply, and between that and experimenting with the unit, I have it pretty well figured out, and it works pretty well, although the interface is a bit of a pain.

The two places to set sensitivity are both for the same adjustment and is what they meant by 'sensibility'. It was suggested that I set it to 8 (the maximum) and that works. I didn't get any explanation of 'filter' and since it works when I have it set on 1, I haven't messed with it. I believe it is supposed to keep the unit from registering other people's shots when on a range, and I don't need that since I'm by myself.

The problem I had with Par mode seems to have been more user error and not understanding how it worked. Basically they had two settings, 'time' and 'cycle'. Cycle is how many times you have to do a draw and fire against the clock. Time is how long you have between the start beep and the end beep when it stops timing and starts the countdown to the start beep for the next round (this delay can be for either a fixed or random number of seconds). If you don't get your shot off in the time window, it records a zero... I was initially using a random time for the delay, which made it confusing as to whether I was in the timing window or the delay window. I now use a fixed delay time, and that makes it work better as it is easier to keep track of the window.

If anyone asks, I can go through the entire operating sequence, but for now suffice to say that I'm reasonably pleased with the unit. I will also say good things about their technical support's responsiveness.

ex-Gooserider