How do you make a gun more quiet?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by ArielNechemia, Jul 20, 2012.

1. ArielNechemia

ArielNechemia New Member

Hello guys ,i have a gun that is a bit loud and i was wondering if there is anything i can get or anything i can to make it less loud?

2. CoppertopNeasg

CoppertopNeasg New Member

Boston
    Sorbothane pads, good shimming and a nice motor.

3. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Aluminum pistonheads tend to make the gun a bit louder than plastic pistonheads too.

4. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero Active Member

Furniture foam inside any spaces.capable of it. Make sure your gearbox can't wobble within the gun.

5. willer2122

willer2122 Member

Pittsburgh
    A loud gun can sometimes have an 'intimidation' factor. People hear it and think twice before advancing. That said, there isn't too much you can do besides whats already said. I know thicker guns are quite a bit quieter than your AK's and M4's. Like my f2000 is pretty sneaky.

6. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    The biggest impact you would get would be to glue a ring of sorbothane to your piston head. I believe Clandestine sells the individual rings.

7. ld513

ld513 New Member

Cincinnati
    Jake, I believe shimming helps more.... And OP search before posting. This has been covered many times. Look in the similar threads at the bottom of this page.

8. Fickert

Fickert New Member

Covington
    Also, if your talking about barrel "pop", match your barrel volume to your barrel length. Like, if you have an m16 length barrel, go type 0 cylinder since it is rated 500mm on up, but if you have a lets say 407mm tightbore like me, I use a type 1 which is rated for 400mm or less, it actually makes my gun very quite, because my gearbox isn't pushing out extra air. And its an m4 variant, which is usually a little bit louder than others. Along with motor height, and shimming to your motor, starting with the bevel gear with the motor mounted to the gearbox.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  9. ArielNechemia

ArielNechemia New Member

Is there anything i can get for a m4 AEG like from airsoft gi or evike?

10. 703

703 Active Member

Not really, Most of the stuff is DIY. You can't just buy one part to make the gun quite. Pretty much anything and everything you can do to limit noise has been said. Read through them and then research them.

Note : Anything you do will require opening the gearbox. Factor labor & part costs into this. If you DIY you can take out the labor factor.

Second note : You might not notice a big difference depending on what you do so is it woth it ? Well thats up to you.

11. ArielNechemia

ArielNechemia New Member