How much FPS to pop a balloon?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by NatZim, Sep 16, 2012.

1. NatZim

NatZim New Member

I there, I was wondering what kind of FPS I would need to pop an average balloon, as I want to use balloons as target for when I get my gun ^_^
    Thanks,
    Nat

2. TheAirsoftTech

TheAirsoftTech New Member

Hmm, that's a great question... I tried it once with my crossman c11 4 and a half years ago and it didn't work. But, I think if you inflated the balloon enough to were the elastic wall is very thin. You could shoot through it with a 350-400FPS AEG. (maybe)

3. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    A lot of it depends on how much you fill it. The fuller it is the easier it will be to break. Balloons arn't exspensive so just fill one up and shoot at it. Other good things to shoot at are pop cans or anything that you can hear the "ping" when it hits.

4. NatZim

NatZim New Member

It's just I have this mannequin body for my mum's fashion stuff, but it doesn't have a head, but you can fit a balloon on it :p

5. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    Body shots. The body is significantly larger than the head making it a better target to aim at. Plus head/face shots are often frowned upon UNLESS it's all a player is giving you.

But to answer your question, it depends on the balloon. Balloons come in a wide variety of thicknesses and sizes, on top of the amount of air inside the balloon makes a difference also.
    Here's a better idea if you REALLY want a head. Get a cardboard box (shoebox sized) and a couple nails and attach it to the mannequin. From there you can draw paper targets and practice your shooting on that.

And for those of you who don't have mannequins, the long shipping boxes are about 3 feet high and make great body-like targets also. Put a towel over it, then attach targets to the towel. This will allow the BB to more easily penetrate without damaging the box too much.

6. NatZim

NatZim New Member

Thanks for the help and the in-depth descriptions :D