How do I turn my CM028S like this?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by AznMunkay, Aug 16, 2012.

1. AznMunkay

AznMunkay New Member

Providence
    I was looking around google to find out how to shorten my AK and found a guy on a forum turning his CM028 into this CQB AK47 thing that he calls an AK47U, I don't care about the drum mag mod or the rail on the bottom handguard, I just want to know how do I properly cut the outer and inner barrel.

Attached Files:

2. AznMunkay

AznMunkay New Member

Providence
    My planned AK when finished.

Attached Files:

3. richman992

richman992 Well-Known Member

Rochester
    I'd use a dremel on the outer barrel and a pile cutting tool on the inner barrel. Don't use a dremel on an inner barrel because it will leave spurs of metal, it doesn't cut cleanly...

4. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    Cutting your barrel with a dremel is fine. Just use a cut off disk and clean up the cut afterwards.

5. richman992

Rochester
    Or just use a pipe cutter and get it done twice as fast and not have to clean up the cut. I guess it's just a matter of efficiency.

6. AznChimp

AznChimp New Member

Looks like I don't have any of those so I decided to use a clamp and a hack saw, is this good enough?

7. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    Um...don't use a "cut" to cut the barrel...you'll bend it....dremel with cutting disc.

Also...other than that you HAVE to recrown the barrel....

8. richman992

Rochester
    the tool I'm thinking of will only bend the barrel if you use it improperly. Let me see if I can figure out what it's actually called...

EDIT: I guess it's just called a handheld pipe cutter. It's a plumbers tool, and it won't bend the barrel. It's designed to cut through copper pipe and stuff like that, I've used one plenty of times. So id imagine since it cuts clean on copper, it would cut cleanly on the similarly malleable metals foun in aeg barrels (brass, aluminium)Here's what it looks like. You spin it around the pipe, and slowly tighten it until it cuts through. As long as you do it without walking the blade everywhere, you get a nice clean cut.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  9. AznMunkay

AznMunkay New Member

Providence
    Duuuude I'm so going to do that...

10. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

Do you have two accounts hahahaha? AZNmunkay and AZNchimp

11. AznMunkay

AznMunkay New Member

Providence