how far should a decent gun shoot?

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by newbieairsoft123, Sep 21, 2012.

1. newbieairsoft123

newbieairsoft123 New Member

I bought a new a&k m4 s system and when i shot it the bbs start dropping and losing momentum at around 40 feet. I need to point my gun up so the bbs can travel further. Is this what you guys normally do or is my gun crap? but my gun also has a hop up feature I'm not to sure what its supposed to do. Is the hop up usually on when you get the gun or do you have to enable the hop up feature yourself after you purchase it? Sorry for sounding stupid I don't know anything about airsoft guns lol and the Manuel that came with it only tells me how to put in the battery's and how to charge. Lol so please help? :)

2. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    Clean your barrel using the included cleaning rod, a soft cotton cloth and a dab of silicone oil. Cut up an old t-shirt for the cotton and buy some R/C car shock oil for the silicone. Turn your hop up all the way off to do it (you should have to rotate the hop wheel counter clockwise to turn it off). Once you've cleaned your barrel, start playing around with your hop up. You don't want it turned all the way up, that will stop the bbs from going into your barrel and you'll jam the gun. Give it quarter turns (clock wise) until the bbs start curving upwards. Then back it off bit by bit until you get a nice flat trajectory.

If your gun is working properly, you should probably have an effective range of about 150 feet without lobbing the bbs any.

3. Whiplashairsoft1

Whiplashairsoft1 New Member

42 Wallaby Way
    Knief is right. Many stock AEGs shoot around 150 feet.

The hopup is standard on almost every airsoft gun. It consists of a protrusion that the bb sort of bumbs against as it goes through the barrel. This makes the bbs spin backwards as it flies forward, making the bb float up or at least stopping it from falling down.

4. newbieairsoft123

Thanks guys, :D you really help alot!! I never new that RC car oil is better then gun oil! lol I was about to use hoppes gun oil! aeg airsofts internals are completely different from a real guns internals so it would make perfect sense to use RC car oil since there kind of similar thanks again! I will give It a try. :)

5. newbieairsoft123

I plan on buying more guns in the future. So is it recommended to do this to every gun i buy? Does every legit pro airsofter do that when they get a new gun or should the aeg already be ready to shoot out of the box? I'm wondering if my gun is crappy or not. lol :)

6. Whiplashairsoft1

Whiplashairsoft1 New Member

42 Wallaby Way
    Yes, watch out for other oils. Oils and chemicals that are petroleum based will ruin the internals of your gun. Good luck!

It’s always a good idea to clean your barrel when you get a new gun. The A&K M4s aren’t bad. They’re not the best guns on the market, but they’re decent.

Also, if you want to learn more, you can click “forum” then click some of the different sections (Electric guns, general airsoft discussion, etc.) and read the threads labeled “sticky”. They’re very informative threads that will answer almost every question you have in the beginning.

7. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    Real gun oil contains petroleum distillates. Petroleum distillates eat rubber. Your AEG has some important rubber parts, most notably the hop up, that you don't want eaten. R/C oil is 100% pure silicone oil, you can get it in a variety of weights (you generally want 10-20 wt), it's very cheap, and it's not in a spray can, which makes it better than any general purpose lubricant marketed at airsoft players.

I can't speak for everybody else, but I always clean out the barrel on all of my new guns. Factories are filthy places. They're just full of dust and grime, and some of that is bound to end up in your barrel. I've never seen a gun come from the factory that didn't have a barrel full of crud. If you use a white T-shirt (or whatever you use for your swab), you'll see it come out streaked in black and dark brown. That's all the crap getting between your bb and your barrel.

8. averageairsofter

averageairsofter New Member

Menifee
    Well the first thing you'll want to do is turn the hop-up higher. Usually when you first get a gun the hop-up will be all the way off(which will decrease the range of your gun to like 50 feet) so by turning it up you should see a huge range improvement.