how many mags?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by henrymac6, Jul 26, 2012.

1. henrymac6

henrymac6 Member

lexington
    how many high cap or mid cap magazines should i get for a new gun I'm getting?

2. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    2 hi-caps is all you need.

3. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    2 hicaps or 6 midcaps is all you'll need for a day of play. If you burn through that you need to work on trigger control

4. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    Personal prefrance...How much do you shoot / What type of field is it / do you have a way to carry your extra mags... Plus a lot more factors.

I agree with alex 2 hicaps should be plenty. I generally have a hicap in my gun and a 75rd midcap on my belt incase the hicap runs out. I've only had to use the midcap in several games. Midcaps can hold a variety from 30rds all the way up to ~140 so depending on witch ones you get will depend on how many you should carry. I would say ~600-700rds would be more than enough for one game if not several.

5. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    Six to eight midcaps is a pretty standard load. Assume you don't load them full and you're getting anywhere from 600-1000 rounds on your person. If you're burning through that before lunch, you should work on your accuracy and shot choices (I'm assuming you're not running a support weapon, which would change this conversation greatly). You don't want to spray. You'll be more effective if you're placing a few well aimed rounds down range at targets you can hit.

Also, hicaps suck a lot. Go with mid caps.

6. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    I carry 8 100 rd mid-cap mags but only use 2 per game.
    All depends on your play style.

7. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    For my M14 I have 3 highcaps and 1 mid. I carry the highcaps halfway full, for realism. Recently got 2 more mids so I will probably run 3 mids and 1 or 2 highs

8. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    I run 5 midcaps and 2 hi-caps, just in case someone decided they don't want to call their hits.

9. Robin-Hood

Robin-Hood Active Member

My recommendation would be to buy a 10 pack of cheap mid caps, you can get a box for like $50 or $60, which is like $5 a mag. Much better than $15 per high cap or something.

10. TheAirsoftTech

TheAirsoftTech New Member

I carry 5 mids, I'v never run out mid game since I got 5 mids. I only use 2 a game for CQC and around 3-4 for field.

11. averageairsofter

averageairsofter New Member

Menifee
    I run two midcaps and four hicaps and I've pretty much never had to use more than 600 rounds in an hour of outdoor play. Sometimes I'll only go through less than 100 bbs in an hour and still get 4 kills. Trigger control is one of the most important things to have in airsoft. The reason I have all these mags is because I used to go through 1000 bbs in a game, just spraying and praying, but I decided to use semi more and to use my sights and now I can get more kills with 100 bbs than I used to get with 1000. And it's also a lot easier on the wallet. :) So it really depends on you play style, but 2 hi-caps should be enough.

12. WaikoloaAirsoft808

WaikoloaAirsoft808 New Member

I use two high caps and I'm set a 450rd and a 300rd. My games last anywhere from 30-1:30 minutes. I usually only use my one high cap that holds 450rds and have the 300rd just in case.

13. Jelly

Jelly New Member

San Jose
    My friend brings 12 High Caps with him whenever he plays....he never runs out of ammo, but I still love mah mid caps!

14. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    12 hicaps ? Thats just a little overkill...Thats roughly 4300rds. :eek:

15. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    I have played for 5 hours straight before with 6 mids and not use more than 3. I ahve also played for 2 hours and burned through 5 midcaps. Everything depends on your play style, amount of contact and trigger control. The game i used 5 of my 6 midcaps is because we took control of the central point and were being attacked constantly. You use more rounds defending than attacking

16. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Agreed, even if you only need like 5 or 6 midcaps, it's good to have a few spare mags.

17. willer2122

willer2122 Member

Pittsburgh
    A box of 8 mag midcaps is about $50. When i get some molle pouches and some $$$ i will switch to mids. I think that without pouches you might as well use a hicap because you will lose all your mids trying to hold them in your pockets.

18. CajunAirsoft

CajunAirsoft New Member

Well I got 10 Ares mid caps for 60$. How many you use also depends on how the game plays out ; it may be super slow and ends with little big fire fights or it may be fast paced with bbs flying.

19. henrymac6

henrymac6 Member

lexington
    thanks guys I'm getting a pack of 5 for 45 i think and a new gun for these mags haha but I'm going to use the high cap that it comes with and I'm thinking about getting one extra 600 round higcap