How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by Edonkulation, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Edonkulation

Edonkulation New Member

Vinton
    My current loadout is set up with being prepared in mind. However, I feel as if at some points it is too complicated depending on the OP I'm on. I'm going for a USMC based look with my own preferences thrown in.

Here is what I have:

CA M-16 (DMR)
    6-24x50 scope (scope is a bit of overkill but i got it for free lol.)
    Magpul MOE handguards
    Crane stock for better cheekweld

VFC SCAR-L
    EOTech 551 style sight with 3x magnifier (It even does the flippy thing.)
    PEQ-15 Battery box (Used as a temporary storage compartment when I find something small that needs to be kept/returned to someone)
    Surefire QD supressor
    NCStar Tactical light
    *Foregrip with battery compartment (*deonates that I don't remember the brand offhand)
    *Flip up iron sights

Plate Carrier, utilities, ect. (Not going to name brands of the pouches as I feel it would be errelevent)

Condor MPC
    x1 Admin pouch with integrated pistol magazine pouch
    x1 90rd quick deploy AR mag pouch (holds 3 mags side by side)
    x1 Hydration carrier with 3L bladder

Condor Battle Belt (attatched to the PC with 550 cord)
    x2 Pistol magazine pouch (all magazine pouches carry speedloaders for midcap mags)
    x2 Frag grenade pouches
    x1 A.L.I.C.E. triple AR magazine pouch (used as a carry case for the suppressor, extra magazines, optics ect.)
    x1 Magazine recovery dump pouch

Right leg has a thigh rigged pistol holster with an extra pistol magazine pouch and my sidearm

Left leg has a thigh rigged pouch that holds 4 AR mags (double stacked) and 2 pistol magazines (one on each end of the pouch)

The problem I'm having is the unpradictability of the games we run. Sometimes what is intended to be a short 10 minute speedball game turns into an hour and a half long guerrilla warfare game and vice versa. Then there are times when a situation goes sour and I may end up seperated from the whole squad and left to fend for myself. Other times, I can't seem to get rid of them when the situation calls for a wider spread.

Which leads me at the mercy of the Airsoft Society community...

Am I well prepared?

Or should I be on the show "Hoarders"?

2. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    Looks like all you're missing is a handgun and radio.

3. Edonkulation

Edonkulation New Member

Vinton
    I have a Umarex USP 40 but I REALLY need to step it up and get a radio haha.

4. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    Apparently you're not:

None of these things resemble anything used by the Marines. If you happen to be wearing issue MARPAT, that's about the only thing you have that's "Marine." Everything else is just a bunch of airsoft crap thrown together. That's fine if that's how you want to role, but you can't say that it's even close to a Marine kit.

That said, the Condor MPC sucks, even by Condor standards. It's big, boxy, and heavy, on top of all of the terrible build and material quality that goes into every piece of Condor nylon. I highly suggest you look elsewhere, preferably Pantac or FLYYE. When you do settle on a better vest, put your mags on it. They're the most important thing you carry and you want to be able to reach them easily, so they belong front and center on your chest, not out of reach on your leg. That also keeps weight off of your leg, which would otherwise slow you down while running, not to mention flop around uncomfortably.

5. Edonkulation

Edonkulation New Member

Vinton
    I'm guessing that "USMC based" may have been a miswording on my part, what I had meant is that I wanted my own version of the idea.

But the MPC I bought is because of its size (I'm a bigger guy). The main issue I'm personally having is its weight. But when you mention its build/material quality, how long can I expect this to last? I've had it for roughly 6 1/2 to 7 months with weekly rough play and it's holding up well (except for maybe the smell).

Most importanly though, what can I replace the MPC with if and when it does go?, I like that because of its size and the fact that I'm broad shouldered, it covers my body well. However its biggest drawback is that when you put it on, there's a gap where the sides of the vest velcro onto and such, limits my space in the direct front. Based on that, what can you recommend?

6. DadCRO

DadCRO Member

Personally, I think almost everyone overdoses on gear. I'll funtion just fine with BDUs, a chest rig with mag pouches, a leg holster, and my M14 and M9. I mean, do you really need that much ammo?

7. Knief

Ann Arbor
    For a bigger guy, I usually recommend a CIRAS, either Land or Maritime. They're a bigger vest and on the bulky side, but the higher end replicas (Pantac and FLYYE) offer a lot of room for adjustability. I've never seen anybody who couldn't be accommodated by a CIRAS, and I've played with some big dudes. There are two version, the Maritime and the Land. The only real difference is how the cummerbund attaches. On the Maritime, each side of the cummerbund velcros under two flaps to the side of the vest. On the Land, each side of the cummerbund velcros under a flap on the middle front of the vest.

Pictures to illustrate:
    Maritime:
    [​IMG]

Land:
    [​IMG]

The Land has a bit more usable space on it, and I think it's more comfortable. Here are the Pantac and FLYYE replicas of each:
    Pantac:
    http://www.airsoftsmith.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=31_77&products_id=4075
    http://www.airsoftsmith.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=31_77&products_id=1502

FLYYE:
    http://www.shootercbgear.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_50_51_95&products_id=676
    http://www.shootercbgear.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_50_51_95&products_id=397

Quality between the two brands is nearly identical. Take your pic.

As for your current vest, there's no set lifespan. What you see a lot are seams fraying and tearing and webbing ripping loose. But the bigger problems are usually crooked rows of webbing or loops too narrow to weave a pouch through properly. This ends up either limiting your space or putting a lot of stress on just one or two loops instead of distributed across the surface of the vest. When a pouch gets tugged or caught, it either rips out the webbing on the vest or the straps on the pouch. The other major problem is the design of their vests. Companies that manufacture real gear put a lot of work into designing stuff that distributes weight safely and comfortably. If they don't, soldiers carrying 80 lb loads get permanent nerve damage (see: MTV). The companies that make nice reproduction gear benefit from the work done by the high end manufacturers. Companies like Condor, however, make stuff that sort of looks the part, but put no effort into the actual load distribution in their equipment. So you put the same load on a crappy Condor vest and it feels a lot heavier than it would on a better vest. If you load it up enough, you start causing physical harm to your body (see: MTV).

There are a lot of reasons to avoid Condor and other cheap gear, and it's not just the shorter than average expected life span. It really is bad gear. Invest in something better and you'll be much happier in the long run.

8. Edonkulation

Edonkulation New Member

Vinton
    I'm in love with those vests, expecially the FLYYE ones due to the fact that they're a little more budget friendly. Do you know off the top of your head if these can be bought without the pouches?

9. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Why yes:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/combat-gears/vests/molle-vests/flyye-force-recon-vest-ver-land-khaki.html

I do believe they can:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/combat-gears/vests/molle-vests/flyye-force-recon-vest-ver-mar-khaki.html

Other colors are available (Link to Ehobby's vest section, you'll have to sort through to find them but a [CTRL]+[F] for "land" and "ver.mar" will help you find them), though I recommend either Khaki or Coyote Brown. If you really want to do a Marine kit, the Land CIRAS in Coyote Brown is the correct plate carrier for a late 2000s Marine Force Recon kit. There's still a lot you'd need to get in the ball park of it, but that and a set of MARPAT would be a great start. Here's the exact vest:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/combat-g...e-force-recon-vest-ver-land-coyote-brown.html

And a great guide for an MFR kit:

http://miairsoft.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=impressions&action=display&thread=35673

10. L5132

L5132 Active Member

Duluth
    Yes, in fact most places I look don't have many with pouch sets.

EDIT: Sniped while reading Knief's earlier post.

11. Edonkulation

Edonkulation New Member

Vinton
    Thanks alot for the help Kneif and everyone. The FLYYE Land CIRAS is probably going to be the winner. at around $200 though initially out of my budget, it's not much more than what I am willing to pay for one anyway, and I'm probably just gonna get the pouches with seeing as that it has everything I'll need. Luckily I have "Passable" woodland marpat and legit desert marpat. In the meantime, my current rig will probably work until my financial situation will allow such a purchase to be made.

I hate paying bills...

12. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    Go to a Army/Navy surpls store and look for MARPAT. My Local store has a whole rack of used AOR1 and AOR2 MARPAT. $40 for a set!

On another note, one I'm hoping Knife can answer. The MARPAT uniform has Mairnes on the breast pocket. Do I need to hide that when playing?

13. Knief

Ann Arbor
    AOR1 and AOR2 are not MARPAT. MARPAT and AOR1/2 are different patterns used by different branches of the military. Don't confuse them, but definitely don't post that they're the same thing.

14. Grin

Grin New Member Lifetime Supporter

Irvine
    Type II is AOR1 and Type III is AOR2. As Knief said, there's a difference mate.

image-3454331902.jpg

If you don't remove it, don't worry. The problem is when people wear things that they add, like tabs and unit patches.

15. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    Thank you for the correction. Modern military gear and clothing has a much higher learning curve than what I'm used to.