How many High-caps

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by rjzilla1, Jul 15, 2015.

1. rjzilla1

rjzilla1 New Member

Just wondering how many high-cap you guy go through a game?
    As assault as defense as any position.

2. Allizard

Allizard Member

Brea
    That's a pretty general question. how many moving targets are we talking about? And are you playing 5 mins? 30 mins? 1 hour? the entire day or one of those 3 days event?

3. cow

cow New Member

In one 30 min woodland game I go thought 2-3.

4. rjzilla1

rjzilla1 New Member

all day events is usually what I go to.

5. TheCollector

TheCollector New Member

I use hi-caps...I say for let's say for an hour indoor game...maybe 3 depending on how many people are playing. And for an hour outdoor game...maybe 5.

I am talking about 450 round hi-caps btw...idk what your count is.

6. rjzilla1

rjzilla1 New Member

Ok so as a beginner,how many hi-caps do you think I should invest in right away?

7. luciouseyebrowz

luciouseyebrowz New Member

Philadelphia Suburbs
    Get one of those packs of 10, there usually around 50 dollars, and more than you need.

8. Kopis

Kopis Active Member

Are you guys daft? A highcap holds ALOT. I run a GBBR and it takes me a few hours before I need to reload my magazines. Get 1-2 highcaps as backups and 5 midcaps.

Buy my UBR, 60 +shipping CONUS

9. TheCollector

TheCollector New Member

I'm not sure that a 10 pack is $50...rjzilla1, be prepared to spend more then $50 on a 10 pack..

As a beginner I would buy 2 hi-caps. You don't want to spend a lot of $$$ unless you are committed to airsofting.

10. dubyas1989

dubyas1989 New Member

saranac
    I gotta agree with kopis, you guys are trigger happy if your going through multiple hi-caps a game.
    I carry four extra realcaps a game and don't usually use all of them.

11. I_Am_Coopa

I_Am_Coopa New Member Supporting Member

Escanaba
    This. Midcaps > highcaps

1. Midcaps are not tactical maracas that give away your position.

2. No winding required, and thus, you don't have to worry about a mechanism getting broken or clogged.

3. Realism, actually having to reload is enjoyable, makes you feel tacticool.

4. Conservation of ammo. If I ever have to use a highcap for some reason, I tend to shoot more BBs. With a midcap, I'm more inclined to only shoot semi only and make less shots that count more. BBs are already cheap, but making a bag last more is nice.

5. Price per magazine is much more affordable. I got 10 midcaps for $50.

So to conclude, there really isn't a reason to use a high capacity magazine unless you just love to spray and pray. I keep my one highcap with my gear bag at the staging area as insurance in case for some crazy reason, all of my midcaps suddenly break.

Haven't used a highcap in a game since I have used midcaps.

12. rjzilla1

rjzilla1 New Member

What do you guys think of box mags?

13. Allizard

Allizard Member

Brea
    If the people the you play with don't care you using boxmag then sure. Roll it like a thug. Otherwise those milsim guys will give you a hard time for using a box-mag on a non-LMG weapon.

I'd done my fair share of stupid airsoft back in 2005.
    [​IMG]

14. rjzilla1

rjzilla1 New Member

Does the box mag make a lot of noise when you move?

15. COASTsniper1

COASTsniper1 Active Member

I don't own one, but my buddies SAW is fairly noisy. As far as rattling goes, it's like a hi-cap on steroids. The sound is deeper though, so I think while both would be easy to hear, the box mag probably would be a little quieter than the high caps (in other words, you'd hear both, but the normal hi-caps would be a little louder if that makes sense).
    Statements are based on guesses. I've not actually gave the guy a high cap along with his box and told him to run, so I'm not 100% sure.

16. Allizard

Allizard Member

Brea
    Oh yeah, that is 5000 bb drum mag. Of course it rattles. If stealth is your priority than don't use one.

17. Jerichow

Jerichow Member

Lakeville
    Well good for you - not all of use shoot once every 5 minutes, OP wants a semi-realistic answer.

It can depend on the role/game/side I'm on. I've gone through as few as 4 hicaps in a 6+ hour game, to as high as 13 hicaps in the same game on another day.

If you have limited cash, a good way of starting off is getting yourself a basic mag pouch kit and a just enough hicaps to fill it up with one in your gun. For example:

My rig consists of a tripple double-stack M4 mag pouch that holds 6 total, but has a 7th single M4 mag pouch on the center(molle), giving me room for 7 mags total, plus one in my gun.

On my back I have a medium sized pouch which contains a spare bag of BBs, so if I ever run out of ammo, or we have time to spare, I will take a breather and refill my hicaps.

If you're strapped on cash, I'd suggest starting with two dual-M4 molle mag pouches, and have them attached somewhere on your rig, be it your vest or belt, and get 4 hicaps. 1200 rounds (1500 including your gun) should be enough to hold you over for the majority of any engagement and when you have time to reload, just refill them with a bag of BBs you can carry on you in another pouch.

But I agree, Midcaps are generally better, and even I've started transitioning over to them. No noise, fairly cheap, easy enough to load, and they'll force you to be at least a little more conservative on your ammo so your money goes farther. Also, midcaps for M4s can generally reach 140-190 rounds per mag now, so there isn't much advantage anymore to hicaps.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  18. ManchesterElite_JB

ManchesterElite_JB New Member

No one uses hi caps. Just take one for a back up for the rest of your mid caps.

19. TheCollector

TheCollector New Member

Ok guys, let's figure this out...my hi-caps hold 450 each and sell for $30...now let's say that the mid-cap holds 140-190 each and sells for $10 each.

Now...of one hi-cap holds 450 and the mid-caps hold 140-190,then that means that you need about 3 of them to have the amount that the hi-cap holds.

The price will be about the same, so it's down to preference.

Do you want to run around with less mags but be a bit louder (hi-caps)? Or do you want to carry quite a few and be quieter (mid-caps).

So...there ya go

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  20. ManchesterElite_JB

ManchesterElite_JB New Member

My mid caps were $7 and work perfectly. I carry three in the front and two on my battle belt